Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with kitchen backsplash and floor
cmottesen
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I just had this new countertop installed today. I need help with ideas for my backsplash. The tile floor (green) needs to be replaced too. I'm overwhelmed thinking about how to tie the floor and 2 countertop colors in with a backsplash that will pull it all together. My tastes tend to be simple, clean, traditional. I am thinking grey, slate-like porcelain tile for floor but not totally set on that.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 6:43PM
cmottesen
I should add that I have butterscotch colored hardwood flooring in adjoining rooms and I've decided not to continue it into the kitchen. I'm choosing tile due to durability.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 6:53PM
PRO
Stoneshop
If you want to incorporate some color, a porcelain slate-look flooring would be very attractive:
[houzz=Beth Davis Interiors]

If you want to stay a little bit more neutral, 12" x 24" gray porcelain tiles would look great as well. They even make some that look like silver travertine.
[houzz=SD House]

For your backsplash, I would look into Carrara marble--either in a subway tile or a smaller mosaic tile.
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 7:07AM
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
How about a floor that can be installed as a back splash? No need to "double think" the colours/material.

Cancork/Icork floor have a brand new product on the market called "Stone-Cork". This product comes in two variations = floating flooring (yes...a stone floor that is floating!!!) and a glue down floor!

The glue down is a true floor! It is 1/8" thick (3mm) is flexible and comes in sheets of 24" x 16". You can have the Stone-Cork laid on the floor AND glued to your back splash!!!

Currently we have 2 colours = Black Slate (traditional dark blue slate) and Silver Slate (silver mica with lots of "flash".

Have a look. It might be something worth considering. If it works, you can choose which installation method suites your floor best.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 8:22AM
cmottesen
Cancork Floor- do you have any pictures of this stone-cork installed? Is it made of cork?
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 8:39AM
bdennison
There is a beautiful tile out there that looks like wood. Here is a link to check it out http://www.woodlooktiles.com/wl-tiles-samona-collection-ceramic-porcelain-tile-driftwood-wood-look-6-x24.html
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 8:45AM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Is your dark countertop absolute black? I like the idea of a very light gray subway tile for the backsplash and a gray tile floor.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 10:41AM
PRO
MarbleWarehousecom
My choice for flooring will be Brazilian gray or black slate.it comes in different sizes.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 3:37PM
PRO
MarbleWarehousecom
White marble mosaic tile for backsplash
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 3:39PM
PRO
DirectBuy of Fort Worth
Daltile's Solistone Folia Glass for the backsplash and for the floor Daltile's city view downtown nite or seaside boardwalk in the 12x24 size. http://products.daltile.com/series.cfm?series=160&
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 3:56PM