Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
New coverings on sliding glass door
elw4797
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I replaced the dated verticle blinds with a double rod with sheers and curtain panels on ring clips. Do you think its an improvement?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
elw4797
A before pic...
February 13, 2013 at 6:40pm   
jwickham
I think the sheers with the panel still look a bit dated. I think it would look better with just the panels. Also, the wall hanging- I think they are plates is a little too close to the window and the panels.
February 13, 2013 at 6:48pm     
PRO
Cabell Design Studio
Hello elw4794,

YES! It's an improvement.... you are allowing light in AND opening up the entire room by deleting the vertical blinds. Doesn't it already FEEL bigger to you?

You might think about a couple of things. The sheers look too formal (they appear to be voile) for the linen drapery and the eye is drawn straight to the top hem which appears as a darker band of white at the top. You might try to find a soft linen sheer instead. If you don't need the sheers for privacy then you might delete them all together.

You might want to press (iron) the linen panels and put them on rings on a slightly larger rod. The rod that is installed looks a little too small to carry the weight of the panels. Slightly unbalanced ?

Keep up the great work and please let us know if we can be of any assistance!

Elizabeth Cabell, ASID, CID
Cabell Design Studio
February 13, 2013 at 7:02pm     
PRO
wesscoblinds
For sure an improvement. I would add another panel or two to the sheer for fullness. It would give it a elegant look
February 13, 2013 at 11:05pm   
PRO
ASVInteriors
The sheers are definitely better than the blinds, but as Elizabeth Cabell points out, that band across the top distracts the eye. Can you find one that hangs more straight (with metal chain sewn in the bottom) and without the band on top.
February 14, 2013 at 12:24am   
PRO
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
I really like the idea of deleting the sheers if possible, I like the panels.
February 14, 2013 at 12:37am   
47olive
i think i would rather see the curtains cover the window only, and not go all the way to the ceiling. .......or use a fabric that you could not see thru. (i'm not crazy about seeing the wall above the window) just a thought
February 14, 2013 at 1:00am     
PRO
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
Me either Olive, but that is the way some are doing it now. We will just have to get use to it I think. I am already starting to get the hang of it ... no pun intended.
February 14, 2013 at 1:34am   
GEE Contracting and Development
Love your choice of curtain material. My change would be to drop the sheers, double or at least go 1.5 fuller in the drapes, add a beautiful 3" rod with gorgeous finials of your choice. It seems you may need privacy so to achieve that place behind your rod horizontal honeycomb blinds in a very sheer fabric. The look will be stunning. PS keep the rod at the ceiling.
February 14, 2013 at 3:16am