Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need advice re. coffee table accents
elidelacruz
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm in the process of decorating my living room (as you can tell by the fear of committing to art on walls). I bought the coffee table on a whim and I've tried for almost a year to find accents that will not clash with the gold trimming of the table. I prefer one piece since I have other accents that I like. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elidelacruz
This is a photo of my living room on left. I'll probably change out the accents for the 5th time this year, lol. I really do need help.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 6:48PM
PRO
VizX Design Studios, LLC
You can buy a medium size glass bowl. Add small rocks or marbles. Fill it up with water and add 3 to 4 floating candles. When the candles are lit at night they will cast a large ring around the table.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 6:49PM
elidelacruz
ooooh, ambiance. thanks!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 7:26PM
Aja Mazin
I like your peacock pillow!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 7:33PM
Darzy
I think it would be nice to go ahead and mix silver with your gold accents. A large silver bowl? A few silver candlesticks? A large photo book with candles and a crystal ball? Mixing metals makes a rooms feel really cozy.

1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 7:48PM
elidelacruz
Brilliant :) I was thinking of adding something silver- I love that bowl.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 7:59PM
Carolyn Hennes
A shallow ceramic planter of mini mixed succulents with space for a votive candle holder and a couple of amulets or interesting rocks in it (penjing style): the table is gorgeous.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 8:11PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
Habersham project://www.houzz.com/photos/383583/Camilla-Molders-Design-contemporary-living-room-Camilla Molders Design Hollywood Residence
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 8:50PM
oneofeleven
How about a beautiful orchid in a ceramic pot. An orchid will bloom for several months and requires very little care, they actually thrive on neglect.
3 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 8:58PM
pie1984
that's exactly what I was thinking oneofeleven! I even got a picture to demonstrate what I had in mind...... :) you can have white orchids or purple to have a pop of colour....
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 9:22PM
pie1984
by the way I love your style... modern asian fusion.... did you pick out those pieces yourself or did you hire a decorator elidelacruz?
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 9:24PM
pie1984
I love your black horses idea sussanna artistea! :)
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 4:11AM
pie1984
or you can also maybe add green aged looking bronze or ceramic horses for a bit of color....
3 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 4:15AM
pie1984
or a green ceramic glazed horse like this would also be nice....
3 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 4:31AM
Darzy
BTW...I love your carved accent table and lamp. I think if you lower the art (more like on the left of the lamp) it will provide a nice vignette. I can't see how tall the art is, but hang it sort of mid way with the lamp.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 12:19PM
elidelacruz
pie1984, thank you for the compliment and yes i designed it myself. i can't afford a designer :(

darzy, i agree. i had a different lamp and taller accents on the table and didn't realize how high the pic. was hung until I posted the pic.

thank you all for sharing your ideas.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 2:01PM
PRO
BM Mid East
I was just scrolling down to post that you need a big show-off multi-Orchid in a gorgeous exotic pot (good reason to head to Nepal or India)...when someone else beat me to the punch ;) (pie 1984 and oneofeleven). i guess its unanimous! You have plenty of amazing pieces of art so be careful on your walls...it wont be an easy one. i would like to start complimenting your many great things in the room (fantastic coffee table) but i would be here all day ;) Fab stuff...I love to travel too. You need some life on the table...I also like the big fat green leaves posted but you can opt to go for some faux stems of the same if you are not able to tend to them...they will add some life & color. I also highly suggest a reall deep wall color that super brave...depending on your taste and the colors in your pillows. LOVE the KLIMT (my fave!). either add a soft punch like Benjamin Moore Linen or go all-out for something like Dark Harbor from Color Stories. Keep up posted...we love to see progress snaps!!! I also love the pic posted above with screens...perhaps you can score a great screen to place behind the couch or even mounted on the wall.
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 10:13PM
pie1984
It doesn't matter if you don't hire a decorator you have great taste on your own elidelacruz! :) I was also thinking instead of orchids you could also opt for birds of paradise in a clear vase like in these pictures to add some bright color and it would go well with your exotic asian theme:)
3 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 12:34AM
anthip
It would be great to see the rest of the space. Gorgeous from what we can see. It looks like a nice light room. I'd love to see a traveller's palm in the mix somewhere. Gorgeous and really complementary to your scheme right now. I love the look below - very similar feeling to yours I think. A little bit of green life totally changes the look of a room.

[houzz=
]
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 12:58AM
anthip
The pop of laminate red in the photo is also lovely and really eye catching with the yellow.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 12:59AM
elidelacruz
BM, dark harbor is very similar to the paint I used for a bedroom that I converted into a dressing room. I am definitely considering a bold color for the room- I just need to put one foot forward and commit already :) I also like the idea of the screens behind the couch. Great suggestions!

Pie & Anthip, I have a confession to make- I have a brown thumb. I am horrified of the thought that another plant won't survive in my care, however, your photos have inspired me to give a plant a happy home :) I love birds of paradise - used them in my bouquet when i eloped to st. lucia :))) The plant and faux bamboo pot on the coffee table are gorgeous.

Thank you all for the inspiration and sharing your wonderful ideas!
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 6:56AM
oneofeleven
A final comment, a small orchid will only run you around $12 to $15 and will last 2 or 3 months. They only require watering 1x a week or even less. You water it by letting water run over the pot for approx one minute (cool, not cold water) and that's it It needs more water when the pot feels light when you pick it up. Most orchids don't like direct bright light, another reason to buy them. Whatever you choose, it will look great as your room is already nice.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 8:44AM
pie1984
What a romantic story... :) Glad you liked my suggestion elidelacruz! Those birds of paradise will blend beautifully in your living room!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 4:05AM