Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with layout for small bathroom/laundryroom addition
Joanne Heidkamp
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I've been so impressed with the help and great ideas offered on this site; I'm hoping you can help me make the best use of space in a small bathroom/laundry addition I'm planning by bumping out into my underused garage. The current end wall of the house goes to about 2 1/2 feet to the left of the door to the basement stairs. By bumping out about 5 feet, and shrinking the kitchen a little, I'll gain room for a bigger entry way from the garage; a new storage closet to the right of the entry door and bathroom/laundry room to the left.

The laundry room will contain toilet, sink, shower and stacked washer dryer. Because of the configuration, I'm gaining a big hallway area and a relatively small laundry/bathroom.

Ideas to make better use of this space? Bumping out a little more into the garage is not out of the question. I've looked at this so long that I'm cross-eyed and would love a fresh perspective. (Ignore kitchen design - this design was just a "placeholder" and is coming along nicely.

Thanks
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Eagledzines
You already have a very nice functional design. Well done.
The only suggestion I could make is to add a small linen closet.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 3:29AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
Could you not turn your shower into a square or rectangular shower and use the panel/wall created by it as a divider for your washer/dryer? That way your laundry area is hidden from immediate view as you walk in and you don't have an unsightly angle.
Also can you stretch your sink counter to the wall so that it aligns with the shower? The symmetry will balance the layout better.

It seems within this space (and not losing the space you have just gained elswhere), your shower and laundry facilities are destined to be on the left side of the room as you enter and the shower and sink on the right. Given plumbing expense, I would then assume the toilet stays where it is.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 3:41AM
groveraxle
I assume the washer/dryer are stacked in front of the toilet? Where will you keep laundry detergent, where will you hang and fold your clothes?

What is that 4'8" closet at the bottom of the drawing? I would be inclined to use your second drawing where there is no jog in the left hand wall. Make that closet at the bottom wide enough to place washer/dryer side by side with a counter over the top and hanging bar above. Then on the back side of the shower, build a new narrower closet (or place a wardrobe) for your coats and boots or whatever you need when you come in from the garage.
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 3:49AM
PRO
Dytecture
I am wondering whether it is even necessary to expand into the garage given the small amount of space you are gaining in the laundry / bathroom.

My suggestion is to move the shower down towards the closet and reverse the door swing from the garage.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 8:50AM
chesternester
I prefer your second option. Having a larger area to come into from the garage is big help, especially if you create some sort of built in bench/shoe/ and coat storage system. I would agree with groveraxle and put the laundry in the closet. No matter what you do, your going to have a tight laundry and if this is the only bath on the main floor, I wouldn't want guests to be forced to looking at my laundry. With the laundry in the closet, you can be messy and just close the doors and its all gone.

Have fun!
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 8:59AM
Joanne Heidkamp
Thanks all! Just met with the contractor, and we have opened up the closet to the right of the entry door, and put the washer and dryer in there as @groveraxel and others suggested. We'll move the entry door to give more of a straight shot into the kitchen, and I have a small but functional 3/4 bathroom with space for a linen closet.
3 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 3:22PM