Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Laminate flooring with wood trim?
sarahbear74
February 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello all!
I hope I can get some designer advice as I seem to lack it. We moved into a 2 storey house two years ago. One thing I intended to change asap was the green rug (1998 era) that is in the house to a laminate flooring. Since all of our window and baseboard trim and staricase is wood, what color should I go for flooring? Darker, lighter? I know some might say I will have to change my baseboards as Im changing my flooring but I want to try and reuse the baseboards and think it will cost just that much more for trim as this trim is throughout the entire house. This house is also an open concept.

I will attach the picture so that you may have an idea of what color I am working with.

Ideas? Advice? Help!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
I would try and match, should not be too hard, but if necessary go lighter not darker.
February 13, 2013 at 10:53PM     
PRO
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
This the fun of designers. We often have different opinions. Mine, is you are very light already. I would go darker. Just enough to show you are not trying to be the same color but missed but just deep enought that it is definitely darker.

My viewpoint with my clients is to keep them out of the extremes of color when it comes to flooring, as flooring is one of the more expensive items to change. When you chose a mid-range finish, it will endure better the trends toward very dark or very light. I hear designers suggest black granite counter tops, and I am old enough to remember people tearing them out because they felt they were too dark. And, that will happen again. So head more to the middle for finishes that have to endure, that is crux the of my thinking.
February 13, 2013 at 11:30PM     
PRO
ASVInteriors
Baseboards are typically the same colour as floorboards to add extra "space" to a flooring area - we are essentially tricking the eye. As Mary Poulos states above, you cannot try to match (if it is not a perfect match) it will look as if you tried and failed. You either match exactly or go very differently.
Best of luck.
February 13, 2013 at 11:48PM     
sarahbear74
Sorry for the late response but thank you for your responses!!! Time to start shopping :)
February 28, 2013 at 9:17PM