Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Keep the ceiling off white, or paint to match wall
diyher
February 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The first is right before I started painting, I was testing the color from a test jar of Behr paint.

The 2nd is when I am almost done, but.... am trying to figure out if I should keep the cathedral ceiling off white, or same color as the 3 walls.

Window Wall :Behr - Mushroom Bisque
Other walls: Behr - Plateau

Should I keep the ceiling the off white or paint it the Plateau color?

The drapes and cellular shades are new this past couple weeks.
It's a very sunny room, Southern exposure
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
movethisnotthat
I have seen both ways, seems newer construction paints the ceiling to match the wall color.
oh... can you return the drapes and buy longer ones, they would look better hung higher (up to the ceiling ) and outside the edges of the windows, not sure the valance is needed if you are "updating" your room.
Just a thought ! Love the vaulted ceiling in your space. Nice color BTW
February 14, 2013 at 8:43AM   
diyher
the curtains are actually outside the edges of the window by 3 inches each side. The window is 19 inches deep.
The side walls are 9 feet 6 inches. The curtains there now are 84". I didn't really want to take the rod to the very top since I wanted to use the valance to cover the rods.
Also wanted to avoid the drapes touching the floor with 96"
I might do what I did in the past, and during Summer months, only use the valance, but this time we have the shades so it will help with hot sun and any window drafts
Why would valances be "out dated" if you can still buy them everywhere?
February 14, 2013 at 8:58AM   
Cornelius Vanderheide
I personally, do not like curtains hung to ceiling or laying on the floor, I'm to old to keep lifting drapes off the floor to dust, and strAIGHTEN ALL THE TIME. i ALSO LIKE THE IDEA OF REMOVING DRAPES FOR THE SUMMERY LOOK OF JUST THE VALANCE.
THOU YOU DID NOT ASK, i WOULD LIKE TO SEE BOOKCASES SET TO FIT ON EACH SIDE OF THE FIREPLACE. TO MAKE THE ROOM LOOK WIDER. i REALLY LIKE THE LAYOUT OF THE ROOM AS YOU HAVE IT BUT MAYBE MOVE THE SOFA ACROSS FROM THE FIREPLACE FOR WINTER, FOR A ROMATIC TOUCH!! MAYBE MOVE THE TV AND ENTERTAINMENT CENTER THINGS TO THAT FIREPLACE WALL MAKE THAT WALL THE FOCAL POINT OF THE ROOM AND THEN CENTER THINGS AROUND THE FIREPLACE WALL. jUST SOME OF MY IDEAS. AND ISNT THAT WHAT THIS IS ALL ABOUT?!!!!!
February 14, 2013 at 9:16AM   
PRO
February 14, 2013 at 9:19AM     
PRO
Tami Jones Interior Design
I would keep the ceiling the white color as it showcases the architectural lines of the cathedral ceiling....
February 14, 2013 at 9:21AM     
diyher
Cornelius, I too would like book cases on either side of the fireplace, but right now that would leave no room for the chair in the corner. The other reason I never put book cases on either side in the beginning, was because we have a 12 ft long wall unit that is opposite the couch and I thought it would leave no room on either side for a chair :-/
The room is 20 by 15.5. There is a part of the room towards the side that you can't see because of how i took the photo, so it's a little longer than what it appears here
February 14, 2013 at 9:23AM   
PRO
Granite Grannies
I think I agree with Tami Jones. The difference in color plays up the fun ceiling shape.
February 14, 2013 at 9:27AM   
diyher
thanks Tami and Cornelius about confirming my white ceiling. I was thinking if I kept it white, then the white ceiling fan wouldn't stand out a lot, which I don't really want it to. And... I didn't want to get up high on the ladder painting the ceiling like I did in 2000 when I was 13 years younger :)) We also have what they call high hat lights at the top arch of the wall that we turn on that hit any art on the wall. Still trying to figure out if I want to keep that painting. It's an original painting, but not by anyone famous, even locally famous. I might either buy a painting from a local artist that I am friends with, or buy a print on canvas by one of the famous local painters who have since passed on.
February 14, 2013 at 9:28AM     
diyher
Cornelius, just saw your mention of moving the couch across from the fireplace, that isn't an option either. as it will totally block the walk flow from the kitchen to the fireplace. It will also block our view of the fireplace while sitting at the kitchen table. Here is a floor plan that will help you understand what I mean :) If the room was laid out differently, I would have had the couch like you mentioned, but just won't work here :-/
February 14, 2013 at 9:35AM   
Cornelius Vanderheide
wE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AT OUR 1ST HOME BUT BOUGHT A LOVE SEAT FOR THIS ROOM ONLY AND PLACED IT AS i HAD SAID. LOVED THE ROOM BUT HATED THE RENTAL HOME!!!
February 14, 2013 at 9:37AM   
diyher
oh, forgot to mention, we do have a smaller couch on the half wall next to the kitchen, that faces the fireplace :)
February 14, 2013 at 9:38AM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
ALWAYS PAINT THE CEILING A COLOR..yes the Plateau will be fine. Fix the drapes..longer..no valance.
February 14, 2013 at 9:41AM   
diyher
thanks Barb, but can't change the drapes now since I've had them for almost a month before putting them up. Also would lose the money I spent on the double rods. In this house, painting the ceiling a color isn't always an option because of the open floor plan. It's even hard to paint some walls without it going into the next room with different colors :-/
February 14, 2013 at 10:13AM   
More Discussions
Bathroom, can I make this work??
I have these pieces, cabinet - sink - and faucet. Our...
Edgecomb gray paint
I am leaning toward Edgecomb Gray by BenMoore for my...
Beveled mirrors in lobby
I am part of a decorating committee and several of...
Is the couch too big? Rug too small? What do I need to "finish" this?
I'm wondering if the couch in this living room is too...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.