Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
To paint OR not to paint..
melly1234
February 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I've lived here for about a year now and I've been debating painting my corner cabinets ever since. Do I leave them, do I paint them white to match the trim, or do I paint them an accent color to make them really POP?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michigammemom
Not sure if cottage style is to your liking, but this is adorable.
4 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 9:39AM
0825sam
When you say match the trim, has the trim in that room been painted white or is it white in the rest of your home? I think I see a sliver of white trim in the bottom right of the photo. If the rest of your home has white trim, I would personally paint all the trim in that room white as well as the builtins. You could always paint the insides of the cabinets a color.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 9:40AM
melly1234
I have painted ALL the trim white to match the trim and cabinets in the rest of the house. So EVERYTHING is white now!
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 9:43AM
0825sam
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 9:43AM
judianna20
michi's idea is great. What I see in her posted picture, is the white inside the cabs make those corners look bigger, as if it is actually the wall. I would also like a black chandy like the picture and your woodwork painted white.

Could you replace the top doors with glass?

I am not sure what is next to the right cab, but I think that should be painted white, also.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 9:45AM
decoenthusiaste
Paint the walls a color to POP and paint all the trim and china cabinets white or cream. Even an all white room might look nice. Try a new chandy hung 36" or less above a round table that will counter balance all the rectangles and squares in the room. Might try one with a glass top to a add spacious feel to this small room.
Family Room
Lafayette Residence Two
Nelson Res.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 9:46AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Because the room is very small, I would paint them & the trim white. Also, do not paint the walls a really dark color..keep it light. Also add a patterned rug for interest. Replace the light fixture and hang lower. Window treatments..a faux Roman shade, medium sizel pattern or geometric hung up at the ceiling.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 9:48AM
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
I would definately paint them along with the chair rail and shoe moulding. Either a color of white, both look great. I would also replace the fan with an actual chandelier.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 9:48AM
PRO
Granite Grannies
I like the wood, but I can see how would be a very limiting design look. If you paint them, I would vote for white (or another "goes with everything color" like black) since you probably won't want to have to do over again if you decide to change the colors in the room.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 9:48AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I love wood so would normally say leave it. In this case make it blend into the walls. The room looks to small the way it is now.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 9:53AM
collettec
I might paint the walls a light cream color to see how they work with the cabinets. If it doesn't look good, I think I'd paint the walls and the cabinets all a color other than white if you're keeping the table and chairs.Don't think the white walls go with either the table and chairs or the built ins.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 9:54AM
melly1234
Thank you! Thank you!! This is SO helpful!
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 9:58AM
thethistle
I hate to say this, but they need to be painted. I'm usually against painting wood, but this isn't antique woodwork. They make the room look even smaller than it is. If you feel like the white on white is too blah, consider painting the inside of the cabinets an accent colour, possibly red-orange like the ceramics you have on your shelves and the cabinet in the second picture attached here.
Cape Cod Traditional Dining Room
Philadelphia Georgian
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 9:59AM
PRO
InterDesign Studio
Given the scale of the room, I would opt to paint it all white. You could change the sheen level on the cabinetry a bit, but keep monochromatic. You did not mention the windows, but I would suggest a type of woven wood Roman Shades, taking them full height to ceiling and then lowering them just to the underside of your top window trim. Keep your horizontal blinds, but the top layer of Roman Shade will add texture to the room, as well as visually heightening the room. Once again, I'd keep the Roman Shade in the same monochromatic color family as your walls, cabinets and trim. Photo attached from theshadestore.com
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 10:04AM
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
Given the size of this space...I would paint all the woodwork in the room... including the cabinetry the same color as a chosen color for the wall and the same for the ceiling...in the white or off white color family, including light grey. You would of course use a different paint formula for the dry wall versus the wood. I would then select an accent color to paint the inside of the cabinets... these are not great examples... but you get the idea.

I would add soft Roman or London shades to the windows and a new chandelier...
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 10:10AM
libradesigneye
I vote to paint them out white, along with all the other trim, and vote for a new wall color which I would use as an accent color on the back of the cabinets with the glass doors. I see that the adjacent open shelves that are wood are a bit more modern in design, so when you paint your cabinets I would also recommend updating the cabinet hardware - they will harmonize better.

I'll suggest you paint the walls in a mid-tone neutral that works with your living spaces color story. Green is beautiful with wood tones like your floors, and along with black, is a neutral that supports most color combinations. Depending on what you have in an adjacent room colorwise, I would look for a beautiful print fabric that combines black, green and your other accent tones to tie all the spaces together, and then draw a green tone for the walls from that fabric. Then your room will benefit from adding softness and warmth like roman shades hung near to ceiling in that great print, a classic black iron candlestick chandelier on a dimmer, and so forth.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 10:26AM
Maggie Kirkaldy
I'd suggest painting the wood trim and the cabinets in a soft creamy white, and do the walls in a different neutral color. That could be in a cool (grey) tone, or warm (taupe-y?). But something soft, yet more of a color to pop the white wood, without making it harsh, and without making the room feel smaller. Then, I'd lower the chandelier so that it does its job of lighting the table. You could then select an accent color to add interest-maybe in the chair cushions, centerpiece. If you can afford the space, be selective in what you showcase in the corner cabinets. I love corner cabinets. Have fun! Make the space a joy to be in! One last thing- consider painting the inside walls of the corner cabinets and back of shelf unit in your accent color.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 10:34AM
grantb63
Be bold. Paint it!
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 10:41AM
More Discussions
Exterior
What kind of material other than stone can I use to...
Suggestions for Rug
I am wanting a large area rug for our master bedroom....
Renovation Ideas
Not sure on how to renovate master bathroom and ideas?...
Flooring ideas for a garage office
Hi, I am looking for some inexpensive flooring options...
Do these 3 rugs go together?
Hi houzzers, thinking of doing medallion rug in entry,...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.