Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Lighting for dark staircase
minahrock
February 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi all,

We live in a 1600 SF 1940's colonial. We have many family photos we would like to hang on both sides of the staircase from the first floor to the 2nd however it is remarkably dark. Ceilings are 8'. There is lighting in hallway upstairs however not directly above staircase and there is no lighting at bottom of stairs. We have been thinking of installing some (approx 4-5) recessed lighting in the ceiling of the staircase, a few inches off each wall. They would be angled to the opposite wall to illuminate the photos.
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
Annemarie
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
Given that your stairs are not all that wide... I think you could center any recessed lighting over the stairs and get a nice angle on the lighting... I would recommend halogen
February 14, 2013 at 11:11am     
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
I agree with Terri to use recessed and angling the lights to the art/photos would be nice.
February 14, 2013 at 11:26am   
minahrock
Thank you for the quick responses. We thought centering them would give a 'runway' (as in airplane) look to it, however in looking at the photo you posted I can see how it would work. Is this a specific kind of recessed light? Could this be used in a sloped ceiling?
February 14, 2013 at 11:32am   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
That would look great and solve your problem.
February 14, 2013 at 11:35am   
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
You need to ask those questions of your electrician as the space and the accessibility to the space will determine that. If it is not possible to access the space for wiring, you might consider a track lighting fixture that could be run off of an existing box
February 14, 2013 at 11:36am   
lefty47
HI -- In this case surface mount track lighting may work better for you and it would be a little easier and cheaper to put in . It could extend from any ceiling light fixture that is there . The track rod is bought by the foot and then you get how ever many or kinds of spot lights you need . This could also just go down the middle . Check a better lighting store and see if you can get LED , this is a better cooler light and will last a lot longer . .
February 14, 2013 at 11:49am   
minahrock
This is very helpful, thanks for everyone's input!
February 17, 2013 at 5:04am   
More Discussions
Does the master closet have to be accessed through the master bath?
We are remodeling our master bath and closet. However,...
Really struggling with this small dining room!
I am starting a new thread with updated pictures for...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
Unplug for the day
Would you ever be able to go throughout your entire...
range hood
Do I need the have a hood over my oven
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.