Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Living / Dining - something missing
Det Detta
February 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have just moved into our new house, and it's still does not feel home... i guess until we settle down. For example the living /dining... it seems something is missing from this room.
The curtains are of the previous owner, so those will be replaced as soon as we decide the colour scheme. The fireplace is painted grey, and we love that colour. the room has so much natural light, as it is south facing.
any suggestions.. what is missing? or maybe change of furniture positions..
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
It is very hard to see from the photos (so dark) but I would pull the sofa and love seat closer together, they seem too far apart. Also, the chandelier above your dining table is hung too high.
February 14, 2013 at 11:29am   
Det Detta
True there is not enough light as I took the photos now, not in the morning... thanks for your comment. Already moved the love seat closer :)...
February 14, 2013 at 11:39am   
PRO
ASVInteriors
Can you try zoning the rooms by moving the sideboard behind the sofa. I just feel that too much of the furniture is pushed against walls. You need a much bigger rug under the dining table (if you intend to have one). You need artwork for sure. And given those acid green cushions why not continue with curtains in the same colour to add the zing. If you did that, I would remove your flower arrangement and replace it with something more contemporary like a zinc planter with grass or green upright plants.
February 14, 2013 at 11:48am   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Rugs should define a space..they are too small. Find rugs with more color and pattern. Drapery..skip the valances, hang them high, and make sure they just touch the floor, and are a lighter color. Paint the walls and the spaces on the ceiling between the beams. Remove the green pillows from the sofas and add a mix of different patterns, colors in there place.
February 14, 2013 at 11:55am   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
The rug might not be to small. It is hard to tell if you have enough there to pull it under the sofa or not.
February 14, 2013 at 11:58am   
Det Detta
Thank you all for your comments... will upload clear photos tomorrow, but took all notes on board ...
February 14, 2013 at 12:24pm   
Det Detta
Update with photos
February 17, 2013 at 8:55am   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
What a difference some light makes. The thing missing most is wall/ceiling color. But paint color should always be last. The dark gray on the fireplace and door seem too gray for the warm browns in the room. Move the sofa so the feet are on the rug. The coffee table sitting in the middle of the space looks lonely. It serves no purpose there. Rule #1, every seat should have a place to set a drink. You have none. So, move the coffee table closer to the sofa, and remove the clutter from it, find one large interesting colorful bowl to set on it. Find small side tables for the other seat. The bright green still needs to go (it's the size & shapes), maybe keep one, but add pillows with pattern and other colors. Rug under the dining table is too small. When you pull the chairs back, they should not fall off the rug...table cloth left on table is not a good look. Walls..I would put a stone, or large travertine tiles on the portion where the wall is painted gray around the fireplace. Your floors & rugs are warm tones, so find a wall color that would work with them such as Sherwin Williams SW 6057 - "Malted Milk". Paint all walls and the ceiling between the beams this same color. I would paint all trim white, baseboards, doors, beams, all trim. It will be cohesive and pop. Drapery, simple rods and drapery hung high as possible but so they are still all even at the top and off the windows. As you do not have much pattern in your room, consider a trellis pattern..maybe beige & chocolate or if you like the bright green (I do) do drapes in such. Hang a very large round mirror over the fireplace and large colorful art on the walls. Maybe a chandelier over the table. The three little mirrors over the wall unit center I would replace them with a tall (taller than the side units) large colorful piece of art. Remove all small clutter and place just a few larger pieces. Remove the items on top of the ends of the wall unit as well.
February 17, 2013 at 9:24am