Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for ideas for niche above fireplace in family room
aroush
February 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have chocolate brown sectional with round turquoise rug in front of it.
Tv will be mounted on wall at left of niche.
High ceiling, open.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Paint it an accent color like Bittersweet Orange that will work with your turquoise. I'd suggest a larger square area rug, drapes and pillows when you can get to that project.
3 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 12:21PM
aroush
I bought green and orange pillows for the sofa, can't change rug now. Thanks for the suggestion though
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 12:23PM
aroush
Can I add some wall hanging or art work after painting the niche?
What size and shape is appropriate?
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 1:05PM
Laura
That niche looks awfully high. I'd fill it in and just hang something over the fireplace at an appropriate height. Builders put niches in to add value, but they aren't always a good design element.
4 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 1:09PM
PRO
DirectBuy of Fort Worth
Oh I would add mosaic glass in that niche..You can do a custom color blend at a great price through Arizona TIle or any of the pre made ones. It would color and depth to that area and easy to install. Here is one from Daltile called Rio
7 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 1:39PM
lefty47
HI -- I would not put anything in the niche because it is a traditional style and your not . You have modern taste by the looks of your great sofa etc. I would just hang a big modern banner or a big modern painting on canvas over to cover that feature . I don't think highlighting it is going to be right for you. Pick up more of the color from the rug , it looks great with the sofa.
12 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 4:47PM
bojaby
We have a similar niche. We painted it an accent color and hung large metal wall art in it. You can find metal art with a rounded top, vining pattern, etc. Just be sure it is large enough and substantial enough to stand out from a distance.
3 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 5:10PM
PRO
Julia Wakely Interiors
I agree with lefty47. Cover it up with a large mirror or art, don't accentuate it.
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 5:17PM
PRO
paintmasters
A custom made family crest, or coat of arms would be nice. You could match the shape of the nitch.
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 5:27PM
PRO
Trouble Free Electric
Whatever you hang up there, you should consider backlighting it with dimmable LED low voltage lighting.
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 5:44PM
jamimi0
Fill it with a mirror to shape.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 6:16PM
nbendo
I have a very similar niche above the fireplace in my family room, and I hung a beautiful Eastlake style mirror in the same shape as the niche with just a few inches of wall space left around it. It's perfect; it almost mimics another window, and reflects light and different views, depending on where you are when you look at it.
3 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 8:38PM
TanCalGal
aroush: many ideas for niche above fireplace are here: http://www.houzz.com/photos/living/niche-above-fireplace-
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 8:41PM
Vicki Wheeler Taylor
I totally agree with some from above... cover it up! Large canvas or mirror. It takes away from other great things you have going on in that room. Instead of trying to make it work when it really doesn't, cover it!
Or, just fill it in as someone mentioned.
2 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 6:22AM
PRO
Miller's Paint & Wallpaper
To me since the TV is going to be to the left of the niche you don't want to add anything that is going to be dramatic in there. Covering it could work but depends on the size of the TV you would be putting up there for that plays into the whole picture. I can tell you that you really could use color in that room. You said that you got new pillows, green and orange...that's great! I think with your light walls that I wouldn't use those colors in the niche for they would stand out too much. I would consider a faux wallpaper that is soft and just blends in there. Do it more tone on tone to match the tile in the fireplace. The reason for that is you don't want it fighting with your TV and your light walls. I also would consider down the line getting a new rug with many colors. The room needs color and a connection weather it is artwork, rug, window treatments etc. Below are some tone on tone wallpapers that could work.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 8:28AM
Sharon de Vries
why dont you mount a piece of fabric in there like art that goes with your couch rug or throw pillows and you could even have it framed with the out lline of the alcove what you think....
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 9:27AM
Shellie Orr
I've painted a lot of niches . Ralph Lauren has suede paint or the river rock and you can tape about a 2 inch border around the outside and the texture of the paint give it a pow ! You can also faux paint it to look like marble then add a piece of metal art work. You can go online and learn different techniques of painting. Or a simple glaze in a darker shade would age the niche and also create a Tuscan look.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 11:54AM
cwalbrun19
I agree a mosaic would be neat, but I would break plates or something to use as less symetrical tiles. Another really easy thing would be chalkboard paint. You could write cute things for each season there.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 12:46PM
dakgirl77
This is what I did to a couple of my niches; I know I'm more traditional but something like this could work. The second one is stacked tumbled travertine.
9 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 12:57PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I'd get rid of that niche which is at a height that makes it difficult to place anything of a proper size below it and which is also too high, in my estimation, to hang anything on top of it. Get the drywall people to fill it in.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 1:22PM
marcmarg
The arch of the niche seems traditional, but you have a lot of curves in this room,so I'd not cover it up. Paint a nice accent color; the bittersweet made sense to me...a good size modern object d'art with more curves, maybe?
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 5:35PM
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Fill it up. Not a focal point. Its too high. I agree with others. But it will be a focal point if you paint it-I'd rather have the focus on furnishings, great paint jobs, window treatment, etc.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 5:47PM
PRO
Misty Doherty
Keep it simple.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 6:35PM
PRO
Wyatt Studio
Maybe a piece of art like this bear head is what you need?
8 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 10:33PM
marshaleigh
Mosaic design - add mirror tiles in the mosaic
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 3:58AM
lauriebtown
I recommend a beautiful tile such as Anne sacks in one of the artsy designs in a sunburst of colors. It will cost a bit but would be a good use. I wouldn't put anything in it.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 4:14AM
PRO
Happy Home Stager LLC
Forgo anything which may be permanent. What about trompe l'oeil? Find a GOOD mural artist & have them paint a beautiful iron scroll design. They can creat a design to fit the space perfectly. You won't have to worry about any maintenance or removing it to sell the home. Need to change it? Simple paint will do the trick.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 5:35AM
PRO
Ragan Corliss
I posted before and after photos of a similar situation in this blog post: http://devinedecoratingresults.com/2010/07/08/tips-and-tricks-for-decorating-with-tall-and-low-ceilings/
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 6:46AM
Denice Shuty
The tuscan/scroll/mural/words ideas are very "year 2000", don't do those unless you are really wedded to those design trends/fads.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 7:04AM
conniedial
you could paint the inside "frame" of it...the 4 inch(?) indentation a color that marries the other colors you have chosen..then leave the inset the color it is OR paint it or TEXTURE it with a venetian plaster /color look. ..sort of a patina? Maybe do the entire wall there?? It would accent your room beautifully.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:10AM
PRO
Milne Well Dressed Homes
I agree with left47, just cover up that niche! When you repaint, you can have it drywalled. In the meantime, I would definitely add large artwork to complement your gorgeous turquoise rug!! Where did you get it, I would love one for myself and the size and shape of it is perfect for your sofa.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:11AM
PRO
Milne Well Dressed Homes
I just have to add one more thing. In the design world, NICHES are now dated! I can't tell you how many designers I know that are battling the builders on this issue. To think, people are paying a lot of money for these when it's so unneccessary. These niches are hard to work with, I should know because I have 3 of my own! They are not an architectural feature and they make it difficult trying to find the "right" piece to fit in there. You do not want to call attention to that niche at all. Your furnishings are beautiful and you obviously have great taste. Bring in those green and orange cushions and also don't forget to repeat the turquoise.
3 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:19AM
PRO
custom-tiles.com
If you have a photo or artwork of particular interest to you, you can have it reproduced on tile. Both examples here are from clients' vacation photos reproduced on tumbled tile, although they could as well have been printed on ceramic or glass tile. One is from Lake Como, Italy and the other from a Japanese garden.
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:22AM
lorirobinson
I'm with Laura, that niche is a weird height and you should cover it with a beautiful piece of large art work. Check with local shops and artists, you will probably find something you love and a really great piece is worth the splurge! It will inject lots of personality into the room. I always prefer when the TV isn't the focal point in the room. A big canvass that covers the niche will eliminate that, and bring the focus back to the fireplace!
3 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:27AM
PRO
Maria Killam
I agree with Carolyn, it's too high to work with and is anything but classic. http://www.mariakillam.com/2013/01/classichouse.html/ Drywall is the only solution here. Maria
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 7:31AM
quatorze
A cheap fix: try a shallow, arching natural branch, dark bark or stripped bare. It would be a natural element, that would be a minimalist nod to your modern aesthetic and wouldn't cost anything, or barely so if you buy a branch. It would take the design focus off the TV and draw the eye up into the space without screaming "look at me!" One or two finishing nails would easily hold the brach in place, just be sure it is shallower than the depth of the niche and roughly fills the niche's space from top to bottom. Good luck.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:35AM
Rita Henry
Perhaps you should drywall it and not make it a focal point.
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:49AM
noankwaters
Have to agree with Rita and drywall it and others who say cover with art.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 8:06AM
Keri McCauley
I would either "go big or go home." By that I mean, I'd either paint it a contrasting color and add a HUGE wrought iron sculpture. I liked the idea of the bear but not the actual bear. Go for something abstract but definitely 3D and BOLD. If that doesn't fit your style I would wall up or cover that sucker in a heartbeat. It depends on whether you want to draw attention to your remarkably high ceilings or keep the focus on your furnishings. Personally I'd go with the bold statement but that's just me and it's definitely not for everyone. If you do something though, it can't be half way or it'll look very odd.
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:29AM
Jill Coert
I love, love, love your couch and rug combo! I agree, niches are dated. Just cover it up or get rid of it, or at the very least leave it alone and don't draw attention to it.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 9:06AM
alohavo
I would consider filling it in with drywall and bring the focus back on the fieplace. Please reconsider replacing the rug or removing it all together in place of an ottoman or round glass coffee table.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 9:41AM
PRO
Milne Well Dressed Homes
Drywall the niche and keep the rug. It rocks!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 9:42AM
conniedial
If you plan on placing artwork of some kind on that tall fireplace wall..then don't go to the extra expense of drywalling it in and all...why not just decide on a kickbutt piece of artwork (does not have to be a painting ?) that is large enough to completely cover the "niche"?
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 10:30AM
jagarrou
I see I'm not the first person to immediately think "Hire an artist to paint a trompe-l'oeil in the alcove." However I would have them paint a view of your imaginings of the inside of the fireplace, perhaps with a squirrel's nest or a few bats hovering within a trompe-l'oeil niche inside the fireplace for humor. Or cover it up. I agree with the others; the niche thing is outdated and screams "real housewives of New Jersey-aspirational" to me.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 11:18AM
dlapollo
put a huge painting over it.
or re-sheet rock flush, and then put a huge picture over it...
it is out dated...80's
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 11:24AM
PRO
Architectural Elements
I would do a custom art panel fresco laser cut from steel, pinned off the wall and back lit from the bottom. The art would be designed to suit your specific tastes. Of course I am biased to my own work.
See one application of our art panels pictured here...
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 11:31AM
PRO
Egoist Design
I would suggest painting the whole space and have the niche painted an accent color. This would be the least complex solution. However, I would suggest drapery, accent pillows in the the same shade or with similar pattern. Then pick a matching wallpaper for the niche. You can also hang art work there (with or without wallpaper) or maybe even a decent size wall scone if you can get an electrical outlet there. If not, then some sort of wall accessory that has dimension and texture to add some interest to the space.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 11:32AM
PRO
studio | FORMA
I love the idea that "dakgirl77" had with the stacked tumbled travertine. It ads texture without imposing on anything else as though the house is coming out of it. Limestone is another stone you could use. Check out the Herringbone pattern behind the stove on the picture below.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 11:45AM
aroush
Oh my! So many ideas..
I will go through each and every comment and then will decide what to do! The rug will definitely stay and I will add pic of sofa with accent pillows very soon. Thanks to all who took out time and provide and came up with their valuable suggestions!
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 1:52PM
nitaking
I would have a glass/mirror company make you antiqued mirrored tiles to fit the nitch. At each intersection of the tiles, i would add a small metal element. Since the tiles are antiqued, it doesn't really matter what they reflect because you won't really be able to see anything. I like the idea of a little glam because you have modern furnishings for a rather traditional element. I would also consider painting your walls a warmer shade of tan.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 1:59PM
aroush
@Milne well dressed homes: thanks for the input. Glad you liked the rug. I ordered it at one of the rug store in Houston. They had to cut the large rectangular rug in a round shape.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 2:03PM
aroush
Some more views of the room.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 2:11PM
aroush
And more
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 2:14PM
calidesign
Have a mirror cut to fit exactly. It will give some life to the room without drawing attention to it. Then you will be free to add whatever you would like to your mantle, which will draw your eye to the fireplace, where you want it. And if you want to change your mantle seasonally, you won't be competing with something too busy.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 4:06PM
skylands
I absolutely LOVE the color of the turquoise rug with the dark brown of your sectional. I would cut a sheet of plywood (not too thick, just sturdy enough to handle tiling it.) the dimensions and shape to fill the space. I would then go tile shopping with your rug and a paint chip(s) to match the beige of your carpet and the brown of your sofa. Sketch a design that you like, making the turquoise the accent color as you did with your rug. After your piece is grouted and finished, put it up with screws through grouts areas (so they can be retouched and made invisible), preferably through studs. (Use a couple of wall achors if you can't find studs) Now enjoy the custom piece you have designed and made. When you are ready to change your room a long time in the future, unscrew the screws and take down the piece and design something again if it doesn't "go" with the new room design. By the way, I would not worry about detracting from the tv. The tv should not be the focal point anyway and is pretty boring t look at when off!
2 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 6:09PM
nicki2259
I would most definitely NOT cover up the niche. Unless the TV to the left is going up be huge, there is no reason to think that it will clash as some others suggested. The fact it you have a huge volume of space there and it will hold up to some strong accents. I would treat the nich as a canvas. Don't hang art over it....Make it art. There have been several good suggestions, metal art, mosaic tile(my favorite), wallpaper...it doesn't have to be super expensive either...make it a statement about you and your life ! Most of all, have fun with it and don't take it too seriously !
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 8:40AM
Denice Shuty
The uber modern circular turquoise rug over top standard wall to wall carpeting in a house with psuedo "old world" niches doesn't work.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 9:40AM
PRO
Ann Alderson
The niche looks too high to cover with art or fill in with a mirror, and I would for sure stay away from the tuscan/mural/words suggestions. If you are planning to keep your white walls, go white-on-white with a statement piece like the large antlered moose head from Z Gallerie. Now that's a wow factor! (Sorry, couldn't get the image to attach but it's easy to find at zgallerie.com AND it's on sale now.)
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 9:46AM
PRO
studio | FORMA
I found the pictures of the moose head from z gallerie. Its a good option however I don't think they are big enough. The picture below (top right) shows them grouped together but for this application you would need just one big one. A grouping of them I think would be too distracting. I do like the idea that they are white or metal instead of using a real one. With your modern coffee table a metal one would look good.
3 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 10:54AM
PRO
TJP Designs and Construction LLC
It was probably mentioned prior, but trimming the perimeter would add a finishing touch!
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 1:05PM
jrbell
Find some unpainted flying geese, paint them an electric color and have them spilling out of the niche on to the wall in an upward flight. You can paint the inside of the niche to look like the sky. Art in flight!
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 1:15PM
Mark
I'm sorry to interrupt, as I bring no actual help, but I think we should all take a moment to appreciate Trouble Free Electric's comedic relief further up. I couldn't help but laugh when I got to it. Way to promote their products. No offense intended, I just think it was funny (and I like the idea too even, should you decide to put a painting inside the niche).

Anyway, I'm not traditional either, so the suggestion that it be covered with a large painting speaks more to me than accentuating it.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 3:30PM
sandra1942
Finding anything with the same degree curve at top, along with right amount of space between sides and bottom is incredibly difficult. If you find it, paint niche a different color. Otherwise, it's a big space, a large piece of artwork to cover it would be best, but definitely paint the whole thing an accent color.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 3:37PM
dakgirl77
I wish I would have gotten as many suggestions for my design dilemma as you have! Great ideas everyone!
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 3:58PM
PRO
Clare Michael Interiors
take the arch of it and fill in sheetrock to form a rectangle then follow some of these great ideas. some times builders toss in dieas tht nothing to do with the stated architecture.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 4:04PM
summy9
I would paint it the color of the rug, even in a lesser shade if you want? Then put art there with a bright pop of color. I have no business sharing an opinion as I am in no way a decorator. I can just see it looking good. Also adding some little pops around the room from the color(s) in the art.
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 6:56PM
someonehere
If you could add a wooden frame in it, it would look fine.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 6:07PM
aroush
Thanks each and everyone for their ideas :)
Will soon get back to show all of you new look of our family room..
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 8:11AM
aroush
Please also visit my new post .. I need suggestions.. Will have to finalize in a day..

Here is the link http://www.houzz.com/discussions/362894
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:07AM
Amy Stanley
What about painting just that entire wall around fireplace(including niche) turquoise to tie in your rug and pop your mantel- the niche is really high to do to much with, you could get an expresso piece to go under the tv to hold components and such on that wall to left of fireplace and use a bronze piece in the niche itself and tie it together with matching candle sticks on mantle..
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:24AM
dreaw80
Not sure how deep this niche is but you could add a decorative tile inside with either a pot light or a picture light highlighting either a sculpture or floral arrangement or ad a large unique sconce or candle sconce.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:37AM
dreaw80
There are so many beautiful tiles out there right now too, this is the perfect opportunity to choose that gorgeous tile that you would never be able to afford to to your whole shower in!
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:39AM