Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
HELP! Need ideas for Chairs.
lizareno
February 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have had this table for almost a year with no clue as to what chairs. They must only be 20"W in order to fit two within each section, thus making 8 total chairs and then two larger chairs on each end. I tried the Vapor chair from Crate and Barrel but the chrome legs didn't work with the tables shiny black metal. I like the look of the Tolix chair but wonder if they would be too uncomfortable. I also like the look of the Wyatt Chair from Pottery Barn. Please, any advice would be appreciated. Thank you
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
0825sam
I actually like all three of those chairs and the chrome would not bother me with the black.
Here's another option - I don't think these legs are chrome. http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1860433&categoryId=cat1830085
We have the Restoration Hardware Magnus chairs paired with a rustic table with black hardware.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 12:06PM
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
I like sam's chair idea. You could also add two different captains chairs...something like the ones below.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 12:12PM
0825sam
Love that wingback chair. That is actually what I want for the heads of my table.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 12:15PM
Jayme H.
Have u considered a bench or two? I like these chairs...they are different.
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 12:20PM
PRO
cyndyjaynes
how about the wegner wishbone chair?
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 12:24PM
lizareno
I like those Magnus chairs. Are they comfortable? Could you post an image of your set up sam0705?
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 12:25PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I agree with Jayme that a bench may be your best bet. One can encroach on the 20" limit with a bench. Also like the chairs Jayme shows if they fit.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 12:25PM
lizareno
yes, the wegner's arms would not slide under the table. I love that chair.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 12:27PM
Laura
Wegner Wishbone chairs are gorgeous and so comfortable. I grew up with them. However, they are more than 20" wide. Bummer.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 12:28PM
lizareno
Jayme, where did those chairs come from? They are pretty cool and maybe look a bit more comfortable than a typical Tolix.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 12:30PM
Jayme H.
Both r from Overstock.com Look at kitchen...then dining chairs...good prices too. I love your table & home!
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 12:32PM
lizareno
Thank you!
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 12:33PM
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 12:34PM
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
I would go with upholstered wing chairs on the ends and benches on the sides. the benches could be slip covered
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 12:35PM
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
You should also paint your walls a brown based creamy white...it's more complimentary to the wood. Check out some Darryl Carter rooms in how to use white. White isn't a cold color-only when used incorrectly. Its a very sophisticated color and works well with rustic. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/darryl-carter-colors-white
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 12:37PM
Laura
I think benches would be uncomfortable, the legs of the table wouldn't allow them to be close enough.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 12:37PM
0825sam
Hi - Yes the magnus chairs are very comfortable. BUT I have the white painted ones and sadly the paint cracks. I actually have 6 new ones in boxes that they sent me to replace them. I have accepted that the Magnus chairs will continue to crack but I am ok with it because (1) I got them for $39 each on clearance and (2) my toddlers will beat up anything I put there so I will wait and get something better quality at some other time.

West Elm and Crate and Barrel make similar chairs - maybe the cracking paint is not an issue with those.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 12:49PM
0825sam
Here's the look with the much more expensive authentic Series 7 chair

0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 12:52PM
libradesigneye
sam, i like the natural patina overstock chairs jayme found above - great buy for style - they complement the high-low you are aiming for and will be indestructible for years (necessary if you are at toddler stage!). . . you have a beautiful space and have layered in carefully
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 1:06PM
PRO
Terri Bennett Allied ASID/Periwinkle Interiors LLC
The picture is terrible, but the West Elm curved leather chairs on the ends are great! They measure just under 22 inches.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 1:46PM
kjansma
I just got the Restoration Hardware Magnus counter stools. I couldn't afford the original Series 7 stools, plus they are an inch lower than the reproductions. I completely regret buying the Magnus stools at any price. They shipped to me with splits in the paint, drips, thin spots, nicks in the wood (that were painted over, so not from shipping). I can't believe they wouldn't list them as factory seconds, no matter how low the price. I have kids, so I didn't want anything too precious, but these are shockingly bad from even the most basic quality control level.
1 Like   June 24, 2013 at 3:29PM