Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What light fixture here?
Kari Palomo
February 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm in the process of redoing my great room area and know I need to replace this light fixture. I was leaning toward a pendant, possibly in a natural fabric, but I'm not sure that is the best choice. Also what size should I aim for? And how do I get the fixture centered over the table? Do I have to move it in the ceiling or is it acceptable to attach it to some sort of hook? I'm
Not sure of my style but I'm thinking its a mesh of modern, glam, and traditional.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
The general rule for hanging dining room chandeliers is that the bottom of the fixture should hang between 30" and 36" from the tabletop assuming you have an 8' ceiling.

Some designers recommend that for each additional foot of ceiling height you should add about 3" to the suspension height. It's important to note however that not everyone agrees with this. Some designers feel that the ceiling height shouldn't affect the distance of the fixture from the tabletop. If this is the case in your home the best thing to do is hold the fixture over the table and move it up and down until it feels right.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 12:24PM
0825sam
I am not a huge fan of swagging a light. I see there is an island there but can you move the table a bit to center it under the light?
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 12:30PM
Laura
Just have an electrician come move the box. It's not that expensive, and looks so much better than a swag. And I agree, the bottom of the fixture needs to be closer to the table. Rule of thumb used to be about 66" from the floor, but with so meant counter height tables (which it appears you have), that has changed to distance up from the actual table. Here is a link that explains how to correctly size a fixture, and how to hang it. http://www.hinkleylighting.com/be-inspired/lighting-tips/chandelier-sizing.aspx
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 12:35PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
What window treatment do you plan for the big window?
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 12:36PM
Kari Palomo
Thanks for the advice on the height. We moved it up when our youngest liked to swing from it! He's almost out of the stage so it would be safe to move it back down. We can move the table over a little but it still won't be centered so we'll have to plan on moving the box later.

As far as the window treatment goes, I have no idea. I have these white wood blinds and they're very functional. We live with neighbors close by and as soon as it gets dark out, I close them for privacy. Plus this is a very messy area as my kids eat next to that window. People have suggested valances, but they look so dated to me. And with the height on that wall I have no idea what other options I have.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 12:48PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I think you should not treat the glass door and the window differently. At the very least they need to be related. I see you cannot hang the same panels on the window because of the pot rack, can you move it? I guess you could buy more side panel(s) and make a faux roman shade that would be hung at the same height as the drapery rod for the door and then hang down just past the top frame.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 1:05PM
Kari Palomo
I have no where else to move the rack. What is a faux roman shade? Any suggestions on a new fixture?
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 1:27PM
Kari Palomo
@Liza Jane - the bottom of the current light fixture is exactly 36" from the top of the table and it is hanging from a ceiling height of 8' 8".
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 1:30PM
Kari Palomo
I was thinking something like this maybe?
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 1:35PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Yes I would look for a drum shade fixture, but I would suggest one that has a little taller shade.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 1:41PM
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 2:09PM
decoenthusiaste
If your doing a total makeover, please get a correctly sized rug. 4' wider and longer than the table is the absolute minimum.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 3:43PM
Kari Palomo
Then we're good on the rug as we have 6" on each of the shorter ends and 18" on the longer.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 5:59PM
Kari Palomo
Oh four FEET?! Yeah that would put the rug outside of the house so it's not gonna happen.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 6:01PM
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 6:03PM
PRO
MJCroninDesignsLLC
Hey I would do something more distinctive and eye catching!
Try www.circalighting.com. Maybe a large cone shaped pendant in a metal or neutral fabric right over the table. it would look fabulous. Good
Jack JcroninDesigns
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 6:11PM
Lkristine
If you have an electrician come and move the box, make sure you have the exact paint for the ceiling for where the hole will have to be patched and painted. Here is another lighting idea that might work. (modern, glam, and traditional all rolled into one!) http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Fabric-Shade-3-light-Crystal-Chandelier/3672050/product.html
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 6:24PM
hollyskog
I found a drum shade large enough to fit over my original light. I'm not sure it would work with yours but see what you think
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 6:37PM
hollyskog
Might work without shades ?????
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 6:39PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I think you need a more tailored look for your area than the one shown just above here. The drum shade should also not be tapered as the Ikea one, but just a little taller than the one you showed earlier in this conversation. At least 10" tall.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 8:19AM
alwaysdesigning
A few things more to consider is whether you want to look up into the bulbs, or not. Shape: square or round? Lights shine down or up? A dome shaped fixture with the light reflecting up into the ceiling (do you have a nice enough ceiling you want illuminated?) gives a soft glow on the table top with no jarring reflections. We also put ours on a dimmer which is exceptionally nice. If the focus is light on the table and not in the surrounding space, I like the black shades with crystals for elegance. Lanterns are the new "in" dining light but to me they look very clunky and harsh.

However, I would sit down and plan out the ENTIRE space if needed, i.e., new window/door coverings, rug, etc., because these decisions will influence your direction on the fixture. Let that be the last decision, or at least a concurrent decision with the other room features. Go to Overstock.com and browse through fixtures and accessories with excellent prices. Good luck
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Metal-Leaf-Hanging-Light/3488813/product.html http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Indoor-3-light-Black-Chrome-Pendant-Chandelier/5184459/product.html http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/White-20-inch-Chandelier-with-Curved-Accents/4070938/product.html
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Labyrinth-3-Henna-Bronze-with-Khaki-Fabric-Shades-Light-Pendant/6960442/product.html http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Indoor-3-light-Black-Pendant-Chandelier/5142978/product.html
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 9:03AM
Kari Palomo
I like the second option a lot. Thanks! It might look really nice if I paint all of my white I recruit doors black, but I'm not sure if I want to put that much effort into it. I think I'll wait until I get all the new furniture in the great room to decide for sure then.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 10:33AM
More Discussions
Cabinet pulls and handles
We need to get pulls and handles ASAP sip that we can...
debari
Too many Cabinet Brands/Manufacturers
Help too many choices on Cabinets Manufacturers, how...
jjjoy58
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
rredpenn
Privacy trees ... Need advice
My hubby and I live in Hardiness Zone 5a. Our lot...
chelseabeagle
What to do with off center fireplace, tv and furniture placement.
My 1954 ranchelo living room is 15 x 13 and I don't...
zeeveezee
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.