Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Decorating foyer
jemilyn
February 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need ideas on how to decorate entryway, including ledge above door.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
soberg
Sigh, I wish builders would not create these highly visible yet hard-to-use and hard-to-decorate areas. This window should have been designed and built with architecture that can stand alone. If there's any way that you can add e.g. pilasters from the ground up along the window, as part of a complete window makeover, I would suggest that. Otherwise, I'd suggest fake plants with large, bold leaves (you must take a vow to dust or vacuum weekly) or just leaving the area bare.
February 14, 2013 at 12:45pm   
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
You could just trim it out with moulding and call it a day. Check out attached photo.
February 14, 2013 at 12:49pm     
lefty47
HI -- I also hate these silly ledges . Just ignore it and not put anything on it . To create some interest just apply some moulding and make one or two picture frame style panels under the window and then have them the same color as the wall .Or you could add a center plaster medallion with side frames , then tese could be the house trim color .They would be just for textured interest . Don't paint them seperate colors that would not look good. If you added some decorative framing and a fancy header around the front door then the door would be the interest and not the ledge. Paint the door and sidelights and the divider pieces a color so it all does'nt look so flat, then have the fancy door trim the color of the other house trims.. You could get lots of ideas for interior door trims on Houzz. RE: Architecturaldepot.com
February 14, 2013 at 1:05pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I suggest a wrought iron railing that would be as high as the window sill. Like a Juliet Balcony look. It could be black wrought iron or even paint it white as in your trim color. If you have a light fixture in the foyer, maybe something in black iron to match the railing. I find this is often a great solution.
February 14, 2013 at 1:11pm   
jemilyn
Thank you for your suggestions . Love the idea of just trimming with moulding and just leaving it alone. Tried the fake plants before but too much hassle dusting up there.
February 14, 2013 at 1:44pm     
PRO
Linda Peterson
Trimming the ledge out would be adding a quality look. If you are going to stay there for awhile, I would also get a gorgeous new door and sidelights with more glass and or iron, depending on the architectural style of the home. Looks like you could even go with an 8 foot door and sidelights.
February 15, 2013 at 9:18am     
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Ditto the trim work idea. Then if you'd like to strengthen the space, add art work flanking the door.
A pair of pen and inks, four smaller etchings, or, if you've got an adventurous spirit, a pair of antiqued mirrors. I say antiqued because they're reflective and not too gaudy.
February 15, 2013 at 9:35am     
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Mirrors above......................(adding a mirror near your doors will add some architectural interest without actually building anything. Mirrors also have a similar effect on our perception as windows do. They add light and a view.).
February 15, 2013 at 9:38am     
PRO
Miller's Paint & Wallpaper
This is a 2 story area and I would use more than one paint color. I would define it that way. Wouldn't put anything up there.
February 15, 2013 at 9:57am     
PRO
ArtHaus Gallery
A 12"x 72" resin panel by REX RAY would be amazing above the ledge.
February 15, 2013 at 3:19pm   
myrns
Your photos don't show the whole upper window. If it is bare, I suggest you add a valance or blind or Roman shade or a combination of these coverings. It should match the other windows on the front of your house. Then from the outside the window over the door won't look like big black hole. From the inside the window treatment will soften the stark window frame. Also suggest adding molding at the bottom of the ledge and run it around the whole area at the same level. Not sure I've explained that last bit clearly. What I'm trying to say is don't just add molding under the ledge but extend it as much as possible. More detail in the hallway will downplay the ledge. Leave the ledge itself empty.....................unless you like climbing ladders to dust. :-)
February 15, 2013 at 5:08pm