Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with dining room
lisam17
February 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I would like your thoughts on what I'm planning to do with my dining room. I have an inspiration photo in my ideabook, but I couldn't figure out how to add it to this post.

I've attached three photos of my dining room and one of my kitchen to give you an idea of the flow. My kitchen is also a work in progress (hopefully new, much darker countertops and an altered peninsula).

In the dining room, I'm thinking of a much deeper yellow/gold on the walls. I like the raw wood paneling, but am considering replacing it with beadboard. What do you think? The ridiculous "molding" needs to be replaced. I would like some ideas on window treatments; we use the wood stove almost daily, so draperies would need to be washable. I like a farmhouse style.

You may notice that we have popcorn ceilings. Sadly, we cannot afford to remove them at this time.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisam17
Here's a link to the photo that I really like:
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 1:07PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Is the photo below the dining room photo you wanted to post from your Ideabook? It's quite lovely.
Can you turn your dining table the other way, running it the length of the room and more in the center of the space? I wonder if an electrician could place an electrical connection above the table's new location instead of your having to swag it over.

The dining chairs in the photo seem to be painted black which is something you could probably do with yours. As for your draperies, I would instead use roman shades on the windows, unless they too would get dirty from the wood stove also.
Derby Hill Farm Lyme NH Cape Cod Guest Retreat Office
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 1:35PM
toni1959
Great space.... Just paint the wood in white instead of replacing. As far as window treatments purchase faux blinds which are easy to clean, I had a Wood burning stove! Turn your table to make your flow better. In your kitchen think about removing your Island all together and replacing it with a beautiful free flowing farm inspired piece of furniture in the middle of the kitchen. Also replace the handles on your cabinets it will give you the look and feel you want without spending a lot of money.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 1:49PM
lisam17
@Carolyn, I commented to my post with a link to my inspiration photo, which is really just for the color scheme, since it's not a dining room.

I will try turning the table. Right now it's oriented this way to cover the paneling, which is poorly finished in this spot.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 2:00PM
lisam17
@toni, we're on the same page with island. I want it to look like a more substantial piece of furniture with some real character.

The existing paneling is in really poor shape (gaps, stains, gouges).
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 2:06PM
PRO
It would be great if you could replace the paneling with beadboard as you mentioned. A much fresher look, particularly with your yellow gold walls above the beadboard.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 2:07PM
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
Removing the popcorn ceiling is actually a very simple process that can easily be done as a DIY project. It really should be done before anything else... because the room will never look right until it is. The wood trim around the ceiling should be painted out to match other painted trim or the color of the walls or ceiling.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 2:38PM
kerrymincher
We just removed our popcorn ceiling in the dining room and living room with very little cost but big difference go to you tube to see how
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 2:47PM
lisam17
Believe me, no one would like to see the popcorn ceiling go more than I would. However, it has to be tested for asbestos first, and if it tests positive we will not be able to afford to have it removed. Additionally, we would be obligated to disclose that should we ever decide to move. I've looked into having them covered, but was informed that my state now requires testing for asbestos even for that.

I know the room will not be perfect with those ceilings, but I think they can still be improved upon.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 3:06PM
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
It is very well likely that it would be required to be tested anyway in the case of a resale.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 3:21PM
libradesigneye
The diagonal wood is not advancing your farmhouse style, but where the wood runs horizontal behind the stove is great for that look. You'll get the most farmhouse style from wide planks run horizontally all the way from floor to ceiling then painted out one color like an old cabin. That would be my prescription when you demo the existing wainscoting throughout this room.

They sell beveled / t&g boards in primed mdf panels with the wider plank than standard beadboard so it is easy to work with - glue and finish nails in the joints and wowsa! Install this running horizontally up to the ceiling, taking out the trim around the wood behind the fireplace and matching into it, then framing out the one post to kitchen with squared off trim around it top and bottom, then paint it all out your favorite golden straw tone.

Butcher block counters are inexpensive at IKEA or a wood floor store, so to remedy your immediate challenge there, take the top off, move the storage unit now under the open peninsula over next to the stove and just cut down the top you have now for that. Then, under the passthrough - try a wide thriftstore / ikea shaker style dresser painted dark barn red and top it all with a deep butcherblock top for a shot of color and style (and added storage in the kitchen). Carry the butcherblock top to cap the wall so you have added function too. This will open up the center of the kitchen big enough for a counter stool or two if you get the deeper width of butcher block. Use the back corner for a tall trash or recycle bin.

I understand why the table is turned this way given the size of the space remaining in the room - you just need to move the small black table on the passthru wall away - to sit next to another chair where the wood is now stored by fire so people can gather there. Eventually find a harmonizing print - perhaps a gold and white check to layer pattern into curtains and kitchen valance too.

The kitchen also needs a shot of color on the wall and I'd carry it all through this room. The straw tone of pale gold from your inspiration would be warm everywhere. Consider painting your farmhouse chairs black to echo the stove, and look for a larger fan with black hardware as this one is too small for your room.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 3:27PM
lisam17
@libradesigneye, I'm glad you mentioned butcher block, because I've been considering it for an island, with a different countertop style for the rest of the counters. If I like the gold straw color, I do plan to continue it into the kitchen. I'm also planning to do a beadboard wallpaper backsplash.

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions!
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 5:33PM
PRO
I would recommend a real beadboard backsplash instead of a wallpaper one. It will last longer and probably will not cost any more than a paper one.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 7:43PM