Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Decorating My Living Room
Ms. Barkley
February 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I purchased these end tables on Horchow (Sadie End Tables) almost a year ago and I finally have a place of my own; living w/my boyfriend. We're currently looking for a sofa; however, we do not want to purchase a sofa that looks glamourous. We are going to fall asleep on it a time or two watching TV, so we want something comfortable...any ideas on a color story or style. We've been to almost every furniture store in Phila, PA area and can't agree on a sofa that will go great w/them.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
rinqreation
Those tables are adorable!
February 14, 2013 at 1:39pm     
Ms. Barkley
Thank u; although now I wish I never bought them since I'm having a difficult time designing a room around them.
February 14, 2013 at 1:44pm   
PRO
Stoneshop
Have you tried Crate & Barrel? There's one in Cherry Hill, NJ, right by the mall. They have a pretty good selection of attractive sofas that all come in numerous colors: http://www.crateandbarrel.com/furniture/sofas/1

Those end tables are beautiful! Love them.
February 14, 2013 at 1:45pm     
homeexchanger
Maybe you should try working with an interior designer. We just ordered a sofa that has the legs, arms, cushions, etc. that we like and it is being custom made for not that much more than retail. Or they can suggest retail items that might work for you. (In my case, they also function to bring my husband's and my very different tastes together.) Usually you can get a consultation for free and then everyone decides if they want to work together.

Also, in addition to going to stores, I like to go on home tours (usually held for charity) or even open houses for ideas. Love the tables.
February 14, 2013 at 1:52pm   
rinqreation
I think those tables will look good with most sofa's. Especialy the slim ones, soft colors, like natural linen.
February 14, 2013 at 2:12pm     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Your beautiful tables would go with so many sofas, both contemporary and transitional. If you select one with low arms, the tables will be easily accesible. I like the Loring sofa from Room & Board, below. It's a transitional look that comes in three sizes. The second sofa is more modern. I'd throw away those square pillows and replace them with something more comfortable looking.
Loring Sofas Gus Modern Spencer Sofa
February 14, 2013 at 2:17pm     
DIAspoton
the tables were a very good choice. look at pottery barn on line. the comfort line is pretty and it's extra deep for snuggling and snoozing. many stock slipcover options. reasonable price point.
February 14, 2013 at 2:28pm   
PRO
Depending on the height of your tables, they might function as a pair of "coffee" tables, instead of one larger one. How tall are they?
February 14, 2013 at 2:40pm     
Jayme H.
Crate & Barrel, West Elm...love your tables..first sofa not a great one for lying about on...but simply elegant!
February 14, 2013 at 2:41pm   
armygirl1987
I think Crate and Barrel have the most comfortable sofas. You should try there.
February 14, 2013 at 2:43pm   
PRO
White Van Real Estate Services, Southern CA
Beautiful end tables - classy mid-century modern style. For a sofa I would stick with that era, like the photo's suggested by Carolyn. Or put one next to a side chair and the other at a little nook reading area in your bedroom.
February 14, 2013 at 3:04pm   
Jayme H.
Interiors International has a few killer sofas in one of his ideabooks...
February 14, 2013 at 3:06pm     
PRO
ASVInteriors
A pottery barn sofa pb square inmicrofiber that is cream or greige will fit colour wise and comfort wise. You can stretch out on it, wash covers, and watch tv cuddled up. Enjoy!
February 14, 2013 at 3:09pm   
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
These tables definitely call for a sleek, clean lined sofas... nothing slouchy or over stuffed...
February 14, 2013 at 3:26pm     
Kari Palomo
What about this?
February 14, 2013 at 3:36pm     
nononanna
With a clean-lined sofa, they could be that one little touch of glamour that will make the room great. They way the boyfriend won't have to fear that it will be too girly.

You do know that this will be an issue for the life of your relationship, right? Somebody needs to be in charge of decorating, and it should probably be you, but you might have to go slowly to make his realize this fact. With some, the fact that it ends up being a lot of work is enough to get them out of the loop...
February 14, 2013 at 3:38pm     
Ms. Barkley
The sofa that we're going to look at this wkend at Macy's; Martha Stewart has tuffing. He has Golden Retriever so we can't use the tables as a coffee table cus I'm scared that the baby would bump into them. I want a bold color, but we have to agree. Thanx I'll suggest stopping in Crate as well on Sat. Thanx for all of the compliments and suggestions. Last I'm all for specially ordering something, but he wants to save money, he really wants to purchase this sofa at A.S. that we saw for $400; I'm pretty sure that it'll probably won't hold up.
February 14, 2013 at 3:38pm     
nononanna
The styles are C&B and West Elm are good so you can hardly go wrong. What's AS?
February 14, 2013 at 3:42pm     
Ms. Barkley
American Signature
February 14, 2013 at 3:44pm     
nononanna
The big problem with really inexpensive furniture is that the style can be gook so it looks ok for two years or so, but nobody wants to get rid of it after only two years so you keep it for a long time after it no longer looks decent.
February 14, 2013 at 3:47pm   
bojaby
The tables are beautiful. I would look for a streamlined contemporary or modern couch with no excess padding and low arms and backs. A light color would be nice but may not be practical if this will serve as your every day couch. I would try a shade of brown or even a sage. Try to repeat the circle theme by using round mirrors and or round pillows on the couch or a round rug under the furniture if your floors are not carpeted. Check Overstock.com for sofas.
February 14, 2013 at 4:17pm     
lori77h30
U said u have two right?. What about putting them together as a impromptu coffee table? then the sofa can be casual and get different side tables. Love them
February 14, 2013 at 4:19pm   
Aja Mazin
Ms Barkley,

Here is a Beige Italian Leather Modern Sofa for $979.

This leather sectional is under $1,100.

Your stunning ending tables would go well with either.
I have found leather to be most durable and practical.

I too enjoy stealing a nap on my sofa!
February 14, 2013 at 5:18pm     
Aja Mazin
Ms. Barkley,

I missed the Chesterfield style sofa you posted from AS.

I like AS and have confidence in the quality of the product lines they carry and the service they provide.
February 14, 2013 at 7:12pm   
PRO
With a young golden retriever around, if you are afraid that he'll push the tables around, I suggest you find concrete stepping stones that will fit inside the table bases. Wrap the edges of the concrete with foam padding, place the table over the stepping stones and your tables should be retriever proof.
February 14, 2013 at 7:28pm     
onthefence
Carolyn, my thoughts kept going to puppy nose prints ;-)

Ms. Barkley, those really are gorgeous tables!
February 14, 2013 at 7:32pm   
PRO
I've never even heard of a sofa for $400. You're right, it won't last. But since puppies can be very destructive, as long as he pays for the sofa, that leaves you free to get what you want when the puppy has outgrown his destructive ways. As long as puppy doesn't get the idea that he can destroy whatever he wants, whenever! Hey, I've trained cats to stay off the furniture, but I haven't a clue about dogs! But no way should you pay for a $400 sofa that you know will not last!
February 14, 2013 at 7:33pm   
PRO
onthefence, I didn't consider noseprints, never having encountered such with kitty cats!
February 14, 2013 at 7:37pm     
Aja Mazin
Before I pass judgment on the quality and durability of a sofa, I would want to know the maker and do my own research.

Too often money is wasted on furniture purchased from "well known" stores who mark up inferior goods.
February 14, 2013 at 7:49pm     
PRO
Very true, Aja, but it also works the other way when something is priced so much lower than the norm that one has to wonder at the quality.
February 14, 2013 at 7:58pm     
Jayme H.
I have bought a few lemons...but we beat them to death...so I guess we deserved it too but...still...lots of crappy stuff out there.
February 14, 2013 at 7:59pm   
gordie01
We bought a beautiful sofa that would go well with your end tables. Try http://www.roomservicestore.com And here is a picture of our sofa, although they have a ton of different kinds. I like ours because it is extra deep and down filled = super comfy!
February 14, 2013 at 8:02pm     
DIAspoton
carloyn, dogs can easily be trained to stay off the furniture with a scat mat. it's battery operated and harmless.
February 14, 2013 at 8:09pm     
bojaby
I beg to differ about not finding a sofa for $400. If you watch the sales you can find a nice sofa. I just got a sofa at Slumber land. Almost everywhere you can find a discount furniture store carrying Ashley and other brands. For a young couple with dogs a less expensive sofa may be the best choice. Some of us are really on a budget and also don't want the same sofa for the next 50 years. Again I
will direct you to Overstock or just Google discount furniture for your area. Many places have discontinued styles or over productions that are beautiful and great prices.
February 14, 2013 at 8:33pm     
zenhome
Those are great end tables and like Carolyn said above will go with almost any style sofa. If you don't see any photos on Houzz with sofa styles you like, you might want to consider hiring a designer in your area to help out.

Good luck!
February 14, 2013 at 9:27pm   
rinqreation
Ikea has a nice Karlstad sofa. Get a cover on it while the puppy is young.

February 15, 2013 at 1:49am     
nononanna
The look of gordie01's sofa is good, but you were trying to get away from overstuffed.
February 15, 2013 at 1:52am   
arrandoon
Check out Macey's website the Chloe velvet Metro living sofa would look great and it comes as a set or individual, and comes in a great range of subtle colors.
February 15, 2013 at 2:27am   
PRO
DOWNS INTERIORS
I'm an interior designer and I have the exact end table in my gust bedroom. If you need any assistance with designing your space, please call Downs Interiors @ 917-902-9808. We're located in Central Jersey.
February 15, 2013 at 5:15am     
Ms. Barkley
GM Downs...my twin sister suggested the same thing; use them as nightstands since my current stands for my bedroom set are falling apart.
February 15, 2013 at 5:24am     
PRO
DOWNS INTERIORS
Your twin sister is right. They had so much glamour for such small end tables. Just the right balance.
February 15, 2013 at 5:25am   
PRO
JMittman Designs
$400 for a sofa? Agree with Carolyn. There is usually a reason a sofa is only $400. Cheap furniture is usually cheap furniture--in my experience. Just as cheap fabric is usually cheap fabric. I sometimes see people excited about buying fabric for a couple dollars a yard--there is a reason for it. It is usually discontinued, woven off grain, dye lot off, defects, etc. These issues may or may not matter to the purchaser, but that is the reason for the bargain price. I would be hesitant to purchase a sofa for $400 anywhere.
February 15, 2013 at 5:33am   
soberg
Gorgeous tables, they are "room makers", you can hardly go wrong with all the great ideas here.
February 15, 2013 at 5:41am     
nononanna
Wow - good idea to put them in the bedroom. They look great.
February 15, 2013 at 8:30am     
PRO
movenready properties, LLC
Gorgeous tables! I see a royal or navy blue couch working nicely with these. They are really modern and I think you can have a lot of fun with these!
February 15, 2013 at 8:33am     
zenhome
Any colour would work with these tables. Personally, I would go with a neutral sofa and bring in colours through accessories such as pillows and artwork.
February 15, 2013 at 8:48am   
carolins
Very funky tables!
Ikea has some great sofa's for a good price, I saw the Karlstad sofa already up here, but this seems a good one too, the Kivik sofa:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79875239/#/S39895022

IKEA living room 1
Peter Hassler
IKEA living room 2
February 15, 2013 at 8:54am   
modlnurs03
I just purchased a navy blue leather sectional that I designed for the needs of my family, as we enjoy lounging and watching tv together and the leather was great for our little dog, as I am very odor conscience. I also found the navy to be a good neutral for my home, a little wait and a few more $$$ but well worth it in the long run, and LOVE the chaise!
February 15, 2013 at 9:07am   
zenhome
I agree going with leather. Great choice for small kids and dogs.
February 15, 2013 at 9:32am     
Ms. Barkley
Thanx everyone. Just last night I mentioned a sectional; the both of us tried to lay on his existing sofa. I ended up throwing the back cushions on the floor so that we would both fit. I too want a colorful sofa ( Movein Ready). Gordie; thats a beautiful spacious sofa you have there.

I checked out Ikea yesterday since I was in the area; great curtain selection. Last, our baby is 6yrs old; he knows to stay off the furniture. But he's a bit jealous; whenever my boyfriend and I are snuggled up on the sofa he tries to get in on the affection and squeezes between what space is left between the sofa and the existing coffee table so I think I'll go with Downs' suggestion as nightstands. Once we get in, purchase a home as the layout will be different than our apt I'll reconsider incorporating them in the design of the livingroom again.
February 16, 2013 at 4:46am     
PRO
DOWNS INTERIORS
I'm glad my suggestion works. It'll look great. The good thing about these beautiful tables is that they are versatile in any room. Enjoy!
February 16, 2013 at 4:51am