powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with wall colour, accessories and flooring for our living room.
Fungai Blake
February 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have just moved in to a house that needs serious renovating. We have bought a rug, couch and some furniture for our living room. We need help with wall colour, floor type and colour, accessories, cushions for our couch.... Stuff we should get rid of - like the tiny mirror lol. Generally any advice to make our living room awesome :) please help! Clueless in Johannesburg
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fungai Blake
Ps we don't know how to work with our Persian rug - it's mostly red with a bit of black and tiny bits of white. Don't know how to incorporate other colours into the colour scheme... Also don't know if we should change the curtains?
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 2:20PM
kinz9999
Get rid of the curtains, did you want to keep the rug? If you do, get throw pillows that coordinate with the rug. I would also lose the chandelier or get a more substantial one in that space. Get lamps on the end tables for softer lighting. Maybe paint one of the walls an accent color, gold, tan or something similar. Good Luck!
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 2:30PM
nononanna
Great room for starters. I'd play up the black in the rug, first of all, The drapes are not as sophisticated as the look you seem to be going for, so they need to go. Skp the lace especially.

If you go with a basiclaly black and white scheme, you could use various greens or blues as accent, but orange, yellow, browns are out because of the rug. Keep in mind that often chinoiserie elements like blue and white stuff are used almost as neutrals - I'd think chinoiserie would be great here.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 2:40PM
ManLand LandMan
Rug on carpet? Get hardwood
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 2:42PM
nononanna
Well, if money is no object then yes, hardwood would be nice, but personally that doesn't seem like the biggest issue right now.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 3:00PM
decoenthusiaste
Pearson's Room Lacey Semi-Flushmount mirror is not reflecting anything beautiful or interesting so it should go. I would focus on black and cream, keeping the rug for an accent and adding accessories, pillows, throws to match the red in it. Cream drapery panels, fabric roman shades under them.Replace your fixture with a semi-flush drum light. I would turn the sofa to face the window, but can't see what is opposite it. Maybe TV?
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 3:40PM
Fungai Blake
Thanks guys! Very helpful :) definitely want to get hard wood - if that's too expensive then a wood laminate. Not sure what color wood though? Dark or light?

The curtains also need to go - but not sure what to replace them with and what color to use?
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 9:18PM
nononanna
Lamps on either side of the sofa could help set the tone. There are lots of trendy drapes out there for not too much money - you could match the walls or go light gray. How do you feel about pattern, and if you like it, would you want it to be geometric, floral, stripes? I think the room could use any of these, depending on your preferences.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 8:40AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I love the light fixture idea above as well as the black and white color scheme. I would then replace the mirror with a colorful large sofa size painting. This would be all the color you would need in the room.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 8:45AM
najeebah1
Hey Howzit Fungani...
I think hardwood floors would be great, in a warm colour to complement the rest of the room.
I agree with the above comment about a larger chandelier.
Replace the mirror with a large (bigger in length than height) artwork.
Use a few medium-dark accent pillows.
The colour of the curtains is ok, the style isn't too bad either. However, if you're going to replace it, try something with more volume and in the same or a darker colour.
0 Likes   August 9, 2014 at 1:40AM
najeebah1
Whoops. Sorry abt typo in your name - Fungai
0 Likes   August 9, 2014 at 1:41AM
najeebah1
Your rug looks awesome with the furniture!
You can use a dark cream paint on the walls. If there's a small wall in the room as well, you could make it a light rust coloured feature wall.
0 Likes   August 9, 2014 at 1:46AM