Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help updating the kitchen
rmizzi
February 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Just purchased a house and want to update the kitchen as we do not like the colour of the cupboards. We are thinking of having dark brown overhead cupboards and gloss white cupboards below. Or having dark brown cupboards everywhere and replacing the back board to the island bench.

We preferred to keep the splashback because of cost but yet to decide.
Also we are thinking of installing pendant light from the island bench.

We wanted a contemporary look that feels very warm. At the moment all the white is making it feel very plain.

Any suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rmizzi
Also forgot to mention that we are going to re-paint the whole house, thinking of going for a light grey wall colour. However that is dependent of the colour of the kitchen.
The colour/theme of the furniture will be based on the colour of the kitche and overall theme.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 3:31PM
bumbles12
I love it as it is .......to me it looks really smart.
5 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 3:50PM
nononanna
Very plain but very cool at the same time. Maybe another bright accent like slate blue, dark turquoise or forest green? At least on the back of the islalnd. I think if you're going to change these cabinets, you should change all of them - mixing orange and brown is going to look kinda 70's

Could I suggest living with it for a while before you do anything? I've moved alot, and remodeled several houses, and in every case the things I did too hastily were the things I had to do over.
4 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 3:53PM
Aja Mazin
Stunning!
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 4:08PM
Melissa Alkema
If you don't hate the orange you could change just the backsplash, and continue with it up to the ceiling where the range hood is. That would remove a little bit of white. You could even continue with the backsplash tiles on the island like in this kitchen: http://st.houzz.com/simgs/31e10ff40ddbe9f1_8-4693/contemporary-kitchen.jpg
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 5:50PM
PRO
Staged for Perfection
I agree, you should live with it for a while. To me it looks lovely. The island will not look so lonely when you put some chairs there.
3 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 6:04PM
PRO
Toronto Designers
Like everyone else here, I see their point - it's lovely as is. But that said, it looks like an awesome staged photo, and perhaps in real life as you know it, it feels wrong. I would start with changing the backsplash before the cabinets however. Try a large 12" x 24" porcelain tile with a wave in it in grey tones. Stack them for a contemporary feel. Go all the way up to the ceiling behind the range hood with the tile. And don't tile the sides (as it is now), just the back part.

Then I would add a colourful runner along the open space leading to the dining area.

Full back Parson's type counter stools will add a lot of warmth and I see a practical grey tone linen fabric being used. Go ahead and use black or dark brown legs on the stools, and then use oil rubbed bronze or black modern or retro pendant lights for over the counter.

If you still hate the wood, just paint it black. all of them. You'll have a nice high-contrast white and black kitchen. But I'm not convinced - just an alternative after you have lived with the wood for a while. Different wood colours always come and go. Maybe you just need time with this one.

Good luck and keep us all posted.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 6:18PM
PRO
Trouble Free Electric
I would remove the soffit, replace the cabinets with a taller version that went to the ceiling and have glass in the doors. Those cabinets look like ikea, that kitchen is way to nice for them. Also, rebuild the island to match the new cabinets, maybe even do butcher block tops. You should also consider a high end LED under cabinet lighting option like DiodeLED.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 6:32PM
nmgiorgi
Either some matching wooden bar stools or go for the whole new look of black cabinets which will look great with the red accent
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 6:59PM
AMN
What kind of treatment are you thinking to change the cabinets? I would think that would cost about the same as a backsplash--depending on the material you choose.

The backsplash, IMO, is the problem. It is making the cabinets fight for your attention, and in the process, compromising the beauty of the wood.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 7:08PM
hollyskog
I like the kitchen I do think just some cool hanging lights may be all you need. Somehow I'm seeing a little crystal but simple. I'd have to research it a little. Sometimes you know it when you see it. Something modern but a little sparkle. Maybe cabinets should be white. Make the lights the focal point. Add some really cool modern bar stools
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 7:37PM
hollyskog
That is if the walls were a pretty pewter gray other wise too stark and cold. Check out the modern fuchsia pendants.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 7:39PM
nononanna
What if you used really goodlooking oriental runners on the floor - I'm thinking Turkmen, Iranian or even Nepalese - the color combinations are fabulous, they act as neutrals but warm up the space and I love them with real contemporary looks. Also the hanging lights are a great idea and there are cool ones available everywhere.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 1:42AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
Like many posters I really like this kitchen it is sleek, modern and functional. Perhaps you could reflect the current trend of mixing white with wood. This will add the warmth.
It seems to me the problem is that the elements don't blend that smoothly (so your island could have a wood panel below the counter, and your cupboard facing could go white leaving the frames wood)
Market Street Penthouse Kitchen
Kitchen - View to Backyard
Mod Redux
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 2:05AM
charleee
I don't mind the cabinets or the backsplash, but the all white floor would drive me crazy! I would need to add area rugs wherever possible because to me it's the floor that's making the kitchen feel so cold.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 2:32AM
nononanna
Love the wood in the post above...
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 8:35AM
Aja Mazin
I like your kitchen, but understand your issues:

1.] You do not like the colour of the cupboards;

2.] You want a contemporary look that feels very warm, but you feel all the white is making it feel very plain;

3.] You are not presently prepared to replace the backsplash..

Keeping within your parameters, I believe area rugs and runners would be an ideal solution:

Durable, easy to clean oriental style, machine loomed wool rugs are available from Turkey at very inexpensive prices.
2 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 2:06PM
charleee
Ah, Aja, great minds think alike!
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 3:01PM
sjkingston

Here's an example of your stye of kitchen with white and brown cabinets, a red backsplash, white island with a wood front. If this is the look you're going for, restaining some of the cabinetry brown and painting the rest white and putting a stained brown veneer on the front of the island would achieve the look for minimal cost. Then adding some oriental rugs as others suggested to warm it up would balance the modern style.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 10:30PM
PRO
The Virtual Designer- Kitchens & Bathrooms
Hello, I feel that the wall cabinets are too much and I'd consider replacing these with glass front doors in a shade that matches your wall color, whatever that is going to be.
ASVInteriors had some good suggestions and I think you need the base cabinet doors to be a deeper stain than they are now. A timber that has brown/red tones would be best....the Mod Redux picture above has the tone of timber I think would suit your kitchen.. Perhaps you could just get the base doors re-stained if they are timber. I also agree that the back of the island could be clad with timber to match the base cabinets. I've played around with your images and tried to give you an idea of the tonal differences that could be achieved. i hope this is helpful and good luck.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 3:24AM
PRO
The Virtual Designer- Kitchens & Bathrooms
Sorry, put the same pic in twice. Here's the other pic
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 3:29AM
Kay
If you are thinking of grey walls I recently built a new modern home painted in Dulux Dieskau it looks fab with all timber tones and changes in different lights. Your kitchen needs a splash of you!!
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 1:09PM