powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with furniture layout for my great room!
eunypoo
February 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm having trouble with my long and narrow great room/living room. My fireplace is in the middle of the room and I don't like the TV on top of the fireplace. I don't really care for a dining table, it's just more of a space filler. Appreciate all the help I can get.

Here is the floor plan of my house: http://www.starlanehomes.com/files/Newport-4.pdf
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bojaby
Is that a bay window?

Have you tried flanking the fireplace with your lounge chairs facing away from the fireplace and putting the couch the long way with the coffee table in front of it? Or you may want to replace the round table with a longer narrower table or eliminate it all together and put an end table on either end of the couch. Be sure to leave room behind the couch to create a traffic path. You don't want people to have to walk through your conversation area to get to the other part of the room.

If you don't want a dining table in this room remove it and make a reading area with two chairs and a table or a love seat in front of the bay window.

I hate that we have to arrange rooms around TV but understand the need. I find a rotating wall mount to be the most versatile. They can be flat against the wall when not in use or pulled out and put at a perfect viewing angle when needed. It could be mounted to the right of the fireplace with a piece of art hung on the left to balance. If you are going to purchase new chairs for the bay window think about swivel chairs. There are some beautiful sleek ones or there. They could turn to view TV.

I love the dog. Be sure to include him and his bed in your final version!
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 4:48PM
PRO
Chap De Laine's Interiors
Don't understand where the doors are, but I love #2. It looks cozy and you could focus either on the fireplace for conversation or the TV when necessary. If you don't have one, building a seat into the bay window could be additional seating and/or storage.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 4:58PM
eunypoo
bojaby, is the attached image what you mean? I left 2.5' of walking space behind the couch.

Yes, that's a bay window that's curved. I also love the dog! :)
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 6:25PM
eunypoo
Chap De Laine's Interiors, do you think it's awkward that the L-couch is not straight or horizontal? Most layouts are one or the other. I do like how i'm making the room versatile.

Here is the floor plan of the house, this will give you a better idea. http://www.starlanehomes.com/files/Newport-4.pdf

Top left is window, fireplace, window. Mid-bottom left is hallway entrance. Bottom left is opening to the kitchen and then the opening to the breakfast area.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 6:28PM
PRO
Chap De Laine's Interiors
I wouldn't worry about the angled furniture, as long as it's comfy moving around in the room.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 12:29PM
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
I like the first plan the best.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 1:00PM
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
I like the second layout, and if you do not need the 5' unit on the left wall , then a round table for 4 can fit , with a corner hutch buffet. Not sure if it would fit your family requirements.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 1:11PM
decoenthusiaste
Second one is better as you don't really appear to have room for a dining area unless you squeeze in a banquette for the bay and push the living area more to the opposite end. You need 24" of clearance for chairs at the table so a banquette would help with space saving.
Kitchen
Vestavia Hills House
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 2:39PM
Lizabeth
I looked at your floorplan on your link. Since you have a dining area next to the kitchen I like your second plan using the livng room as a living room only. 21 x 11 foot is not large enough for both living and dining in my opinion. why would you want two dining areas side by side?
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 3:05PM
eunypoo
banquette could be an option if i feel the need for a dining area. My kitchen area will be big enough for my family of two :) and maybe eventually a family of four. i only put a dining table there because i felt like i needed to fill space.

I'm also leaning towards the second layout - thanks!
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 4:22PM