Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help for master bath
cindya02
February 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The counter in the master bath is a gray/white laminate. The plan is to paint the walls my favorite color which is grayish blue. I love monochromatic color schemes so the towels would be navy. There’s an abundance of 4” glossy white tiles around the tub and shower. I figured a tile floor would be too much tile so I’m looking at a wood-look laminate plank flooring. There’s a wood-look sheet flooring but am afraid it will look too cheap. The carpet in the master bedroom is a light beige so do I need to have the flooring coordinate? My mental images are always great but rarely come out that way in the real world. Any suggestions for a small budget would be appreciated. I favor traditional.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
A deeper shade of grey will pop, but in a quiet, traditional way.
February 14, 2013 at 6:17pm     
Judy M
Why not look at the wood look porcelain tiles, they will hold up much better in a bathroom than laminate.
February 14, 2013 at 6:22pm     
dianahb
Agree with the above poster (wood-look plank porcelain tiles). But, also, can you really have TOO much tile in a bathroom? I'd probably go with a grey porcelain on the floor. There are many beautiful porcelains out there that are very affordable. I was at my local tile shop just the other week and saw a really very good-looking mid-grey porcelain, smooth matte finish, that was something around $2.50 a sq foot. I was shocked at the price. Hard to beat that. Vinyl plank flooring would probably be a good choice, but I bet it's more expensive than some of these porcelains.
February 14, 2013 at 6:34pm     
PRO
Dytecture
Luckily vinyl flooring don't have to look 'cheap' anymore. Here is an article.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,20475678,00.html
February 14, 2013 at 6:50pm     
cindya02
I don't think I've ever seen wood-look porcelain tiles...will definitely check it out. Thanks everybody!
February 14, 2013 at 6:54pm   
PRO
Pawnee True Value
Laminate flooring doesn't perform well in wet areas but, LVT (luxury vinyl tile) is impervious to water. It's also very user friendly and every day the selection and look gets better. More and more companies are making great products. Most have a 25 yr residential warranty which speaks volumes. You can get it in a tile or a wood look and if you ever damage one you can heat up the glue with a blow dryer, pry it up and replace the bad one and have a completely renewed floor. It's easier on your feet, not cold or hard. This is the kind of floors commercial settings are going to as well.
February 14, 2013 at 7:30pm     
dianahb
I'm curious-- how expensive-- in general-- is LVT?
February 14, 2013 at 8:06pm   
PRO
Pawnee True Value
I would say around $2.50 and up.
February 14, 2013 at 8:13pm   
PRO
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
No laminate floor in bathroom. You'll regret it. Most of it is particle board core. Lots of wood plank tile on the market. Looks really nice
February 14, 2013 at 8:14pm     
PRO
Pawnee True Value
That's a square foot price.
February 14, 2013 at 8:14pm   
bojaby
Have you seen the new vinyl strip flooring that you can get either in a wood or cork look? It is attractive and very reasonable as well as moisture proof. If your master carpet is light you might like the cork.
February 14, 2013 at 8:20pm     
dianahb
Thanks for the info on cost.

Cindy-- for what it's worth-- since you have tile everywhere else, I would stick with tile on the floor. The cost seems like it could be comparable, though not sure of installation costs (installing tile vs vinyl). But I can't imagine why you wouldn't use tile, if cost is comparable. And, again, you can find some beautiful porcelains at very affordable prices. Unless you have a problem walking on tile, I personally would not introduce another product.
February 14, 2013 at 8:33pm     
PRO
ASVInteriors
I have added ceramic wood plank in a bathroom with great success - you can get it most everywhere now - just choose your wood! http://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary/wood-tile-
February 15, 2013 at 12:07am     
cindya02
Appreciate all the advice.I have paralysis of analysis because It's very hard for me to visualize. It would be an expensive mistake if I'm not happy with the results. Looking at all options would a white floor be too much white?
February 15, 2013 at 7:18pm   
dianahb
cindy: I love that phrase, "paralysis of analysis" and know exactly what you mean.

The reason I would not go with a white floor, is because I always feel that you need some kind of grounding in a light room like this one; otherwise, you might feel like you're floating in space. That may be just me-- but the ground beneath us is typically dark (grass, asphalt, dirt), so it seems more natural.

It wouldn't be a disaster, though. You're painting your walls a grayish/blue, and you could add darker rugs to the white floor. Still . . . I really think a grey floor would be beautiful and classic-- even a charcoal grey. Grey is just a very sophisticated and clean color. It would be really nice in there. And you can absolutely get an affordable porcelain (which is harder, stronger, and less absorbent than ceramic) that would go great in there. You can also go to local tile stores that often have designers there, on salary, who can guide and point you in the right direction so you don't feel you're making a huge design disaster. That is why they are there-- to help the consumer.

But I really think you cannot go wrong with a deep charcoal or mid-grey. (Whatever is on your laminate, go darker, I would say-- don't try to match.) And doing that will also suggest that you gave it some thought (rather than simply picking white because it was easy, safe, and less stressful to do).

That's my suggestion. It looks like a lovely bathroom, though. I love the idea of the blue/grey walls.
February 15, 2013 at 7:47pm     
cindya02
any other decorating tips?
February 16, 2013 at 5:01am