Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with my entry way
Michelle Phillips
February 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Please! Please help with my entry way! What size rug do you recommend? 5x7 would fit within the tile border but is that too big? What furniture would be best in front of 2 large windows that start at floor level? Any other comments ideas are gladly accepted. The styleI like best is contemporary. Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Darzy
Can we see the rest of the space to get a feel for your design style?
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 7:20PM
PRO
Toronto Designers
Do you have photos from a different angle? What is the table I see in the foreground?

To start, the front door is lovely! Take out the vases from the windows and the words from above the door. Then I would add some more substantial millwork around the door to make the sidelights look like they are part of the door.

A long low bench with a tufted leather top would look great. Not sure what colours you like, but it can be almost anything that relates and introduces the rest of your house.

I would introduce a beautiful overdyed rug in a colour you love. Something like this would be beautiful - http://www.elte.com/product/silk-orchid-star-816-turquoiseandblue/112624004250/. And if you like this, then a dark brown leather would be nice on the bench. A 5' x 7' rug covering the border would look best. Standard is closer to 5' x 8' if that can fit.
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 7:25PM
Darzy
To answer your question, I think a 5 x 8 rug would fit nicely there. You mention you like contemporary but the current space/furniture looks more tradtional. How about a low sleek bench in front of the windows? The door/bench and dining table look more traditional though. Are you changing those furniture pieces out?

1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 8:29PM
Michelle Phillips
Yes, I will upload some other photos. Just keep in mind though that we've only been in this house for less than a year. I am still sorting through what works and what doesn't from our last house. I have many projects. I am also new to this site but absolutely love it! Thanks everyone for such a quick responses.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 8:51PM
Michelle Phillips
@Darzy; the bench in the photo is not staying. My last house the decor was very traditional. I am changing most everything out in our new home. I love the bench. Perfect! Thank you!
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 8:55PM
Michelle Phillips
Additional view
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 9:05PM
deemenendez
I feel a round table over a round rug would be a stunning introduction. Looking at your photo, add a framed mirror to the wall on the left by the windows. Add curtains. Good luck.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 9:46PM
PRO
JWinteriors
What a beautiful kitchen! Add window panels to either side of the window that soften the edges of the foyer. Add iron bar stools as well as an iron bench. A 5 x 8 area rug will keep the area looking large and add color. As said above, remove accessories from around the door...keep it clean and uncluttered. Welcome home!
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 10:03PM
PRO
Welcome Home designs
Do you have a closet for coats?
What is on the wall opposite the bench?
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 10:12PM
Michelle Phillips
As suggested I removed all items. Will also look into millwork for side lights. Looking for curtains, a rug, found the perfect iron bar stools on houzz, I have a coat closet but not in the optimal location. Perhaps a coat hanger on the left side as you face front door?? I'm torn between a leather tufted bench or a small cabinet/table (although a sofa type table does not work because of the windows) because I have some beautiful frames I would like to display. I'm thinking the bench is probably the better option. Would you suggest a neutral colored rug or ??? Please give me more rug suggestions. Thank you all!
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 12:22AM
Michelle Phillips
No wall opposite the bench. Transitions to carpet in living room.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 12:24AM
PRO
JMittman Designs
So the ceiling is vaulted to the living room? On your entry windows, I would put up stationary curtain panels on a rod installed mid way from top of window to ceiling. A geometric or textured pattern would look great. I like the mill work idea on the side lights too. LOVE your door.
2 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 7:55AM
PRO
Welcome Home designs
The attached photo shows an option for guests to hang coats and a small sofa for sitting.

0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:29PM
PRO
OHANA INTERIORS
Have you considered replacing the entry with another product. Eliminating the need to cover the tile rug? Wood will give it a warmer feel.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 7:50PM
Michelle Phillips
Yes, actually that is high upon my wish list. I would like to remove all the tile from the entry way and kitchen and the carpet from the office and family room and replace it all with bamboo hardwood. This is the first home I've had with this much tile and I do not love it. In addition to the aesthetics, it is very hard on my back. Thank you for your input.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:01PM
ann
5x7 is good in warm colors, oriental
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:03PM
Michelle Phillips
Thank you. I believe I have found one with some burnt orange and browns. I will post a pic soon.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:10PM
Michelle Phillips
A rug that is.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 8:11PM
PRO
Leya Matalas
Here's how to "contemporize" your space. Switch to ceiling to floor sliding blinds- Theses run on a track. In the side windows put some see thru white fabric, that goes with the sliding blinds. The carpet gets lots of traffic. patterns work best. Choose one tha picks up the colur on the floor somewhere in it.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 8:49PM
Keitha
It looks as if you have a nice size entry with great windows and a beautiful door. I have attached a casual traditional option to consider It would definitely look nice if the door and sidelights were trimmed out to look like one cohesive unit as suggested in an earlier post.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 9:15PM
Michelle Phillips
Thank you for another completely different idea Leya! And for taking the time to photoshop it for me to see. That helped me significantly!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 4:42PM
mom2hsm
I like a round rug -- something durable for entryway wear and tear!
0 Likes   February 23, 2014 at 1:56PM