Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Pain Dilemma
Camille Sita
February 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have chosen the incorrect paint color twice now and I am looking for idea's to make this tile be the focal point. My cupboards are dark brown and my counter is white and my floor is a light hardwood which can be refinished darker if necessary. I wanted a green paint color for the walls and made the mistake of buying the paint first, and then the tile!! I am looking for something other than taupe, grey or white. I am new at this website so forgive me if I haven't provided enough information. :) If it would help, I could post a picture of the kitchen, however, from the picture that I took, the green paint that is on the wall now, looks GREAT with the tile?? I'm not afraid of color.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Camille Sita
My TYPO is actually 'funny' because it has been a PAIN! :) thanks to anyone who has ideas for me.
February 14, 2013 at 7:46PM     
PRO
ASVInteriors
Okay this is where paint gets very tricky. You see it on a small paint chip, then you buy it and open the pot and go wow - then you paint it and it dries darker - also the surface you paint it on can make a huge difference on how it finally renders.
Design trick - find some paint samples and empty shoe boxes; paint all 4 sides in your intended colour and let it dry. Place it in your kitchen(?) and you will see how the light (day and night) changes and is affected by light.
In my opinion you should take your tiles to your local paint supplier and find the midpoint (not the more olive version but the mid-pointl version for your tiles)
Below is a Farrow and Ball paint - Pale Powder which might give you a range to work with.
February 15, 2013 at 1:50AM     
charleee
You might look at Benjamin Moore's Revere Pewter, in an eggshell finish. This paint actually changes color depending on the light. It can go from gray to green to beige.
February 15, 2013 at 2:53AM     
PRO
BM Mid East
first, what gorgeous tile!
I would love to see a snap of your kitchen.
But with just this image of your tile...
I suggest something like Benjamin Moore picnic basket, sea glass, sagebrush, or maybe even flora.
take your tile sample and photo of you space to your local Benjamin Moore store for help or call in a color consultant...he/she shouldn't charge you much for a quick-in 1-color pick. Good Luck and keep us posted!
February 15, 2013 at 3:13AM   
rinqreation
Farrow&Ball's 266Mizzle, 91BlueGray, 25Pigeon, 11StoneGreen, 206GreenGround, 234VertDeTerre? Loving the tiles! And the colors! http://eu.farrow-ball.com/colours/paint/fcp-category/list?resetFilters=true
February 15, 2013 at 3:22AM   
olldroo
BOBBEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Sorry ASV, I beg to differ on the shoe box idea, cardboard will absorb the paint differently to a wall, even timber takes paint differently so it can change colour when it is on the wall. I do like the shade you have chosen though, I think it would look very elegant with the tile and with the white bench top the room would look lovely and clean and fresh. I love browns and blues together too.

My tried and true method of choosing paint is to take, in this instance your tiles, to the paint shop and pick up all the colour chips that look promising colours. I even pick up two or three if I can to make a bigger chip. Tape them up on your walls, keep the tiles nearby, and check them at all times of the day and in all light. When you have narrowed it down, buy two or three different sample pots and paint a patch on your walls - do 2 coats too to get the colour properly - and then give yourself an extra couple of days checking them out. I always find after that, the right colour really stands out for me and I have never been disappointed with colour yet.

However, Cooper, if you really like the shade on the wall now, why not try to match that with some chips - why change? If your kitchen doesn't get a lot of light, blues, greys or grey/green could make it look cold and dull. Only you can decide that.

I would not recommend you darken your floors - the darker they are the more fluff and dust they show.
February 15, 2013 at 4:14AM     
michigammemom
Take a look at Benjamin Moore's Camouflage.
February 15, 2013 at 5:04AM   
handymam
olldroo, your tried and true method of paint selection is the same as mine. It is important to see how the colors look throughout the day and into the night with the lights on. Paint selection does take some time therefore, and I don't rush into it. I am usually satisfied with my selections when done this way.
February 15, 2013 at 5:15AM     
rinqreation
Same here. When people are in doubt I sell them the smallest can and a piece of hardboard or drywall and tell them to paint it at least two layers and keep it on their wall of choice for a few days. (I work at a DIY and deco store)
February 15, 2013 at 5:30AM     
PRO
ASVInteriors
Olldroo - I don't disagree with your method at all!

However, sometimes the paint chips are quite small and it really is different if you have a larger surface. I should have stated that I use shoeboxes with white interiors - but still you are right it won't give the exact rendition as the surface of the wall.

I find that many clients don't want to commit to rinqreation's solution for 3 or more different colours. To do it perfectly, I would start with your method, then narrow my paints down to 2-3 and then, following on from rinqreation, invest in 4 pieces of hardboard (per sample) - painted and taped up on each wall; it is amazing how much paint does change and what comes out after it has fully dried.
February 15, 2013 at 6:24AM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
If you like the green color try a 1/2 tone of it. That way you get the color but it is brighter.
February 15, 2013 at 6:28AM     
olldroo
ASV - I'm naughty, I go around a few stores picking up a couple of samples of each colour in each and then stick them all together to make a decent sized chip.
February 15, 2013 at 3:07PM     
PRO
ASVInteriors
Roo! Naughty .... But clever!
February 15, 2013 at 3:17PM     
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Roo, you probably have some of my chip books too! I hit the finish on a job with 4-6 color decks and somehow at the end of the next job I have maybe one!
February 15, 2013 at 7:22PM   
olldroo
Dave, Moi???? My arms aren't that long.
February 15, 2013 at 7:31PM   
judianna20
Describe the color of the tiles a bit more, please? Are they a color, or true glass (which has a bluish tone to it). I ask because this is what I did today, as roo and bobbi know. And I spent a lot of time doing it. The color I picked to go with the tile was BM Grey Cashmere…a winner. It is grey, but it is not, it is blue, but not, it is green, but not. You may love it, as it will change for you all the time.

February 15, 2013 at 7:36PM   
olldroo
Judy, that room looks gorgeous, did you choose the rug?
February 15, 2013 at 8:32PM   
weeboomoma
This is where I always default to buying small testers of several colors. Then, I paint a couple different areas in the room, to see how the color changes in the light. Sometimes, I see immediately whether I like or dislike a color, sometimes it takes longer. When I decide I dislike a color, I paint it over with one of the colors I prefer, to give it more room to grow on me. The color we have in our living and kitchen took me about a week to choose, and it ended up being a darker color I wasn't originally sure about; but we love it!
February 16, 2013 at 7:12AM     
Camille Sita
thank you for all of your great ideas. here is a picture of my kitchen as is with the 'green' paint I need to change. As I mentioned initially, it looks OK in the photo?
February 16, 2013 at 3:04PM     
laurabennett1
Where did you purchase the tile? I like it!
February 16, 2013 at 3:11PM   
olldroo
Nice green, but definitely not with your new tiles. Go for the blue/grey as Judy suggested, you look to have a lot of light in your room and it should look very calm, fresh and clean. Do get a sample pot or three and test it out first.
February 16, 2013 at 3:14PM   
Camille Sita
I'm trying to add another picture view because the one I have with the cupboards already posted does not show above the cupboards which is where the paint is 'clashing' with the tile below
February 16, 2013 at 3:14PM   
olldroo
So they are your new tiles on the wall now?? Colour is being naughty, they are coming up very green but agree the wall is not quite the right green. We aren't really going to be able to help much more with exact colours when they don't reproduce on computer. You know from this you could have the choice of blue or green but only seeing actual colours will help now. Just try to colours first to be sure.
February 16, 2013 at 3:42PM   
Camille Sita
geez, I don't know how to reply to your question so where it shows up, sorry. The tyles are from Olympia tile but I can give you an adress for on line. .IYes, something is being naughty because I took everyones advice on here today and wnent an picked up all samples and I'm still ??????????????? I'm learning towards BM 'sea glass'. I was only able to pick up BM because the other is not avalaible in canada. I think the sea glass keeps it away from all the other kitches with taupe and green and dark cupboards. It really makes the stainless steal stand out is what I like, even though it's not close to the color. I can't put my finger on it, what's different, but I think it will give the kitchen a different look.. This is an old house and so it will really stand out I think. thanks to whomever suggested that !!!
February 16, 2013 at 9:32PM   
Camille Sita
sorry, are you familiar with the color...what do you think? it's not grey or blue or light or common.
February 16, 2013 at 9:34PM   
olldroo
Sorry, cooper, I can't help you, we don't have BM paints and neither the paint nor the tiles seem to be preproducing correctly here so it makes it very difficult. This is your kitchen and you are the one living with it, so really the final choice comes down to what you feel happiest with, don't let other people influence you.
February 17, 2013 at 12:09AM     
Leigh Hendry
Restoration Hardware has fabulous paint colors.....look at the Silver Sage Collection or the Bay Laurel collection.....either might work for you. You can buy their fan deck for $10.
February 17, 2013 at 2:18AM   
ltllefty
Couldn't you take one of the tiles and have it color matched?
February 22, 2013 at 8:02AM   
Nani Garrison
Consider not 'matching' the tiles, but finding a color that compliments them so they stand out more. Like a nice version of BM's Camouflage as suggested above. Maybe a Vanilla or cream color-
February 22, 2013 at 10:40AM   
More Discussions
What color should I be?
I found this free Armoire and I am considering painting...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
Gray Sofas - Need paint & Rug - HELP PLEASE?
I have new furniture and need recommendations for rug,...
Yea or Nay on Kitchen Cabinet/Island Colors
I'd like to update my kitchen cabinets and island with...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.