Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
help with a small bathroom please
medice
February 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a small bathroom in 1925 American Foursquare. I'd like to update it a bit with slightly modern fixtures. I am concerned that 4" deep wall mount medicine cabinet may look like an eye sore as you see it from the side when entering the bathroom.. I might be over-thinking it..:)
(note the light, medicine cabinet, and faucet will all be finished in chrome).
I looked into floating vanity but installation would be super pricey. Plus, I think pedestal sink is a bit more with the style of the house..
Any input is welcome though. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yvonnecmartin
The problem with a pedestal sink is that it doesn't provide storage. Think about where you will keep extra towels and extra toilet paper?
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 9:45PM
gielliott
I agree that you would have no storage, but you could build some shallow shelves on either side of the sink with a ledge below the mirror and it would give the med cab a built in look and provide storage. I would keep it white and bright, as I would on all the surfaces in a small bath.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 10:12PM
PRO
ASVInteriors
I have recently done a bathroom with the same layout. Are you demolishing everything and starting again? If you can build a small niche in your shower for shampoos and soaps - super useful.
2. For the cabinet, like you the problem was that the visitor would see it side on, immediately as they walked in, I found the IKEA Godmorgen pharmacy cabinet which has a mirrored side (and interiors) worked brilliantly. As it is all mirror, it brings light into the room and makes the room seem longer as the side reflects the tiles that are perpendicular to it.
The problem may be for you that is is quite tall and I don't know what height your room is. Even though it is deeper, the mirror deflects the light (sadly I haven't taken recent photos to show you how effective it is but here is a similar layout to yours). If you have IKEA nearby worth your while take a visit to see for yourself.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 11:58PM
medice
We are not touching the shower at all for now. Just ripping out the floor to put nice tile in and updating fixtures. Toilet area is really deep so I was thinking to either build out a wall behind the toilet to add a door (above the toilet) or just mount a cabinet for the whole width of the space for storage.
This is a first floor bathroom so it will not be used as much as our main bath plus it is near a large walk in pantry so I am not too concerned about the storage.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 4:25AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
Hi there medice
Can you see in the image I posted, I built a false wall over the chassis and created a niche (we needed to add light to room) - You could adapt this idea with a mirror cupboard above yours (In fact, thinking as I type, custom build your niche and slot the Godmorgon cabinet in it!!)
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 4:35AM
france0424
have you thought of putting shelving over the door all along the wall?
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 5:34AM