Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Great wall of nothing...but a tv
bd2020
February 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are in desperate need of ideas for the 2 story wall that also happens to be our only option for the TV placement. Eventually we would like to add wood trim around
the windows and finish the stone from the fireplace all the way up to the ceiling but it would depend on the cost of addressing the TV wall. Only thought we have is built-in (how high should we go?) with cabinets below shelves above and a tv spot but its $$$. Any other options/thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Similar problem/ project of mine. This room had 20 ft ceilings:
February 14, 2013 at 8:30PM     
Darzy
A cost effective option would be to frame out pretty wallpaper, or grasscloth wallpaper above the tv, and also a complementary effect above the FP. Low bookcases (two or three) below the tv for storage and seating.

February 14, 2013 at 8:36PM     
kulwicki1
Definitely budget for the stone fireplace to go up higher. That will transform the room. Then for the tv wall, go to Ikea's website. Check out the tv/media furniture. There are several that would look good on that wall and give you storage as well. Very affordable.
February 14, 2013 at 8:39PM     
bd2020
Agreed...great job! How would you handle the tv? Encase it like you did the artwork? How was the small bump out created? Thanks!
February 14, 2013 at 8:42PM   
PRO
JWinteriors
Couldn't you relocate TV above mantle, then swing the sectional around so that it is on long wall and into the room. Adding 3 wrapped canvas art on the wall avoiding speakers. Add end tables and coffee table..anchor it with an 8 x 10 area rug. Add floor to ceiling linen panels, which will soften the room and keep you from having to frame windows. Use large, bronze hardware with rings..taking it about 10"beyond window to keep from covering too much glass. When you redo above fireplace..give yourself a more substantial wood mantle for displayed items. Good luck!
February 14, 2013 at 8:42PM   
bd2020
I like the tv above the fireplace thought but it's rather high with the raised hearth pushing everything up and the couch would only be 15 feet or so away but we need to look at this again because these ideas make a lot of sense. Thanks!
February 14, 2013 at 8:50PM     
PRO
JWinteriors
Here's a window panel option
February 14, 2013 at 8:50PM   
PRO
JWinteriors
Here is a TV over the fireplace look...all focus goes to one area.
February 14, 2013 at 9:02PM     
bd2020
We love the large window panels...we had some neighbors pay $1000+ just for the curtains. It's $500 to trim the windows. Are we missing a more economical curtain?
February 14, 2013 at 9:02PM   
bd2020
Yeah we need to consider moving the tv, this looks great!
February 14, 2013 at 9:04PM   
hollyskog
Putting a piece of furniture under the tv like a console or buffet and a cool long shelf above might work
February 14, 2013 at 9:14PM   
hollyskog
I can see a cool primitive piece under tv. I think might look good with brick fireplace. It could be cheaper and less mess.
February 14, 2013 at 9:16PM   
PRO
Welcome Home designs
A TV above the fireplace is fine when you don't have anywhere else to put it but I see a blank wall that would be great for a built in as shown in the attached picture.
This way you can build up your fireplace to make it a grand focal point of your room.

February 14, 2013 at 9:30PM   
gielliott
The cheapest option to give the TV wall some definition is paint. If you painted it a great color up to about the point between the two windows nearby, and ran a nice band of trim all around the room from the fireplace wall, between the windows and over the TV area that would ground the room and give it some architectural interest. Then you could concentrate on some built ins around the tv from that point down. But just doing the trim and paint for now would be very economical and then you could add cabinetry and shelving later. I am on a tight budget too so hope this helps!
February 14, 2013 at 9:38PM     
PRO
JWinteriors
7 yards per panel x 4 = 28 yards of fabric to purchase. Purchase fabric in the $10 per yard category and you will have spent $280. Get out the ironing board...with fuse tape you can iron your way through each panel in about 2 hours. Once panels are done, mount with rings and clips. Affordable drama well within your budget.
February 14, 2013 at 9:50PM   
gielliott
Yikes I think curtains on that odd little corner with the windows would look , well, odd. I would leave them bare and do some bands of trim. The room has no trim details and is screaming for something. If you wanted to mimic the look of CMR Interiors panels you could use just trim and paint and a ledge at the top for the same effect with a lot less money and work.
February 14, 2013 at 10:25PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.