Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Help with Small Living Room
mmpmpls
February 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Just added new wood flooring and new rug. Trying to make this room look more "finished". Any suggestions for colors, furniture arrangement, accessories, art, curtains, etc.? The photo of the curtain is an option. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Centsible Designs, LLC
Hi - Just a few of comments... Even though you say this is a small room, I think there are too many little pieces in here. Believe it or not, larger furniture (within reason) will make the room feel larger too.
I would replace the tables on either side of the sofa with larger, round, matching sides and beautiful solid lamps (like a ginger jar) in the accent color of your choice. The coffee table could bit a bit longer too, which could make it serviceable to the side chairs and you could do away with the tiny table between the two accent chairs. Finally, I can tell you love color and an eclectic mix, which is great, but for a small space there are too many things going on here - pick a couple of accent colors only, then use them for your pillows, throws and lamps for more unified look. I agree with the neutral choice for the window coverings. Hope this helps - have fun!
February 15, 2013 at 5:50am     
michigammemom
I would stick with a solid neutral curtain panel due to the existing patterns in your pretty rug and upholstery. I also prefer the turquoise color of your throw to be repeated in accent pillows as opposed to the bright red.
February 15, 2013 at 5:53am     
toni1959
Congrats on the floors! There are a few things you need to remove from the space, coffee table, round glass end table, standing lamp. Place the two matching chairs on opposite side where large chair is. Place large chair near window to face TV. The tall end table in opposite corner with lamp. The only things I would purchase new is a rectangle coffee table and new wall art, instead of two prints purchase three on a smaller scale. How about no drapes or panels with a heavier gauge?
February 15, 2013 at 5:57am   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I like the curtain, is a new coffee table out of the budget? If not I would get a larger one and bring the two smaller chairs closer into the conversation area.
February 15, 2013 at 6:00am   
mmpmpls
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I was trying to add more color to the room with the pillows, but sounds like they're too much. What accent colors would work best? Only turquoise? For a coffee table and end tables, what type of material and color would you suggest? Wood, metal, glass? Also, the curtains I was thinking of adding are a soft green and tan, I guess a solid fabric would be better. Appreciate the help!
February 15, 2013 at 6:24am   
AMN
I like the turquoise best for the accent color. It jibes nicely with the green.
I like the color of the piece that the green lamp is sitting on in the corner to the left of the couch. I'd look for a coffee table in that color.
February 15, 2013 at 6:39am