Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help I want to creat an open concept
marybraue
February 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I want to creat a open concept open up my living room tot family room. I have 20k I live in south NJ I want hard wood floors or nice sub my husband will get his round sound flat screen tv. I was to up date the fire place in the least expensive way. It works wood burning here are photos the last is the living room we never use. HELP. I need ideas.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thethistle
As for the fireplace, paint it. You can't remove walls without knowing if it's a supporting wall or not. You should probably hire a contractor if you're going to remove a wall.

0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 7:10AM
PRO
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
It is difficult to suggest how to open concept your existing floorplan without a sketch a layout of the liiving room and family room. Can you provide?
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 7:20AM
handymam
You could reface (not replace) the fireplace with stacked stone. Amazing new product at Lowe's I am going to try on my own fireplace that looks just like yours. It's about $50 a box. It is DIY too.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 7:23AM
marybraue
What color would you do to the fireplace
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 2:18PM
PRO
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
Hi Mary Braue,

I am not the one who suggested paint the fireplace, but from the picture I can tell you they meant white. And, for the most part I would agree. Actually my fireplace is white and Iike it. It enhances the nice texture. However there are people that have good luck sponging/painting the brick. It is a lot hit and/or miss so you would need to somehow practice on how you would do that.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 6:02PM
Keitha
I agree with thethistle about the painted fireplace. Try to corral the TV and electronics in one cohesive unit that hides the unsightly components and you will be off to a good start!
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 6:19PM
PRO
Eagledzines
Here is the sketch showing the layout that marybraue provided in another post.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 7:41PM
PRO
Eagledzines
If you were to open up the two rooms, it looks like you have plenty of space to put the piano kitty-corner in a corner. The white cabinet would compliment a painted white fireplace nicely. Perhaps you could put your husband's electronics in there near the TV? If the wall between the two rooms is a bearing wall, you still might be able to open it up by making a large opening between the two rooms. You wold still need a contractor because you would be looking at moving wiring as well and would have to make sure there wasn't any plumbing or ducting in that wall that needed to be moved. I would get an estimate on having the floors done (and finished) before going to far so you would know how much left you have in the budget to change the wall. If you want to stick with the warm colors, the flooring would help you do that. If you could open up the wall between the rooms, I would paint them both the same color.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 8:04PM
marybraue
Thank you for your ideas And the time you spend helping me. I do have a contractor He made the all white cabinets And I did think about putting them next to the fireplace. You confirm my idea. My husband and I have agreed on the flat screen TV. He has agreed on downsizing the style of his stereo , But insist on the around sound whatever that is. I don't know why he wants to keep the piano no one can play it or is interested in playing it. He just likes it. So I do have to incorporate that in my design plan. Thank you so much for all your help. Now I can get to work. Would you suggest a place like lumber liquidators to come in and laid the flooring ? This is another dumb question do you know how to put your photograph on the site for people know what I look like. Thanks again
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 8:07AM
PRO
Lumber Liquidators
Hi marybraue, if there is a Lumber Liquidators store near your, someone who works there can recommend an installer for you. Hope this helps!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 12:47PM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would replace the vertical blinds with Ripplefold sheers it will look alot more updated and modern.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 12:51PM
PRO
Matt Patterson Custom Homes
skin the fp in travertine. Much prettier than paint
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 12:54PM