powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Can an open shelving kitchen work in a rental in Florida?
akjones
February 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Just about to start a biggie reno in vacay rental in Florida. Trying to save money where we can. Can this open plan kitchen work with open shelving?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michigammemom
Since this is a rental I would nix the open shelving. It's difficult to display cabinet contents attractively even for a design savvy homeowner.
3 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 7:16AM
PRO
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
I completely agree with michigammemom. And it is a trend to boot, so someday, you will probably want those cabinets back. But if you are totally intent on it, I would start by removing cabinet to right of window and install floating shelves. Keep it small in scale as open shelves are more subject to dust and kitchen grime and grease etc than closed cupboards. Probably why people have opted for cupboards over the years.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 7:25AM
charleee
I wanted open shelving in my kitchen, but I was afraid to take the cabinets down not knowing what I'd find behind them. So I opted to remove the doors, putty over the hinge holes and paint the insides a pretty blue (Behr light denim). I love it!
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 7:34AM
PRO
Dytecture
I would leave the cabinets are they are, perhaps update the wall color. A potential spot for open shelving might be at the end of the kitchen where the lamp is in the photo.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 7:44AM
ikwewe
Since it is a rental, I would leave the cupboards as they are. You want to make it attractive for as many people as possible to get good tenants, and lots of people don't like the hassle of open shelves. There IS room for some shelving to the right of the cupboard on the right side of the sink, and it is more out of the way of the kitchen grime makers over there. You could add one or two floating shelves there.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 7:52AM
akjones
Thanks all, that's what I thought, I'm renting this home out by the week so there's not alot of "stuff" that i have in my own home and all the dishes and servers are white so I thought I might be able to make it work. I hear you, though, perhaps it's not the best idea.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 8:21AM
nononanna
At first I was going to say try it with one side or the other, but the more I look at your kitchen, I think it's all or nothing. So nothing is better...
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 8:25AM
trebinje
I actually think your rent-by-the-week scenario could lend itself to open shelving. Most weekly rental properties provide just a few basic kitchen items - one set of dinnerware, flatware, glasses/cups, utensils, a few pots & pans. You don't need to stock pantry items. So, I think your idea could work well in this kitchen.

No one is NOT going to rent your place for a week because it doesn't have closed cupboards in the kitchen, and they might appreciate open shelving because it adds to the casual/breezy vibe they're likely hoping for while on vacation.

You may want to keep one closed cupboard with a lock for your owner's kitchen items.
2 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 8:39AM
luckey85
Open shelving on top for dishes, glassware and serving dishes, closed cupboards below counter for pots and pans is a great idea for a vacation rental. The guests can find items quickly at a glance and it will give the kitchen a more spacious feeling.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 8:54AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I would consider doing them in my home but would never do it in a rental. May renters are not the type that would be able to keep open shelves looking good. I feel because of that you would have potential renter looking elsewhere.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 9:07AM
decoenthusiaste
As a vacation rental manager, I would keep them closed. People look for evidence of cleanliness and most housekeepers would not want to dust and clean the open shelves and contents well enough to get the "white gloves" OK that some guests expect. If you are not planning to do all the booking yourself and would like to contact me, I'd be glad to consider you as a client.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 9:38AM
PRO
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
Also, you never know when for whatever reason you might want to change the use of this home. Say to long term rental. If that happened you would have to put cabinets back in.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 11:36AM