February 15, 2013 at 7:59am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Jayme H.
pic
February 15, 2013 at 8:16am     
PRO
Tami Jones Interior Design
I agree a pop of color is needed and the rug would be a great place to bring that in. Mixing patterns is perfectly fine - I would be careful about a floral, but a coral like the one suggested above could be fun. One thing that you want to also consider is the art that will go in the room - it doesn't need to "match" but if it pushes your color palet one direction, you wouldn't want the rug to go in the completely opposite direction. Good Luck!
February 15, 2013 at 8:20am     
Jayme H.
Are u planning draperies?
February 15, 2013 at 8:22am     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I do think mixing patterns is OK. It is however a difficult thing to get the correct balance. You do need color. A bold pattern on the floor with with smaller ones in pillows on the sofa. A stripe sewn in a pattern that creates a square. This is done by using 4 triangles matched together. The put a solid pillow behind those.
February 15, 2013 at 8:23am     
PRO
The Home Beautiful
If you'd like to keep the modern style with stream lines going, go with a solid plush area rug which will add a texture for pop. You could also soften the room with some organic shapes in a pattern. As long as your pattern is much larger or smaller than the existing patterns. You can absolutely mix patterns! The wall behind the couch would could also add some life to the room as an accent wall.
Check out www.owrugs.com for some beautiful and well priced options. If you have any questions give us a call for free professional design assistance.

Thanks and good luck!

Jadi at The Home Beautiful (603)524-5588
February 15, 2013 at 8:57am   
decoenthusiaste
Would like to see linen drapery panels in similar in tone to one of your chair fabric colors. Shop for rugs by color at homedecorators.com. Orange or teal can work.. I'm not feeling your furniture arrangement, especially considering the location of the door. Would you care to post additional angles of the room for a bit more input from Houzzers?
February 15, 2013 at 9:09am     
February 15, 2013 at 9:22am   
February 15, 2013 at 9:25am   
PRO
Garuda Woven Art Rugs
A splash of color--like red or plum could be pretty.
February 15, 2013 at 9:29am     
PRO
Egoist Design
I would go for a more sublte patter, yet, with a pop of color. Given the existing furniture in your space, it would work with variety of choises when it comes to bright, intense colors. Adding window coverings that would have the same color as the area rug is a good idea. It will balace the space and make it look well thought through. Good luck!
February 15, 2013 at 9:46am     
Sunday
I am planning curtains, I was thinking a linen blend. I think I made a big and expensive mistake when I picked the patten. It seems too big for the chairs.
February 15, 2013 at 12:48pm   
Norma Sassone
I love your fabric on the chairs - bigger is better! I like the rugs that bring out one of the colors in the pattern, especially the red. I'd go for Roman shades in off-white linen and some throw cushions on the sofa in perhaps a red and blue stripe.
February 15, 2013 at 1:00pm