powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help! Round or Rectangular coffee table?
clennon38
February 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Can decide if I should put a rectangular leather ottoman or a round coffee table?
Sofa is gray & we have a brown leather chair already. Is this too much leather
Can you hand drapes here even though they end up behind the couch was think of a geometric panel.
I think we might need a rug?

Any suggestions welcomed.
Thank you
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
AMN
The ottoman pictured appears to be square, not rectangle. I would go with round if those are your narrowed-down choices.

Slender rectangle would be ok, but not square in this case. It would create too tight of a cluster. Round will provide some needed soft lines.
February 15, 2013 at 7:23am     
PRO
Fringes Rugs
To add extra warmth to the room go for a shaggy rug!

If you're after something more stylish or fashionable then we have a great range of Designer and Modern Rugs.

Regards,

Fringes.
February 15, 2013 at 7:28am     
PRO
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
I think it is pretty much six of one and half a dozen of the other. I like the round as you have an awful lot of square corners, but for getting really comfortable you can not beat the square ottoman. But if I did that I would have one covered in a flat weave patterned rug, so that it isn't all so dark.
February 15, 2013 at 7:30am     
goldmanjen
Where is your sectional from? I like the size. Thanks!
February 15, 2013 at 7:30am   
PRO
ASVInteriors
I note that the TV is the focal point of this room. So go with the pragmatic, you want a place to put your feet - ottoman! I agree with Mary Poulos though about the dark colour - it will be too heavy. You need to add some variety so that the dark colour doesn't overwhelm.
February 15, 2013 at 7:32am   
charleee
The picture I'm looking at doesn't show your sofa as gray but I'll take your word for it! Here are a couple of ottoman suggestions for you: [houzz=Ikat Storage Ottoman]
[houzz=Reims Grey Storage Ottoman]
[houzz=Essex Printed Ottoman, Platinum]
[houzz=Emma Tufted Storage Ottoman, Charcoal]
February 15, 2013 at 7:48am     
clennon38
Sofa is from Raymour & Flanaigan
February 15, 2013 at 11:17am   
zenhome
A round coffee table would soften the sharp lines.
February 15, 2013 at 11:26am     
PRO
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I would go with a blend of both.....a round ottoman! You could definitely add curtains even if they're behind the couch as long as the fabric isn't dark.
February 15, 2013 at 11:33am     
carolins
It seems a shame to cover that beautiful floor up with a rug. But if you want the warmth... a light coloured one would be nice. But it has to be as big as possible, so go under the sectional.

If you search living rooms on houzz and type in: sectional sofa in the search box, you'll get plenty of ideas to see what effect a round or a square table has. Also gives you an idea for the size.

Another, totally different idea is to choose three different round side-tables and combine them.

Martini Side Table | West Elm
Medium Wood Block Side Table
http://www.westelm.com/products/branch-side-table-g728/?pkey=ccoffee-side-tables&cm_src=coffee-side-tables||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

Love the sectional and the fact that you went for a leather chair to go with it :-)
February 15, 2013 at 12:30pm     
decoenthusiaste
Round, but glass so the beautiful floor shows through. Prefer some color in drapery.

February 15, 2013 at 1:26pm     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Room needs color & pattern, large art, fabric, colorful, print pillows on furniture, rug. I agree, a round fabric/rug ottoman for comfort and style.
February 15, 2013 at 1:52pm   
judianna20
I like this and think it would look great with the leather chair. Topped with a big tray and coordinating window treatments and pillows, the room would start to come together. I like your floors a lot. See what fabric in the room does for the decor before you buy a rug. If you chose this fabric, I would repaint the walls to match the creamy white background.
Tribal Carved Coffee Table
Mill Creek Crazy Ol Bird Sunrise
February 15, 2013 at 2:01pm     
charleee
Judy, I like that fabric!
February 15, 2013 at 3:06pm   
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
the ottoman looks a bit too heavy - round table looks better:))) ( nice floors you have)
February 15, 2013 at 6:46pm   
PRO
Design Within Reach
Hi clennon38,

You have a great space! I think in order to relieve some of the heavy, boxy furniture in your room, you should add a round and airy coffee table. The best choice for this arrangement would be something with thinner legs and a glass or marble top. This will create a balance in the room instead of competing with the heavy furniture.

Also, I think that a woven neutral colored rug would look beautiful. This would also contribute to the balance of the room while making it even cozier than it already looks.

I have created a 3D picture of your space with these new elements. Find it here -http://dwr.mydeco.com/3d-design/design-dilemma/4178814/

Hope this helps!

Best,
Jill@DWR
February 19, 2013 at 8:16am     
clennon38
Thank you this helps alot ! Love the idea of lamp in the corner.
February 21, 2013 at 8:25am   
clennon38
@judyg love this fabric!
February 21, 2013 at 8:27am