powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I'm 15 and need to redecorate my bedroom.
imagine_galaxy
February 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a wall of fixed cabinets which take up alot of room and cannot come down. My room is very small. I have a big bed the is a bench type one that fits only one wall so it must stay pposit the cabinets. the cabinets also have a desk in there and a mirror.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AMN
Can you retake the photos when you get a chance, please?
Be sure to hold perfectly still when you snap each pic.

Do you want to keep all, some, or none of your posters?

Are you allowed to paint?

What are your favorite colors?

How do you want to feel when you're in this room?

What are your favorite fashion styles? Sometimes fashion is a great starting point for interior decorating.
2 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 7:29AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
My daughter is 16 and despite all my design efforts, her room looks a lot like yours! I think you have masses of storage space and that is a good thing. I feel you could do with less clutter (and I am not saying no clutter!)
For example, you have an open shelf by the door - could you hang a fabric panel that hides it but adds colour to the room
Could your organize your posters better? Buying big frames and then putting them haphazardly in them will release some wall space for any paint or wallpaper you eventually put
You have a lot going on visually - you need to find a way to streamline some of your colours and bring down the colours to a colour band (I see black and white, pink, and blue and turquoise)
If you want you can wallpaper the insides of your shelf unit to your eventual colour but I would try to choose a favourite colour or theme - find two elements and stick to them strictly. Anything else hide in baskets or behind panels
Best of luck with your fun project!
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 8:01AM
minoomajlessi
A BIGER SHELF OR COABOARDS WITH ALTS OF SAMALL BOXES WITH DCOVER FOR ORGANIZING THINS AT LLEAST AND ASMALL TAG ON EVERY SMALL BOX , AT LEAST
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 8:10AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I have to admit I'm much better at guys bedrooms. I don't know if you can live without all that clutter of pictures and misc. stuff. If you can just by removing all but a few of those things the room will look bigger. The shelves also need to be edited by removing all but the most important pieces. I would then add some nice clean lined pieces. Possibly a small round table that you can use as a night stand. This painted a high gloss white would look cool.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 8:17AM
decoenthusiaste
Why don't you take down all the posters/pictures, clean out everything from pillows to purses, and look at your room with new eyes? As you're removing stuff, have two boxes for it - one box labeled "Love It" and one labeled "Hate It." You might be surprised at how much stuff ends up in the hate it box. That's why you're feeling the need to redecorate, right? You're prolly outgrowing some of it. Then paint the room a light pastel shade of your most favorite color. The paint chip for that color should have other shades of that color too. Pick your favorite dark one from it and paint the backs of your shelf system. Then go shopping! First, make a list of the items in the "Love It" box and take pics of them to reference when you're shopping. Only buy things that look good with what you already have and love. Put your shelves back together doing 1/3 open space, 1/3 books, 1/3 your decor stuff. You may have new bedding by this time, so add that. Once you're done, ask your parents if they'd buy you a new ceiling light to really top it off. Have fun!
Chelsea Teen's room & bath
Teenage Drama
Window seat/reading nook at end of stair hallway
March of Dimes Showhouse
5 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 8:31AM
jjandhk
do I see a future designer here? :)
I will post a couple photos from google/images to give you a few ideas.
The first thing designers usually say is remove EVERYTHING from the room that is not nailed down. (You may have to get your family's cooperation with this)
2nd: determine what furniture you really need in this space...(It sounds like you already know this)...your bed, shelves, desk, mirror. chair; and leave that--or try it in a different place.
3rd: Determine what you can change: eg. paint on the walls, shelves, woodwork etc; curtains; flooring; bedding.
4th: choose a colour scheme.
5th: Tackle the larger projects first: eg. paint the walls, woodwork, trim; make or purchase new curtains, bedding, rugs. (The designers here can help you to decide where the put the colours you choose).
6. After these big projects are done, you can ask the designers here again for help with art, photos, accessories, storage.
You've got lots of possibilities for your room--you can let your imagination fly!
2 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 8:49AM
imagine_galaxy
Thankyou everybody for the feedback. jjdesignkloos Yes! I am an aspiring interior artist. Okey I'm going to declutter and sort all my stuff into love it and hate it boxes. Thankyou again! XoXo
2 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 9:38AM
More Discussions
Design Direction help needed!
Hello! We recently purchased this house on a lake,...
At a loss - What to do with the front of my house?
Houzzers, I'm on a new mission to upgrade the front...
Renew the living room
Hello everybody, plz i need a very quick advice about...
Tile surfaces
Can you incorporate a natural rough stone as an accent...
Hardwood High Desert
I live in Sierra Vista Arizona high desert 4800 elevation....
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.