Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help decorating built-in master bedroom shelving
rebeccaamerica
February 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Need help decorating master bedroom shelves without using books or knickknacks.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
groveraxle
That is just odd. I would remove it, patch the wall, and hang art.
February 15, 2013 at 9:54am     
decoenthusiaste
Useless unless you're bedridden and need a place to store all your meds conveniently. Remove!
February 15, 2013 at 9:55am     
rebeccaamerica
lol, and the funny thing is that there is another one exactly like it on the other side of the dormer window! Ugh. I don't really want the expense and mess of of removing them, but sadly you may be correct. Thanks
February 15, 2013 at 10:18am   
Norma Sassone
They really are kinda wierd, buuuuuut - maybe if you took out the shelf and put light in at the top of each. you could use thm more as a "niche" rather than shelf to display sculpture or a ceramic vase or maybe two matching Murano glass vases. You could paint the interior of the niches a contrasting color. Also the molding on the perimiter needs to come off, so the niches would be flush with the wall.
February 15, 2013 at 12:40pm     
groveraxle
Removing them shouldn't be that big a deal. It could even be a diy project; the hardest part is handling the drywall, but I think at the big box stores you can buy a quarter sheet. You were wanting to paint the room anyway, right? ;-)
February 15, 2013 at 12:40pm   
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
If you need it there than still paint it. Its odd as a focal point. If you don't need it, definitely remove it
February 15, 2013 at 12:52pm     
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
paint it the same color as the wall if you need it there....
February 15, 2013 at 12:55pm     
cwalbrun19
A fish tank! Just kidding :-)

Seriously though, I think I would consider covering the back with an accent fabric to go with my decor. Then I might add hooks to hang my favorite jewelry. I'm not sure. I would definatly try to find a way to make it look purposeful and architetural, since it is a bit akward otherwise. Of course you could just put several picture frames there and call it a day, but I still think color would make it a really interesting space.
February 15, 2013 at 1:00pm   
Becky
~Pull the shelf out, mirror the back and set candles on the base. Pretty lit up at night. Paint the trim a wood tone like the bed or just remove the trim and paint the sides the same as the wall color.
~Paint a faux mural in the back like a window scene looking out.
~Add a light in the top center and highlight a painting or object d'art like suggested above.
~You can always make it bigger if it made more sense to use it as a niche.
~Easy out: remove the trim & hang a picture or mirror over the opening. Now, you have hidden storage for your valuables.
February 15, 2013 at 1:05pm     
yvonnecmartin
Family photos are great in a bedroom. Alternatively, you could find a big painting, poster, or quilt and cover up the whole thing without the bother of actually removing it. I hope that maybe you have an antique quilt that is too precious to use on a bed--otherwise you can buy interesting ones on line, especially from Amish women.
February 15, 2013 at 1:08pm   
PRO
The Creative Man
Hi, First maybe paint of line the back walls of the shelf with color or a pattern. Then, display a grouping of either something you collect or decorative items that make a statement together.
February 15, 2013 at 2:06pm   
judianna20
Are the two exactly opposite each other?

Is that the foot of the bed?

If you moved the dresser in front of it and found a wide mirror which you could lean, would that cover it?

Or paint the back of it the wall color and do what I do when I don't know what to do; get some hardcover books and good white wrapping paper and cover them. Instant little library.

February 15, 2013 at 2:23pm   
rebeccaamerica
I really appreciate all of your suggestions! I've been struggling with it, and am sort of glad to know there isn't a simple solution. Makes me feel a little better about my (limited) decorating abilities. The fact that there are 2 of them is really annoying.
February 15, 2013 at 2:25pm   
rebeccaamerica
I'll post a better picture. This is a dormer/attic bedroom with many angled walls. The 2 shelves flank the (dormer) window in the photo, on the right and left. The wall they are on is only about 4 feet tall, and you can see the bed post of the foot of the bed.
February 15, 2013 at 2:39pm   
peetsoo
black and white family photos in frames of varying sizes?
February 15, 2013 at 6:15pm   
PRO
Misty Doherty
I would use it to display my bracelets and paint the background, use a decal.
February 15, 2013 at 6:27pm     
reilii
you can install magnificent doors with medieval lock and key that lead to a secret hideaway....
February 15, 2013 at 9:17pm   
inabunker
I really don't see why you have to remove them. How about painting them out in a darker color, removing the shelving and then putting a large display item, painting, or something in there with a light inside the the top of the frame. I think it would look great.
February 16, 2013 at 8:05am   
Rachelle Plantagenet
I think they are great. Its always nice to have somewhere to store extra books or to put little decorative objects like a nice candle etc. Since you have two of them i would have one for decoration and take the frame off the other, place some artwork over it and hide little nick nacks or jewellery behind it- it can be your little secret compartment.... ;)
February 16, 2013 at 12:37pm     
PRO
Faux Home
I agree with the comments about leaving them, but removing the shelving. I would also paint them, and you can use a color that is on the same color swatch...either lighter or darker would work. I think that might look better than painting a strong focal color which brings more attention to them. Then place a combination of artwork, books or photos in them...very tasteful:)
February 16, 2013 at 2:21pm     
nin012
I actually love them - gives the room charm. I'd do as others suggested - remove shelving and add interest to the back of built-ins...think charming wallpaper, bead-board, a stenciled design, or just a complimentary color. Add back in things you love and it'll be something that makes you smile :)
February 17, 2013 at 9:22am     
Don Or Janet Cook
I think the reason you don't like them is because they "pop". I agree with painting them out and then use to display interesting things that you love. Mementos of vacations, a collection of some things that are similar etc. I like the feature.
Good luck.
February 17, 2013 at 6:33pm   
Robyn Eisler
I agree with Norma Sassone's ideas. But don't limit yourself to a vase, photos or flowers. For the lighting you might be will be able to get a battery powered LED fitting to test if you like it.

Rename the shelves to an alcove and put ONE item there.

What about art? It is your bedroom so you can be as daring as you want to be. It is entirely your own personal taste. Do you have a local scuptor you like either near where you live or when you are next on holiday.

On a side note, imho, I wouldn't paint my bedroom walls poo-colored brown, but I do love that corner post on your bed.
February 18, 2013 at 4:34am   
Susanna
I would find cabinets more useful than open shelves so I would hire a carpenter to reframe and hang doors. Then you have useful storage rather than something you're trying hard to call "decor".
February 18, 2013 at 4:52am     
PRO
Tiny Texas Houses
Go to my Tiny Texas Houses website or on the Facebook Tiny Texas Houses site to see 4,000 images of how to maximize a tiny space with Salvaged Materials you can find for nearly free. Just like the houses, the 99% Pure Salvage Living Renaissance offers you solutions to apartment needs that will travel with you to the next place, including the cool lofts and loft ladder/stairs of my own designs available for all to use. Lots of pictures. Nothing better in the world made from other people's trash.
March 10, 2013 at 7:52pm