Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Master Bedroom - Creating More Closet/Storage Space in a Small Room
patricia_wise
February 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Our Master Bedroom is 11' x 17' (BR "B" on the Floor Plan). We need to lose the only closet in order to enlarge the main bath. I would like to add closets along one wall (the long wall with the window) on either side of the window. With a King-size bed, it is going to be close - no more than 30" between the end of the bed and closet, but this seems to be the best solution. Other ideas?

I was thinking that having Japanese Screen-type "barn" doors might be a way of keeping them light and airy - anyone out there try this? Advice? Sources?

Also, I was thinking of making the whole room an Asian theme. Any suggestions for a platform bed with storage underneath?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Kaplan Architects, AIA
I might consider this...
February 15, 2013 at 4:48PM     
a_rainbow
^^Except where does a bed go! I like the above comment as well and now you can put a separate vanity sink outside the one bath where the removed closet is. One sink inside one sink outside. More functional when someone just needs sink but tub is being used. But the windows don't allow for easy placement of a bed! What kind of windows are they? Are both typical egress dimensions or is one a higher clerestory type?
February 15, 2013 at 4:58PM   
Becky
Turn the bed on an angle in the upper left corner.
February 15, 2013 at 5:02PM     
a_rainbow
I thought of that, but she states its a king bed.... The corner void behind bed would be huge?
February 15, 2013 at 5:15PM   
soberg
Make the "powder room" into a closet.
February 15, 2013 at 5:34PM   
patricia_wise
Well, the windows are large sash windows in stone walls so they can't move. And we need more bathrooms, not less, so losing the powder room would create another problem. I tried measuring out the king size bed in the corner and, on one hand, it seems like it would fit rather neatly between the windows but the problem with that is it only leaves 24" between the corner of the bed and the wall, restricting access to the bathroom.
February 15, 2013 at 8:01PM   
a_rainbow
What's budget like?
February 17, 2013 at 11:02PM   
a_rainbow
I mean how much work can be done?
February 17, 2013 at 11:03PM   
patricia_wise
Well, I'm looking for the most bang for the buck. But, I'm not increasing the footprint - I'm committed to making efficient use of my 1953 rancher without knocking out any (more) of the stone walls. I am looking into King-size beds with built-in "dresser" drawers underneath (which probably won't work with the bed in the corner). The house, in general, is low on closet space, so I need to increase it in this room while losing the original closet - which was a pain anyway since it was behind the door.

I've been trying to figure out the Shoji screens to see if I could just build simple closets - with just a 2' wall coming out on both sides of the window and a vanity underneath the window.
February 18, 2013 at 5:40AM   
4isablessing
West elm has a platform bed with storage underneath.
It also has the matching side tables. '
I would put the bed by the wall where the old closet used to be if it fits there. Not by the window.
Good luck with the renovation.
February 18, 2013 at 6:33AM   
mjlb
Kaplan Architect's idea seems perfect to me... ideally with a pocket door into the room, so that the new closet wall is easily accessible. The room would be 11 x 15 -- plenty of space for king bed, altho' it would have to go on a window wall.
February 18, 2013 at 6:52AM   
mjlb
Maybe like this?

Traditional Bedroom design by Atlanta Interior Designer The Belding Group, Inc
February 18, 2013 at 6:54AM   
mjlb
woops - photo didn't work.. I'll try again:
[houzz=
]
February 18, 2013 at 6:55AM   
mjlb
While 11 x 15 is an okay size, I think making the room 9 x 17 is much less workable.
February 18, 2013 at 6:57AM   
PRO
Stephanie Bonini
Sliding doors on wardrobe units can definitely help keep walk-ways clear and would help, as 30" is a very narrow walk way. You'll want to be very conscious of door size and swing if you go with a traditional door.

However I always worry about clients being happy with looking at wardrobe units from their bed. If this is the only option, you might want to consider adding some lighting or decorative glass into the units to give a more serene effect.

If you are going to enlist the help of a pro, California Closets is a great option. We can show you the whole space in 3D and have endless options for materials, colors, lighting and decorative additions. We are also experts at maximizing space with a small footprint in the room, a key component to your dilemma!
Good luck!
February 18, 2013 at 1:15PM