powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Dinning room needs help!! Please, all dine and design LOVERS, Help!!
beautyresulted
February 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a drexel heritage dinning room set, it is vintage and has fabulous curves and is made of solid wood, however two chair backs need replacing and seat covers need spicing up.... I am unsure whether I should invest in fixing chair backs, buffing and waxing table top, painting chairs and or table, or... getting new chairs or whole new set??? I am in need of help, pleeeeease all who enjoy to dine and design, help...
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
ASVInteriors
Have it fixed up then if all else fails, you can sell it and then buy one you like. You love its shape so it does have appeal to you.
February 15, 2013 at 2:45PM     
nasmijati
Have you seen this same set for sale online anywhere? Do you have some idea of its monetary worth?
Is this set inherited from an ancestor? Does it have sentimental value to you?
Once you know the answers to these questions, it will be easier to make a decision.
What are your thoughts?
February 15, 2013 at 3:09PM     
beautyresulted
Thanks, Eztia, Yes!! Funny you ask, I have seen it online,This set, I believe was made around the 50's or 60's
The only thing I could find on this model is that it is called Drexel Bonaventure,sold for $1899 in 1969. So its definitely high quality furniture. It is not inherited nor from a family member. Other than that, I love the curves, and it is very solid, however, I am unsure, soooooo confused whether it is worth investing into it.... I love dinning as a family daily, so I have to ask myself this question daily.. need help... I've seen the chairs painted and reupholstered on this site and they looked amazing!! hmmmmmm....
February 16, 2013 at 1:38PM   
beautyresulted
ASV interior, thanks!! I appreciate your suggestion, not a bad idea!
February 16, 2013 at 1:41PM     
beautyresulted
I believe these chairs are very similar to mine!
February 16, 2013 at 1:52PM   
Ramona
If you love it, why are you hesitating? You can't get the same quality anywhere at that price today. There are many ways to bring it into the 21st century. It is definitely worth investing in as it is well made. Find a fabric you really like and consider refinishing it if you want to. There are endless possibilities for a set like this.
February 16, 2013 at 1:54PM     
beautyresulted
Maybe made around the same time?? this is the idea I had when I purchased this set. Any other suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks to all in advance! : )
February 16, 2013 at 1:55PM   
susanorrirwin
Slipcover those seats, skirted style
February 16, 2013 at 1:56PM     
beautyresulted
Ramona, You are an inspiration!! Thank you, you are right!! Quality is why I bought it, thank you! : D
February 16, 2013 at 1:59PM   
Ramona
Painting the chairs a fun color would really update this set. White is also fine. We can't see the shape of the chairs from your picture. I've seen these tables painted out in a stunning color on HGTV. They look smashing, but I would redo the chairs before I would touch the table.
February 16, 2013 at 2:00PM     
beautyresulted
Susan, thanks, do you think I should leave the wood as is, or paint black or white, maybe?? If I did skirted slipcovers, it would surely be solid, right?/
February 16, 2013 at 2:04PM   
beautyresulted
Susan, I love your suggestions and how you think, thank goodness!! You are fabulous!! Thank you!
= D
February 16, 2013 at 2:07PM   
beautyresulted
I will take closer pictures of chairs! haha!! thanks to all!!
February 16, 2013 at 2:07PM   
beautyresulted
Here they are
February 16, 2013 at 2:32PM   
jthoye
The chairs are not worth dealing with - replace
February 16, 2013 at 2:34PM     
Trish
I think a smaller, round table would be more to scale in that room.
February 16, 2013 at 2:35PM     
beautyresulted
jthoye, thanks, any ideas?
February 16, 2013 at 2:39PM   
beautyresulted
Trish, thank you, do you know what size round would fit a family of 5, in case we have a guest 6??
February 16, 2013 at 2:41PM   
cwalbrun19
I think painting them would give them a huge face lift. Black or white would work (or both, love that pic above with the combo) and a agree a color could be neat too. I'd play it safe and go with black for fear of getting sick of, say, teal chairs in a year that might be in style now. The table does have great lines.
February 16, 2013 at 2:44PM     
yvonnecmartin
What needs replacing? Just the cane? If so, that shouldn't be too expensive. I'm a big fan of keeping furniture that you like and that is unique to you. You might contact a couple of furniture repair people to get an estimate of what it would cost to at least fix the two broken chairbacks and to reupholster the chairs. In fact, if you are at all handy, changing the upholstery on the seats is relatively straight-forward.

I see one on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Drexel-Bonavanture-Dining-Table-Set-with-6-Chairs-Beautiful-/150939672260?pt=Antiques_Furniture&hash=item2324b49ec4

or just chairs http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-DREXEL-6-French-In-The-Country-Manner-Carved-Dining-Chairs-Provincial-SHIPS-/251226294301?pt=Antiques_Furniture&hash=item3a7e41081d
February 16, 2013 at 2:50PM     
beautyresulted
Yvonne, yes just the cane, they have dime size tears, good idea, thank you!! ;)
February 16, 2013 at 2:56PM   
beautyresulted
Haha!! yes, that's the same exact set!! You found it too!!!
February 16, 2013 at 2:58PM   
Mike Slater
It's hard to break up a set and it's especially hard to say goodbye to good quality furniture, but you might consider different chairs. I agree with an earlier comment that the overall set looks too big for the space. If you like the lines and quality of table, you may find updated and smaller profile chairs accent rather than compete with the table. The product photos of dining room chairs at Houzz might be worth browsing. If you do go with different chairs, my guess is you would want a chair with some curves but not so high and more of an open back.

You may want to rethink the plant centerpiece and place mates, which doesn't seem to complement table.

Good luck!
February 16, 2013 at 3:22PM     
beautyresulted
Mike, thanks!! very great points and advice! Any ideas, pictures??
February 16, 2013 at 3:35PM   
beautyresulted
It is a small space, that is why I didn't use the leaf it came with, the one against the wall in one of the photos, which is now in my garage! LOL
February 16, 2013 at 3:37PM   
nasmijati
Replace the cane seat backs. Reupholster the seats. Polish the table top. Howard brand beeswax is what all the antique stores in my city use. It is available at Home Depot.
Do not leave anything on the table in between meals. The wood table top is too beautiful.
February 16, 2013 at 3:43PM     
Mike Slater
Beautyresulted: Thanks for the nice compliment. I'll look tonight and try and post a range of options. What's your style preference?

I'll bet the other posters on your dilemma will have far better chair suggestions than I.
February 16, 2013 at 3:46PM     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would not paint them at this time. I would purchase 2 parson chairs, I would do skirted, but not skirted is OK. Slipcover them in a modern print fabric..maybe trellis. Replace seats on 2 chairs to be thicker padding and the same pattern. You have the best of both worlds.
February 16, 2013 at 3:53PM     
beautyresulted
Eztia, thanks on the advice on beeswax and on the compliment on my table.
February 16, 2013 at 4:15PM   
beautyresulted
Barbara, thank you! Could you possibly post a couple of pictures or the style name of a parsons chair you would recommend that would compliment this type of table??
February 16, 2013 at 4:20PM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Yes..one moment.
February 16, 2013 at 4:26PM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Something like this style..is you look, make sure the back is high. Also, keep it simple. http://www.carringtoncourtdirect.com/detail.cfm?ProductID=12
February 16, 2013 at 4:31PM   
beautyresulted
Barbara, thanks, very helpful!! The best of both worlds is true, I love that, love it!!
February 16, 2013 at 4:49PM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
That's great..I think it will give you the look you will like. My very best to you.
February 16, 2013 at 4:53PM     
twylahaj
Gorgeous lines. Beautiful wood. Painting it would be a shame, in my opinion. If you like it and like the wood, it is worth the investment to get the caned sections repaired, though it is likely to be rather costly if they have to replace large sections. I'd try sprucing up the finish before really changing it; it seems to be in pretty good shape.

You will be amazed at how much of a difference changing the seat covers makes. Choose an upholstery fabric you love (heavier weight - not something easily snagged or stained), treat it with Scotchguard to help prevent stains if it doesn't come that way. Something that coordinates with the furniture in the next room would be good since the dining room seems to be open.

I totally agree with eztia about keeping the table empty between meals. Nothing is as lovely as beautiful wood.
February 16, 2013 at 4:55PM     
Lkristine
Paint 4 of your chairs crisp white. For the 2 that are broken, replace for the King and Queen places at the table with a black and white print chair. Paint the table black or a very, very dark espresso color. I would also make the walls all the green color and eliminate the peachy color on the left side of the image. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Sole-Designs-Julia-Chaz-Dinning-Chairs-Set-of-2/7568849/product.html
February 16, 2013 at 4:58PM     
Lkristine
And this fabric with the four painted white chairs would look fabulous!
February 16, 2013 at 5:11PM   
beautyresulted
twylahaj, thanks excellent advice about the heavier weight seat covers, thanks, and scotchguard absolutely, thanks, I have small children so I believe this will truly save me headaches!! Coordinating with the next room due to open floor plan, 100% agree, although I will soon be changing my sofas so... my sofas will have to coordinate around my dinning, soon. I genuinely appreciate your advice, thank you so much.
February 16, 2013 at 5:23PM     
beautyresulted
Lkristine, oh my goodness, you love bold colors and prints, yet appreciate traditional, quality, classic, and simple, just like myself, I browsed your ideabook, very tasteful, thank you!! Thanks for the all of your design advice and on the wall color, my renters painted it that peach color, not my taste either, again, thank you!
February 16, 2013 at 5:30PM   
beautyresulted
I love the printed chairs, fabulous!!
February 16, 2013 at 5:31PM   
soberg
If you like the style, size, shape etc. and the structure is still sturdy, it's definitely cheaper to get the repairs down than to try to replace.
February 16, 2013 at 5:49PM     
beautyresulted
soberg, thank you!! I think I will start there, 100% agreed!! Beeswax table, repair cane and redo seat covers for the moment, it's a start! ;)
February 16, 2013 at 6:07PM   
beautyresulted
Thanks to all of you dine and design lovers for your creative, fabulous, smart, fun, and thoughtful design advice!! xox
February 16, 2013 at 6:10PM   
beautyresulted
I will post pictures once finished with the tlc!
February 16, 2013 at 6:42PM   
Darzy
I would do something like this to freshen it up. I'd leave the table alone.

February 16, 2013 at 6:55PM     
beautyresulted
Darzy, thank you, very creative!
February 16, 2013 at 7:08PM   
bevballew
If you love the table keep it. Re the chairs I have seen fabric on the back of chairs with one pattern on the back and another on the other side with the seat matching. Or add two new chairs with fabric on seat and other seats the matching fabric. .
February 16, 2013 at 7:19PM     
bevballew
Or you add a cushion to the area of the seat your back sets on with the seat matching and the caning is still on the back of the seat.
February 16, 2013 at 7:22PM     
wishingwell120
I have the same table which I ate at every night as a child! I painted it antique white and distressed it slightly for a cottagy look. I am pretty happy with it. I think you should keep the chairs for now but do what you can to make them more your style. Chairs are easily replaced but costly if you need 6 or 8. Good luck!
February 16, 2013 at 7:54PM     
Mike Slater
It seems like you will focus on repairing the cane and re-upholstering the chairs for now. If you do look for new chairs, I'll propose a range of ideas. The overall goal is to reduce the prominence of the chairs. The first several are very modern. I like the clear plastic because they have some curves but allow the eye to go to your table. The fourth allows you to select a fabric.
February 17, 2013 at 12:23AM     
Mike Slater
Here are two examples of slip-covered parsons chairs.
February 17, 2013 at 12:26AM     
Mike Slater
Here is an example of a thin, elegant, and colorful chair.
February 17, 2013 at 12:29AM     
Mike Slater
And here is an example of narrow low-profile chair in leather. The higher back makes it a bit more formal to complement your table but the thin frames keeps it contemporary and visually light.
February 17, 2013 at 12:31AM     
Mike Slater
Lastly, here's a chair where the curve comes in the flow of the seat to the backrest.
February 17, 2013 at 12:35AM     
beautyresulted
Mike, thanks!! You delivered!! I really like the clear and the cream or white parson chair as well! These might work if and when I decide to change it up. Love the red chair and the narrow leather chair in dark brown or white, however, I don't believe they will match the table quite as well, maybe for a more modern design? Truly, thank you!!
February 17, 2013 at 12:41AM   
Mike Slater
I'm more tolerant of the sharp contrast between old and new, which is why I offered the first set. But I realize they are not everyone.

The great thing about the parsons option is you can choose the slipcover fabric and have them custom made to whatever basic chair you purchase. Don't just get an off-the-shelf slipcover. And there are lots of people on Houzz with excellent taste in fabric.

Post pictures with whatever you choose and have fun!
February 17, 2013 at 12:59AM     
hockey456
Repair the caning, spray paint the chairs in a black/brown slightly metallic paint, then reupholster chairs in a funky fabric...

Leave the table alone except for a good oil or wax. Decorate the table with modern vases x5 in varying sizes in all the same color that coordinates with the seat covers. Done.
February 17, 2013 at 9:58PM     
beautyresulted
hockey456, OMG!! love it! Thanks!
February 20, 2013 at 10:30PM   
beautyresulted
Love the, "done"... Too funny and original, LOL, seriously love the banquette bench!!
February 20, 2013 at 10:32PM   
cyn222
I've seen some lovely furniture like that recently done in a soft grey tone. Very elegant and goes with many color choices for walls, fabric, etc.
February 20, 2013 at 10:33PM   
hockey456
Glad you liked it :-)
My neighbor tried the metallic spray paint on some chairs she found at an antique store. The result was beautiful. A little funky, but not over the top. Of course the metallic was subtle... Best comparison might "oil rubbed bronze". Have you decided what you will do?
February 21, 2013 at 4:56AM