Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for my living room
amarkiz
February 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is a 1926 house and the living room is 13 feet by 20 feet. There's a fireplace flanked by patio doors that lead to front porch. The far wall is windows with a radiator that's about 7 feet long. I just got rid of most of my furniture and realized there's a lot of space -- but I have no idea what to do. Do I get one big 7' couch and put it against radiator and somehow create a sitting area near the fireplace? do I get a smaller couch so as not to overpower the room? Please, help.... pix show a mess as we renovating and there are lots of boxes and we have had to move alot of things into the living room. The only thing we must keep is the enormous coffee table -- it is too big...but we don't want to get rid of it because we love it. We also have a black leather corbusier lounge chair (not shown) that we need to find space for
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
njmomma
From these pics it looks to me that you could fit a large sofa facing the fireplace, two chairs on one side and a love seat on the other side. Of course, I don't know the dimensions of your room. :-) a "U" shape in placement.
February 15, 2013 at 3:24PM   
groveraxle
What is on the wall opposite the fireplace? A photo of that wall would help.
February 15, 2013 at 3:28PM   
decoenthusiaste
Try the Corbusier in front of the windows/rad with a fluffy flokati rug under it. Stay with that theme for a sectional without any chaise extension, or two LC sofas "L'd" at the FP. If that is a niche to the left of windows, I'd build shelves in it or paint it a wow color and add a standing sculpture a la LC. You need a big colorful piece of art above the FP. Pull color from it for an area rug under the sectional and pillows, accessories, etc.living room interior
Model Three- Living Room
February 15, 2013 at 3:30PM   
amarkiz
the other wall has a double door wide passway to the dining room, and the remaining part of the wall is taken up with bookcases. Pic to follow. I did try the U shape around the fireplace but it wasted a lot of space, plus we all hated staring at the fireplace! I did think of two small couches facing each other on either side of the fireplace, with coffee table in the middle, but again, because the room is 20 feet long but narrower, that just wasted a lot of space at either end and made the room feel cramped somehow....
February 15, 2013 at 3:34PM   
amarkiz
I'd like to work with idea of keeping a couch alongside radiator, then coffee table where it is (which allows corbusier lounge to be to the right of the couch (assume a different couch than the one in the pic!) and then somehow do something with the space to the center and left of the fireplace....
February 15, 2013 at 3:39PM   
amarkiz
thanks decoenthusiaste! I actually have a huge wow painting right now on sliver of wall to right of couch.... I was thinking of getting an LC petite couch with two chairs, but thought it might be too much black leather...I do have tons of middle eastern carpets to add color.
February 15, 2013 at 3:42PM   
decoenthusiaste
Have you seen LC in red and white? They are available!
February 16, 2013 at 4:36PM   
More Discussions
Should I Paint My Cabinets White?
Our kitchen needs an update, we are considering changing...
Need help decorating Living room fireplace and wall
I have a large fireplace and wall and not sure how...
Delft chandelier dilemma - Do you like it? Is it a keeper?
I have this blue & white delft chandelier that I...
Need help with hexagon shaped family room
Have always had problem with this room because of shape...
What to do with this outdoor space?
I love our small screened in porch--but hate how it...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.