Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I have an area that needs help.
nancytano
February 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need help with this ledge. The picture is looking from the living room. The ledge has 2 metal vases up there but they have been up there for years and want something new to look at. My colors in this living/dinning room are browns and blue/greens. Please help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Jayme H.
You do want to call attention to it? If you don't I would take down the vases. Can u take a pic from a bit further back? Is it the only opening? What does it look like from the other side?
February 15, 2013 at 3:39PM     
nancytano
This is from farther back. Does it need anything up there?
February 15, 2013 at 3:42PM   
PRO
Dytecture
What you have there looks fine, I agree you don't want to 'clutter' up that ledge area. Although it's not the best design, I like the openness this open ledge creates.
February 15, 2013 at 3:44PM   
janishill
I wouldn't put any thing up there, but I would put some type of up-light on the ledge to play up the drama.
February 15, 2013 at 4:09PM     
clt96881
I love the existing vases. They help to illustrate the height of the room. If you are tired of them, use other vases, perhaps a different color or shapes. If you have an interesting sculpture, that would be good too.
February 15, 2013 at 4:15PM   
mollythecollie
My first thought was I hope you don't live in an earthquake prone area! I agree with Janishill, I don't think you have to have anything up there. Your home looks like it is very beautiful.
February 15, 2013 at 4:39PM   
nancytano
Yes we live in California but they are light weight vases.
February 15, 2013 at 5:17PM   
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
I don't think you need anything on the ledge. You want the focus to be on the wall and your photo grouping. I would consider lowering the chandelier to about 36" off the top of the table which will draw your eye down and make it a more intimate space. I would consider replacing the chandelier with a more linear shape to compliment the long dining table or perhaps a pair of lanterns. You might have a console table or buffet in another part of the room or house that you could group the metal vases with the addition of one lower vase to make an interesting tableaux. It could be balanced at the other end of the console with a tall lamp.
February 15, 2013 at 5:28PM     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I believe the ledge will look better as an architectural feature and not as a display area. Therefore, I would remove what is there and not replace it.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
February 15, 2013 at 5:42PM     
PRO
Eagledzines
I think you should accentuate it and paint it a bold blue that matches the other blues in your room. The blue combined with the absence of blue above it will do that.

Also, if you rematted the pictures into one large, long one that would further accentuate the lines of the wall.
February 15, 2013 at 5:42PM   
Lkristine
Nothing up there, but maybe add a wood trim so it looks like a large mantel piece making the space feel wider, since the height is already there.
February 15, 2013 at 5:55PM     
Jayme H.
I don't think u need anything up there...I think your chandelier could be a little lower...I love your home, it's wonderful!
February 15, 2013 at 6:50PM   
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
i would take the vases down and put nothing there:)))
if you have some extra money to spend then get bigger chandelier and hang it higher :))) only a sudgestion
February 15, 2013 at 7:13PM   
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Don't decorate the ledge. Its a distraction from everything else.
February 15, 2013 at 7:23PM     
AMN
Nothing on the ledge. It's an architectural feature of the home. Leaving accessories off of it allows it to do its job of providing visual interest and a sense of volume for the space.

A house provides shelter for people. And, since most people are under 8 feet tall, keep visual elements, accessories, and furnishings at human-level.
February 15, 2013 at 7:50PM   
sjkingston
Agree with not putting anything up there and would consider it as an "interior skylight". Picture the wall solid and the lack of light that would create. The light it lets in is wonderful, but as others said, it's architectural. Putting something up there distracts the eye from the great art wall and dining area.
February 15, 2013 at 7:54PM   
Tori Baker
Absolutely take the vases down! The problem is your eye is following the length of all your photos! You need a large mirror that runs vertical with pictures on either side! This will draw your eye down and let the top just be architectural!!! I do agree about lowering your chandelier also!!! Adding drama and intamacy is the purpose of a dining room!!
February 15, 2013 at 8:03PM   
nasmijati
I agree with the other suggestions:
Nothing on top of the ledge.
Change artwork to landscape (horizontal) rather than portrait (vertical).
Lower the chandelier.
You will be amazed at the difference in the room with just these few changes.
February 15, 2013 at 8:16PM   
hockey456
Agree with:
1. Empty ledge
2. New chandelier (larger)
3. Different art... Something larger and less cluttered than 5 small frames. A big canvas or a mirror.
February 15, 2013 at 9:18PM   
br14n
My favorite ideas are to paint that wall a bold color and to put wood trim on the ledge to give the effect of a mantle. I would also put some sort of sculpture or vase that is the complement color to whatever the wall is and a couple of low pieces like candles that would normally go on a real mantle. This will draw attention to and accentuate the architecture of the space without making it seem cluttered or disjointed from the room and give it a cozier feel.
February 15, 2013 at 9:30PM   
Lesley Snow
Old antique blue bottles
February 15, 2013 at 9:33PM   
PRO
ASVInteriors
One other thought not yet mentioned ....and thinking out of the box, place a LED strip along the top of the ledge with a blue light. You don't want to draw attention to the ledge, but you can use it to highlight (ha ha) your lovely high ceiling. It won't interfere with your other lighting as it is high up in the darker part of your living room.
It will create atmosphere and complement your blues. You have a white ceiling so this will turn blue at night. IKEA do cheap ones if you want to experiment first.
BUT what is on the other side? That will be affected too....
February 16, 2013 at 1:38AM   
PRO
ASVInteriors
to give you an idea?
February 16, 2013 at 1:58AM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.