Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ideas for updating entry
brad_richmond
February 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Looking to update the front door and possibly add a portico to this house. Style is very traditional and somewhat formal. Looking for ideas and examples of what to do. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Aja Mazin
What a stunning home!
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 4:36PM
Trisha Bourgeois-Lowthers
I think a nice awning and yes two sconces in black and some flowers along the walk way!
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 4:40PM
Ramona
A portico would look lovely. Keep the white framing, but put color on the door and a stunning light hanging under the portico. Design it so that there is room for beautiful planters on each side and find some way to break up the symmetry somewhere. Perhaps a flower bed to the right of the door with a very special specimen in it.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 4:43PM
PRO
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 4:52PM
judianna20
Your front isn't a typical flat front Georgian Colonial. What if you make that area more important by adding trim work?

3 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 5:00PM
bevballew
No portico. It is beautiful as it is. You need to change the front door color. Paint it black, a pretty burgundy type color or a dark brown stain. I live in a community with same type of housing. I think you take away the stately look if you add a portico. I agree with someone to add trim woodwork. I have a portico and would like to get rid of it. Symmetry gives a more formal look. A small flower bed on each side of the walk with deep pink inpatiens is more my taste.
4 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 5:32PM
bevballew
If you do decide to do portico I suggest a flat top one. No A frame shape.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 5:36PM
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
I love the thought of a glossy black doors like this without the portico : http://myinterior.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Landry-design-group-entry-door.jpg
2 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 5:44PM
Keitha
I agree to add some trim to make the door stand out. Paint the door and sidelights the same color, leaving the trim moulding same as your other trim.
3 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 5:52PM
bevballew
Love all four above! That is what I pictured also!
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 6:25PM
lionnessone
I like the idea of a pergola with a wrought iron balcony.
I believe it will add the charm you are looking for.

[houzz=Craftsman Style in Burlingame][houzz=Front yard]
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 6:45PM
Keitha
Found this picture in another post. Thought you might be interested?
2 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 7:42PM
Mary
I'd do something flat and round, with columns. Add red or black glossy paint on the front door. You have a lovely home!
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 7:56PM
PRO
Susan Friedman Landscape Architecture
The house is lovely! Replace the landing with new oversize landing as wide as the bump out. Then flank both side of the entry with matching beautiful urn planters planted with columnar or spiral evergreens. Pave the entry landing and steps with Connecticut bluestone and possibly replace walkway with same material, adding some curved lines. Break up the large expanse of lawn with additional planting beds for interest. The house has great potential!
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 5:19AM
brad_richmond
Thank you all for your feedback! Attached are some examples of what we've been looking at. What are your thoughts on using ionic columns instead of the typical doric column? Adding the extra trim work to make a pediment on the "bump out" would add a lot of detail the house needs. The benefit of a portico, and the reason it's something we want to add, is that it allows for a wood front door. The front door receives a lot of direct light and is not protected from the elements as it is currently. If we were to go with a wood front door it would likely be stained dark with an old brass knocker and brass handle set. Thoughts?
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 11:06AM
bevballew
I like the one at the top left. It appears you have a large house and that would suit it nicely. Nice thing about having a portico is protecting guests from the elements when waiting for you to arrive at the door. The third picture on the bottom showed no portico.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 5:34PM
brad_richmond
Another question for you all. Which column capital is most appropriate for the house? The columns will be painted to match the trim, but here are the three options:
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 9:10PM
bevballew
Anyone of them but I am leaning towards Scamozzi.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 4:18PM
Aja Mazin
Keep it simple.

The 1st two are too pretentious for your home..
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 7:58PM
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
I believe the flat roof portico would be the right shape for the style of the front of your home.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 8:15PM
brad_richmond
Hello everyone, I've got a new question: the door opening is strangely sized so it's looking like our options for a new door are limited to double doors. This would mean losing the transom and side lites and putting in two 8'x2' doors. Thoughts? Any examples of this that you think would look good with this style of home? Thanks so much!
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 11:49AM
bevballew
I live in a neighborhood with the same style house. Actually one right across the street from me with your exact style and it has double doors and looks great! Not to worry at all. You can get partial leaded glass or full leaded glass doors if you want more light coming in.
1 Like   June 6, 2013 at 2:06PM
PRO
Daniel Dionne Designs llc
That would look great, indoors and out, bevballew.
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 4:53PM
bluenan
You're limited as to the width of the portico by the quoins on either side. The third picture of your examples (click on the picture bevballew) is about as wide as you'll be able to accommodate. The more simple Tuscan Order column like your third column example will take up less room and look elegant, or the square column shown in your second example. Doric columns will not be smooth, they have concave grooves.
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 5:24PM
teresablakeman
U need a fancy door
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 8:11PM
bevballew
Confused blunan. I thought she was saying she has to go with double doors. Not sure what you mean by clicking. Maybe I misunderstood. My neighbor has two leaded glass doors like the one above with same style house. I might be missing the boat on this.
0 Likes   June 6, 2013 at 8:57PM
bluenan
Sorry, Bevbellew. I meant Brad's third example on the bottom that you thought didn't show a portico, if you click on the picture (or hover your curser) it will enlarge and you'll see the portico.
I was just remarking about the limited space because of the quoins (brick squares at the corner of the bump-out). Imo, double doors that are only 2' wide will look odd, they will both have to be open for anyone to enter.
Leaded doors will stray too far from the traditional exterior that gives your home so much presence. The picture above is a perfect example of a "fancy" door on a colonial. You never would have seen a door like that on a Georgian colonial, keep it pure, keep it classic.
0 Likes   June 7, 2013 at 5:47AM
bevballew
Hi blunan. I don't think iPads let it spread to rest of house. No big deal. Wow, I did not realize double doors would be only two feet wide. I would do a single door. My whole block has Georgian style homes and there is a mixture of all wood doors and leaded glass doors. I get what you are saying but I guess for those who don't find it necessary to stick with the typical door and who want light in the house I thought a leaded glass door could work. Your point well taken.
0 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 11:08AM
bevballew
Blunan I tried it again and it worked. The tap has to be "just right."
0 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 11:10AM
Jeff Boetig
The pictures people have suggested have white trim - The color of your trim is 1980's and 1990's builder look. Change the trim to white and maybe painting the brick will go a long way. That is the free advise - If you are going to spend 10k on this project why not spend 2k to speak to trainned achitect who can draw something to perfect scale and in keeping for your home. check The institure of classical architecture in your area.
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 1:25PM
PRO
Night Light, Inc.
Budget for some dramatic landscape lighting in your update. With those large and elegant shade trees surrounding the property you could create a rich look with moonlighting and/or uplighting. See our examples.
0 Likes   June 13, 2013 at 11:46AM
brad_richmond
A new entry door, sidelites, and transom, new windows (simulated divided lite with permanently affixed muntins both inside and out), and new paint! What do y'all think? Next improvement will be new entry lights in black, just have to find the right look!
2 Likes   January 16, 2014 at 6:45PM
bevballew
Looks great!
0 Likes   January 16, 2014 at 8:26PM
bluenan
Beautiful!
1 Like   January 17, 2014 at 2:15PM
brad_richmond
Do you all have any suggestions for light fixtures? I was thinking something in black like the attached image. Thoughts?
0 Likes   March 13, 2014 at 10:30AM
bluenan
I think because of how high your lights are hung, you'll want something that hangs down from the electrical connection, not up from it. Brass, copper, or bronze can all work with your home. Make sure whatever you pick is beefy enough to make a statement.

0 Likes   March 13, 2014 at 5:21PM