Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
stacked stone fireplace
edmontongirln18
February 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Can anybody tell me how to finish the top of a stacked stone fireplace (veneer) when it starts to meet a vaulted ceiling?. You will be able to see the top from the second floor , so I wanted a nice finished top. The house is new constrution, and I am trying to get the look of the fireplace that I found on this site, only take the stone to the ceiling that starts to vault at 10 feet. Also, the distance from the bottom of the fire box to the floor is 14 inches,should I lower the Hearth and put stone under the firebox (will it look odd) in order to lower the hearth. I am afraid that the legs on the wood surround will be (look ) too short. Any ideas?. Thank you in advance.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Becky
This is in a friend's lodge house. It's at least 30 ft high. The stones just stopped at the ceiling.
February 15, 2013 at 4:47PM   
PRO
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
The stone mason can cut the stones at the angle of your vaulted ceiling. Don't install a flat cap. Its a catch-all and how will you clean it? Lowering the hearth is a mistake in my opinion. Comfortable seating height is 16 inches, if in fact you want the hearth used for that purpose
February 15, 2013 at 5:20PM   
PRO
Eagledzines
You will have a very tall fireplace on the outside of the house to get a good enough draft. I believe it has to be at least 3' above the roof peak.
February 15, 2013 at 5:20PM   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
If you are concerned about the masonry being too tall or the way it looks against the ceiling, consider a shorter masonry stack and building out the drywall above the mantle. Layering even a 2X4 wall on the existing wall gives and architectural addition and some dimension to the surfaces. BTW, the typical code for the top of the flue is 2' higher than anything within 10'. Your roof looks steep from the photos, maybe a 12/12 (45 degrees)? If I am doing the math right in my head that means the top of flue is 12' above the point where it exits the roof. Lower pitch means a shorter chimney....draft is more about firebox construction and lower chimney flue(smoke shelf) construction than height. Sometimes an extremely tall flue is subject to wind pressure and draft problems because of that.
February 15, 2013 at 5:34PM   
mdamron61
I don't think the stone should be taken up to the sloped ceiling. Stop it a foot or so above the opening and cap it with a mantle. Then you can place a nice painting or flat screen tv above that.
February 15, 2013 at 6:41PM   
Jay Van Daley
I like Ironwood's idea about building out the drywall above the stone. It would add depth and dimension, plus you would have a great palette for some large artwork above the fireplace.
February 15, 2013 at 6:46PM   
spmm
Fabulous space, and views, do you have to use stone, seems a bit folksy? Stainless steel wide border around hearth perhaps
February 16, 2013 at 4:27AM   
spmm
With the flat slate look stones in front as a 'seat' as in the original picture
February 16, 2013 at 4:30AM   
Natalie
Hi---deifintely build the wall out and stop the stone where the wall meets the angle of the slope. I recommend NOTHING above the FP---you have enough going on in that area. Situate your TV and art elsewhere---let the stone stand alone... Soften the lines with floor to ceiling window panels... Good Luck!
February 16, 2013 at 4:36AM     
DIAspoton
taking the stone to the ceiling seems like overkill for a home. it should be a focal point without overwhelming.
February 16, 2013 at 4:38AM   
PRO
Aldrich Incorporated
It's the most critical part of the application but essentially you just let the stones terminate at the ceiling as other have said...I'll attach a few pics. Good luck.
February 16, 2013 at 5:08AM   
edmontongirln18
Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas, I really appreciate all
of them. Not a big fan of the stone, it is just leftover from the front of the House, I thought the Mantel would look 'lost' by itself in a Great Room.
This is our Sons house that we are building. (not my cup of tea at all). I lean more toward traditional style. No Vaulted ceilings for no and NO TV's on Fireplaces either!.
February 16, 2013 at 4:46PM   
spmm
TV at that height is ok if you watch standing up, or don''t mind getting a sore neck :)
February 17, 2013 at 3:42AM     
More Discussions
How to get the look I want for my living room/kitchen
Hello! I am looking for some help with my living...
Lorenz Arm Chair....who makes it?!
Ok Houzzers....I have a client looking for this chair...
Need ideas with Front Exterior Entrance.
Just bought this house, great neighborhood/location....
HELP: need advice re medicine cabinets and mirrors
We are doing a new master bedroom suite and will have...
custom showers and bathrooms
slate tiles, granite curb, sets, shelves, heated flooring,...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.