Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
where do we begin
Sandy Sabatelli
February 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
our home was built in 1987 current decoration and furniture we have had 11 years need to update. wishes new stone fireplacewall, painted woodwork, wall color ideas,
keeping purple leather sofa and chair
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
dany_hawkins
It is very hard to give an opinion with all the Christmas decoration . Can you post more pictures without the holiday's decor?
February 15, 2013 at 10:10PM   
2dogssashatess
I would start by pulling down your window treatments as they look dated.
I agree it would help us see what is going in the room if you posted photos without christmas decorations
February 15, 2013 at 11:15PM   
2dogssashatess
just looking at all the bottlles on the sideboard, it looks messy/cluttered, consider a bar where these things can be out of site
February 15, 2013 at 11:17PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Walls in soft yellow, pale blue, pale aqua, teal or soft coral. These work well with purple sofa. I would start with a colorful carpet to anchor the seating area. You can get inspiration from any of these colors.

Add some colors of printed rug in accessories and used for artwork and pillows. Maybe silver or acrylic lamps with drum shades. Window treatments are too formal. Maybe roman shades or cornice box valances, very slightly padded, horizontal clean lines in a solid fabric, sheers underneath.

Lamps and tables seem to be floating in the room. They need to connect to the seating areas.

Seems like too much furniture in the room or needs some re-arranging? Is there a way to direct the sofas and chairs toward the fireplace. and decide where other pieces may be placed? Hope this helps.

February 15, 2013 at 11:41PM   
PRO
ASVInteriors
If you are keeping your purple chairs, then I suggest you paint at least one wall the same colour. This will anchor your design. You can go two directions adding muted colours such as taupes, creams and silvers or you can go a bit brighter adding cream and gold accessories (but avoid getting too "blingy").

Replace your curtains with a more modern design (straight curtains on a rod - no valance unless it is boxed). Aim for straight lines

What ever sofas you replace try to avoid patterns (they do date quickly). Taupe or grey could work depending on the colourway you choose.

As LB Interiors advises, you need to rearrange the tables and bring a cohesiveness - perhaps because it was just after Christmas things were a bit unusual. But seeing the wood for the trees is tricky.

Finally, incorporate your fireplace into your scheme, it seems to be sulking because it is so obviously ignored!
Welcome to Relaxation!
Julianne Kelly
February 16, 2013 at 12:36AM   
charleee
For the wall over the bar, consider installing glass shelves for all the bottles: [houzz=
]
February 16, 2013 at 3:10AM   
Sandy Sabatelli
thank you all, we are away will post more photos when home, there is a 14 ft christmas tree in the back corner of the great room this is why all the furniture is grouped together . any fireplace ideas? maybe stone surround?we usually have conversation areas set up the room is divided into three areas and the Dr in on the other side of the tall wall where the bar is located. Thanks I am starting to think about the changes and will start in a few weeks thanks to all for their ideas. My big concernis paint color and I need an idea for the tall wall, there is a vaulted ceiling.
February 16, 2013 at 5:59AM   
Nancy Hehmann
I would take down the valances and get drapes with grommets for a more modern look. I would chandelier the walls to a shade of white. It will give a more spacious and clean feel I would paint the bar either black or a metallic silver. If you are keeping the sofa, I would choose one of the colors from it for faux silk drapes or silk.
February 16, 2013 at 6:27AM