Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Guest bathroom help
sairaphil
February 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am looking to decorate our guest bathroom. As you can tell from the pictures, it is not very big so space is a limitation. The colors are plum and light gray. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spmm
It looks much better and larger with the curtain open. A frameless clear glass shower screen at the shower end would look great and open the space out.
3 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 9:42PM
PRO
Overland Remodeling & Builders
@spmm. I agree, you have a very nice tile work hiding behind that curtain, clear glass shower door will make your bathroom look more spacious and will show the nice tile work
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 9:53PM
cani
I have the identical bathroom as you except my doorway is at a different spot. Here's what we did with ours. The glass shower doors and the mirror going all the way across really makes it seem twice as large as it shows the whole shower
14 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 11:03PM
PRO
LB Interiors
How about wallpaper to give it subtle drama. Makes a small room 'special'.

0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 12:19AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
I would go for a deep plum colour (I found one called "Wicked") or as LB Interiors suggests. You can add some drama introducing muted silver and glass accents:
wallpaper
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 12:24AM
charleee
You might think of painting the vanity cabinet a dark plum. Other than that, perhaps you could add some cool accessories: [houzz=Twist Lilac Bathroom Accessories]

Here's an ideabook dealing with plum: Ideabook: Color Guide: How to Work With Plum
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 3:22AM
magmile
Canni- Would you mind posting more pics of your bathroom? I have the same setup as the sairaphil except I have a window in the middle of my shower. :( I love what you did and am extremely interested in seeing other angles of your bathroom. It's awesome! Thanks
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 4:09AM
cani
I love some of the ideas that were posted for you. I have a question for everyone as I am planning to redo my next bathroom which is the same layout. My question is about using dark colors in a small bathroom. It looks great on the pictures but don't know if it would make you feel closed in if you are in the room. I love the idea of a dark metallic finish for my next bathroom.
magmile, I would be happy to post more pictures later today.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 10:56AM
PRO
LB Interiors
Maybe a chandelier? Use the existing electrical box and swag the chandelier to the center of ceiling near the front of the vanity. Will provide more light to the shower area also.

0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 2:25PM
countbla
You said decorate so I'll interpret that as "hundred not thousand of dollars" so custom glass doors might not be in your budget... If you like plum as an accent color, how about finding a nice curtain that is mostly cream or light tan with a nice accent band of that plum color? The existing small rugs might still work once you tone down the large shower curtain area. Also definitely needs something above the toilet area, whether its some art or decorative item, or even a small shelf with towels... again maybe light towels with a touch of the accent color.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 2:54PM
PRO
Overland Remodeling & Builders
@cani: although I like dark colors I wouldn't use them in a small bathroom.

I have attached pictures of a small bathroom I'm currently working on, hope this will help
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 3:11PM
cani
overland, I just did a bathroom in light colors and am looking ahead to the bathroom off the bedroom which I want to do very dramatic and thought about using dark colors.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 6:46PM
cani
LB, I love your idea of a chandelier and would love to put one in my bathroom. Is there a rule for that, if you only have 8 ft ceilings? Will it work?
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 6:56PM
PRO
LB Interiors
@cani ...thanks ...You can hang it very close to the ceiling. the largest height dimension for the chandelier probabably can't be more than 16", a tall man of 6'6" will have 4" of headroom, possible consider 12" - 14" height for total height from ceiling to chandelier bottom. You would have to look for the height of a mini chandelier.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 7:23PM
bevballew
I would just put glass shower doors, seamless hopefully. Add a beautiful paper or dramatic color. Love the chandelier area. Code requires I believe above tubs a covered fixture is required. A pretty mirror like the sunburst ones and a new faucet.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 7:27PM
cani
magmile, here are two more pics. One with a better view of vanity and the other the back shower wall.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 11:28PM
PRO
ASVInteriors
cani, I have used dark colours in small spaces and they can work very well! The logic behind it is that dark walls make dark corners which then don't define the angles in the wall - you can actually feel you are standing in a bigger space than you actually are. I have done bathrooms in deep dark grey (and they are so cosy at night); plum and even a dark taupe.
However, lighting becomes super important when taking this on, you MUST get it right : dimmers are essential.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 11:51PM
magmile
Thanks Cani! Love it! My bathroom is way smaller - it will only fit a 36 in vanity. I like your extended vanity top over the toilet . It's given me some new ideas for additional counter space.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 4:22AM
Shannon
Cani - I love your bathroom renovations. Do you have a hard time keeping that clear glass clean? Also - was it difficult to do the built ins in the shower. Your bathroom looks great! It gives me hope and ideas for mine
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 4:45AM
cani
magmile, thanks for your comments. That extended counter over the toilet I think is called a "banjo". That is actually how my bathroom was originally just with outdated materials. You don't see it so much anymore but I really wanted to do it that way because I think it takes your attention away from the toilet and also it gave me the opportunity to run the mirror all the way across. When I was designing it my friend kept telling me it was old fashioned but I had seen one designer use it in small bathrooms in a very modern way so I went with it. Also if you look at the entrance wall where the light switch is, that wall went further in and really closed the room off visually. That wall is part of the linen cabinet in the hallway. So when you looked in the room you could not see anything but the vanity. We already had the floor in and decided to cut the corner of that wall off at an angle and it opened the whole room up. Luckily the tile guy was super and was able to patch in that area on the floor.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 12:12PM
cani
Shannon, are you referring to the glass shower door or the cutout in the back wall of the shower as far as keeping it clean? Most of the shower doors come with a coating and you just squeegee (spelling?) it. I also squeegee the shower walls and the glass tiles. As far as the built ins, well I used an excellent tile guy and it was worth every penny as he did a wonderful job. Originally I was only going to put glass tiles in the cutout area but then decided to run it all the way up the wall so it would match the other end of the shower. He wanted to put stone as the shelves but I wanted glass so he built the opening for the shelves and told me what size glass to get and the glass company put the shelves in. I was hoping they would be removable but he said you can't do it that way but he did leave a little space in the back of them so water would not accumulate there but run down. The other thing that he did that I just love is how he finished the outer edging of the shower in a square shape instead of the round pieces that are usually used. I don't know if it shows up that well on the picture.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 12:33PM
bevballew
I squeegee my shower doors every time I shower. It is no big deal. Just get in the habit. My cleaning lady has told me I have the cleanest shower doors they have seen.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 5:48PM