Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with my living room
at1edwards28
February 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am moving into my new home but the living room is narrow...not sure how to place my couch, loveseat, recliner, and TV in this space. The fireplace and stairway throws me off.I have attached pictures of the previous owner's layout and two that reflect the changes I have made. Please help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rinqreation
Are you planning on using the fireplace?
And how often do you watch tv?
Those two answers are important when deciding where to place the tv and the seats. If you're not using the fireplace and watch tv often, put the tv in front of it as a new centerpiece.
If you don't watch tv often: You could make a tv-corner in the back with the couch and arrange a comfy cosy layout in front of the fireplace with a loveseat and two chairs or two loveseats facing eachother.
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 1:09AM
olldroo
Yikes, that is a difficult one and your lounge is very long which makes it even more difficult. I think I would go for two separate areas, like ringreation said, depending on how you use the area. If you use the fireplace a lot, then I would create a cosy area in front of it as your main seating area. I would then put the TV at the other end of the room in the corner and just put a couple of comfy armchairs for watching. Definitely move the TV from in front of the window. I would worry your lounge could be a bit too long to use there, I think you are limited to where it is. Assuming the door beside your TV is the front door, I would not close that end of the room off with the back of a loveseat.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 1:33AM
at1edwards28
Yes...I will use the fireplace and I only watch tv on the weekends and usually have guest on the weekends...I am thinking of purchasing a sectional...I officially move in to weeks...Thank you both for your suggestions...I guess once I move the furniture in there and start moving it around I will see what feels good...(crossing my fingers for luck).
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 12:04PM
olldroo
If you purchase a new lounge setting wait till after you move in and try to find one that isn't too bulky looking as it will fill the room more. Take all measurements and join sheets of newspaper to make up the size of the lounge and place that in your room to check how it will fit and the options you have. Don't rush into it, your space is limited and the more groundwork you do the happier you will be. Good luck - and don't forget to post 'after' photos.
2 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 2:53PM
decoenthusiaste
May I suggest you up the wow factor by painting the doors black? Keep the furniture scale small and put the tv by the door in the small end of the room. A couple of swivel chairs and a small round game table with 4 chairs should handle guests viewing TV and socializing there. I would try a sleeper sofa facing the FP to help with the guest sleeping arrangements. Non-matching end tables and a coffee table and lamps will finish that spot. By the window I'd put a low built-in bookcase, two reading chairs and a floor lamp. These chairs should be light enough to be pulled up to the FP area for more social occasions. Anchor the game table and the FP area with area rugs. Under the table, rugs should be 4 feet larger than the table. Hang a drum pendant over the table from one of the fixtures you've installed.
T Eatons Loft Entrance
Cape Cod renovation
Contemporary Basement
Reading Nook
3 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 6:10PM
misecretary
I agree with everyone--move TV away from window and put at opposite end of the room.
The stairway wall looks fantastic now that the spindles have been removed. Nice job.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 10:10AM
More Discussions
Wanted: Back-splash colors and ideas for my new kitchen in Florida
I need back-splash colors and ideas for my new kitchen...
What color drapes?
I have redecorated from Williamsburg blue to a nice...
wooden counter for kitchen?
I am redoing the counters in my kitchen and want wood...
What size and shape dining table should I get for a 15' x 13' room?
We want to get a dining table that will seat 8 people...
Types of trim
We want to change our trim in our home to something...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.