Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Pillow color help
colleen100
February 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I changed the rug and drapes. They are a silver sage color and the rug has navy blue, gold, cranberry and blue. What colors will help tie this room together? I am still searching a table piece for next to the sofa.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
colleen100
One more pic of the room
February 16, 2013 at 4:13am   
Mark
I like it the way it is, but if you add more pillows I would go with the silver sage color like your drapes, then maybe add a throw in a navy color. I think adding to many colors will take away from the softness of the room that you have executed very nicely.
February 16, 2013 at 4:29am     
Natalie
Hi---Great rug! No need for patterned pillows nor more accessories---plenty going on in this space. I would have opted for color on the wall and light colored drapes, but this is fine. Pretty room... Good Luck!
February 16, 2013 at 4:49am     
Mark
I think the picture to the right of the window by the door should come down, there is not enough space for it.
February 16, 2013 at 4:57am     
PRO
ASVInteriors
I would avoid introducing navy as it is a strong colour and will jar visually with your soft colours. Look at your rug, navy is used the least and yet it stands out! Pick out other colours and use a tiny dot of navy blue in another way (small box or vase); I think your sofa could do with some very very subtle pattern that doesn't clash with your carpet but echoes it..
Client Photos
For next to the sofa I would add a delicate gold or brass glass table which seems to complement your scheme right now...
My Home
February 16, 2013 at 5:10am   
colleen100
I have nesting tables...one more to add under this one. Does this work? Also, the lamp looks too yellow. Is it? Shod I add something else?
February 16, 2013 at 6:39am   
colleen100
A better picture of the tables.
February 16, 2013 at 6:42am   
PRO
ASVInteriors
Sorry, I didn't see this nesting table - you can get away with symmetry but perhaps just one table that looks similar without being the same might avoid overkill. So on the other side, a dark metal table with glass in a similar manner - you don't want to fill that corner up visually.
For the lamp it is hard to say from the photo, you probably feel it is which is why you are mentioning it. If you are, try a pale coral silk lampshade (keep the receipt in case you need to return it), the colour should be like the accent coral in your carpet and it will give a warm glow to the room when the light is on.
February 16, 2013 at 7:59am   
colleen100
Which corner are u referring to when u say to not do too much? The corner with the desk?
February 16, 2013 at 8:36am   
colleen100
Does this lamp work? Ran to home goods before I saw the coral shade suggestion. Found two of these sage pillows too.
February 16, 2013 at 9:03am     
colleen100
Husband just screamed contemporary on the pillows. They will be returned.
February 16, 2013 at 9:12am   
PRO
ASVInteriors
Sorry, ignore my comment about the corner - I now realize that is where you have the lamp.
This is the kind of lampshade I had in mind: http://www.thelampshadegallery.com/Product/tabid/61/ctl/ProductDetails/mid/381/ProductID/121/Default.aspx
or would this work do add a shot of colour in the corner:
East Enterprises Red Foodog Oriental Table Lamp With Red Finish
Wow those pillows look blue blue blue. These are not quite what I had in mind but I think you get the idea about muted design and soft colours - the second one just seems to have a lot of your colours, but I don't recommend it. Take your time on this to find the right one for you.
Chinoiserie Cushion
Aleta Embroidered Pillow Cover
February 16, 2013 at 9:29am     
colleen100
You are so helpful! I understand better! I love the second lamp and see the pillows need more thank what I have here. I will return and continue to shop around. Pottery barn has some great pillow options I am liking as well.
February 16, 2013 at 10:02am     
Nancy Hehmann
In the picture the blue cushions look good withe drapes! But lights is everything. If they look as god together In persnI would keep them

Excuse the apparent misspelling. I was initially typing on an Ipad and it sometimes incorrectly corrects things!
February 16, 2013 at 12:24pm     
Mark
Just my opinion but I think the lamp that you have on top of what appears to be a little secretary is too high and too big to be placed on the top. The secretary looks like a nice piece and I think should be moved to another spot because it's not doing the job as an end table that would be better in this corner. Once you place an end table in this corner then you can get a larger lamp more in scale with your furniture and better lighting as well. Mark
February 18, 2013 at 2:06am     
manvisudan
Add torquoise colour or orange or red velvelty pillows to add vibrant colour and if dont want vibrant colours then black n grey would work
February 18, 2013 at 2:48am     
colleen100
The drapes are looking so off to me. Do they work with the sofa color? The rug and drapes are perfect but the sofa looks too mustard. I will add color in pillows to see if that works. Thanks!!!
February 18, 2013 at 4:07am     
colleen100
Mark, yes you are so right! I need to move the desk to the smaller wall in the other side of the sofa.
February 18, 2013 at 4:27am     
Mark
That is exactly where I was thinking the secretary would look nice as well. I still think from the photos your room is lovely and I really don't think you need to add color in the way of pillows. However there is no harm in trying with different pillows when they can be returned of course. If your not finding the color tones in the cushions that are already made go to the fabric store and get them to cut you small samples of material in colors that you think will be nice and try that. It is so easy to make a throw pillow or have someone make it. All the pillows that you see in my sitting room below I made and I got exactly what I wanted because I custom made them . Just another thought. Mark
February 18, 2013 at 5:28am     
Mark
Just another pic of the sitting room
February 18, 2013 at 5:35am     
colleen100
Stunning! I will do that as well. I moved the secretary and will go back to my original plan to find an end table for this corner. Tx mark!!!
February 18, 2013 at 5:39am   
colleen100
That is absolutely gorgeous. Such a softness to it! Love it:). I see the pillows and they do blend perfectly.
February 18, 2013 at 5:43am   
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
Since your question is about the pillow choice I would chose one like ASV... is suggesting with the embroidery that has all the colors of the room. I like the nesting tables and would add the third one to it. On the other side I do not like the caddy cornered desk. If you want to use it, place it next to the sofa and open the top and then put the lamp on the openned surface.
February 18, 2013 at 5:46am     
colleen100
I think my coffee table is throwing me off too. Another post suggested glass. I'm heading in that direction again. Having kiddies I always tried to stay away from glass but I think it will soften the room.
February 18, 2013 at 5:48am   
colleen100
Thanks lpmenache ... It's not able to hold a lamp but I moved it back to its original home and opened it. Needs a smaller lamp probably. This desk was left in the house from the previous owner. Having a hard time getting rid of it and finding the right place for it. :)
February 18, 2013 at 5:53am   
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
ok I see.
February 18, 2013 at 6:14am   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
The Drapes and Blinds look great!! :)
February 18, 2013 at 6:19am     
Mark
The secretary looks really nice where you put it. It's too bad it would not hold a lamp. As far as the coffee table I like it. If you do change to something in glass I would get an oval or even a round wood coffee table with a glass insert on top. Then you have the best of both. I think an oval or round coffee table would soften the room as well because everything is either rectangular or square in your room ( the sofas, the coffee table, the nesting tables, even the pictures on the wall) which looks lovely don't get me wrong but introducing something like an oval or round shape would really soften all all those hard lines.
February 19, 2013 at 5:04am     
colleen100
Great advice mark!! I will hang into it till I have to change it out and especially with 2 boys the wood table may be the best option right now. I thank u and will continue to search for the right end table for that corner.
February 19, 2013 at 4:35pm     
More Discussions
need help redesign my kitchen
How can update my kitchen cupboards at a low cost
floor planning help!
I'm wondering if anyone has any good sites to use for...
POLL: Carpet or Hardwood?
Do you prefer carpet or hardwood as your go-to flooring...
Your favorite home of all time?
What's your favorite home that you have ever lived...
Ideas? Colors especially, Room size 14x14 (approx)
I have not much room, I have a long dresser, tall dresser,...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.