Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with a foyer
jumeci
February 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi there! Any suggestions for my foyer? Note that the small chair is an extra from my kitchen table and just a placeholder. Also will eventually be replacing the dining set. One other note is that the family goes through the garage entrance, so no major storage needs. We also predominantly use a back staircase to go upstairs. Thanks so much!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
I love the transoms in your home, my dream home has these. :)

The front door is fantastic, I'm a huge fan of stained wood doors with painted trim around them.
This is what I suggest:
1. Larger area rug
2. Art work on the walls on either side of the door - tall narrow paintings, or 3 stacked paintings/pictures on both sides of the door, or linear iron work to play off the stair railings.
3. An upholstered bench on the left side would look nice.
4. A mirror or art work above the bench.

Cheers
Mary
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 5:46AM
abbshel
The chest you have under the two pics looks too large for the area. It looks like you have to get past it in order to continue to the next room.

It would be better to have a slim sofa type table in the entry with a lamp on it, as opposed to,the floor lamp you have now.

The rug seems a little dark for the area. Try something with a little larger pattern and lighter colors.

You have a beautiful home!
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 6:24AM
PRO
Dytecture
This is a rather lovely entryway. Not sure if privacy is an issue but I would cover the side lights and the window inserts in the door.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 6:24AM
PRO
The Creative Man
Hi, being so large, I would create a room environment in it. Maybe make it a library area. A couple of comfy chairs, an ottoman, pillows, area rugs and painted shelves with books.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 6:48AM
rosannadanna
Hi, What a lovely entrance and so much light ! I would put a bench where the chair and table are, with a large full length mirror above, handy for taking a look at yourself just before you head out the door, a larger lighter colour rug, a runner going up the centre of the stairs to soften the edges of the staircase, a small table on the other side of the door for keys or your purse , put a single large piece of art ( or a group of 3) in the place of the 2 pictures and a narrow console table under them, and something larger and with colour against the wall beside the staircase - maybe a wing chair and side table or a larger scale piece of furniture, like a display shelf. It would be nice for displaying photos and interesting treasures. Good luck, it's a lovely space you are working with, so you can't go wrong !
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 7:56AM