Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Any ideas for a patio layout.
Dominic Magdalena
February 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi There, I'm just converting a former health club to a luxury 7500 sq, ft, apartment. I'm struggling for creative ideas for a large garden terrace. I have attached a photo as it is but would like to break it up a bit and include a hot tub. it is 15x6 Metres.

Many thanks,

Dominic.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
KL Designs Residential Landscape Planning LLC
I love those shade sails! You might consider making 'walls' with boxed planters. Instead of planters only being on the perimeter use them as if walls inside a home instead. Putting them on casters can give flexibility to move them around if you want a larger space for an event. Also consider outdoor rugs. Just like in the home, outdoor rooms can have their furniture anchored by rugs as well. Just be sure they can take the elements and check if you have to pull them in during a rainy season. In regards to a spa, it appears from your photo that your terrace is above ground level. Make sure your terrace is structurally sound for the weight a spa will create. Also with a spa, folks getting out will have wet feet and that floor can be very slippery when wet. So add a floor covering around the spa area or the small wood tiles that imitate a deck and can be interlocked together right on that floor. a terraced water feature at the center of that star burst would be more interesting than a pot and a trunk! You can't see enough of the the palm to enjoy it.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 1:46PM
laurajquint
That is a lovely terrace.

I suggest zoning to break up the vast space. Eating, hot tub, maybe reading or sunbathing depending on the weather and how you are likely to entertain.

As above check it will take the weight of a hot tub including the water volume when filled. I would place it next to the kitchen as you will need to top up the water level from time to time and completely empty it and refill at least once a year.

Then think about a dining table that seats 6+ as the multiple square tables are screaming cafe/health club. Where do you want to put an outdoor grill? Or do you want to consider a built in kitchen?

If you don't want to or can't move the big palm tree, why not add some sparkly lights to the trunk and make it a feature? You could look at putting a circular bench around the base or leaving space to water the tree, have a circular table built around it with bar height seating?
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 1:59PM
decoenthusiaste
I agree with the pot and palm trunk - not too interesting. Can you put a fire pit in the center of the star burst? Surround it with pairs of swivel chairs and low cocktail tables. This might require an alternate spot for the sails, as they could be a fire hazard. The pad and steps at the lower part of the plan look like they could be a spot for the spa. It could be screened from view with plant material and changing rooms could be built either side of it. I'm not understanding the two blue items that look to be beds.
1 Like   February 17, 2013 at 2:08PM
Dominic Magdalena
Many thanks for your suggestions. The palm has definitely got to go. I like the idea of a fire box or water feature in the centre with swivel chairs. Then the planters on casters to chop things up a bit. Much appreciated.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 11:13AM
More Discussions
Great
Amazing website !
Need Help With 80's Doors
Should I paint or stain these? Storage is on the other...
Need lighting suggestions for double volume space
I have a large living area with a sloping double volume....
Ugly heater in bed room
Hi Anybody now, how could I hide this object in my...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.