Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Living room to finish
decoratorsh
February 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have tropical gray on the walls which I love and a taupe fireplace. The room has high ceilings and echoes and I don't like the window treatments. I don't know what to do with the TV wall or table wall and the colors of the chairs aren't working any suggestions?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jansgirl
Add a large rug to help with your echo.
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 8:22AM
decoratorsh
What color rug and how big should it be??
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 9:44AM
Dave P
Sound absorption / diffusion has to do with reducing flat areas. So area rugs, window panels, stuff on the walls of different sizes, and furniture will help. If you like minimalism or modernism though, echos are a tradeoff.

Sound rule of thumb is to put a rug beneath the location you are likely to be talking or listening at. In your case, in front of your sectional. The closer the rug gets to your chair and TV, the less sound echoing off the floor.

You could also hang some things on the wall behind the TV and the sectional that would reduce some sound. The more texture the better. Again, there will be visual tradeoffs here that you'll need to think about.

On a visual level, I like your pantone of green, blue and cream. Your rug would probably want to incorporate one of those. You've got warm tones on your floor, so don't pick any warm colors and stick with your pantone.
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 11:34AM
decoratorjh
Pop up with a bold color with all the neutrals Add a mirror or picture above the fireplace And add a designer rug with texture to soften the echo And get those drapes u want to complete the look. Sister. Decoratorjh
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 4:59PM
decoenthusiaste
Fabrics, pillows, throws, insulated heavier drapery, and most of all a huge beautiful rug will dampen the echo. Wood, rather than metal or plastic will help. Consider adding more wood with built-in bookcases and TV on both sides of the FP. Tapestries on the walls is another muffler.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 5:04PM
decoratorsh
Thank you Dave!! I didn't know what Pantone was so I looked it up. Also I didn't see the blue green colors as those were just chairs I had when I moved in. I wanted to add color but didn't know where to start. I'm checking out teal colors so I can unite the different chairs with the same color Fabric. I'm considering Jericho jade. It looks good with taupe pillows. See picture.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 10:41AM
Jayme H.
The console table may be too small...It seems too short from the pic??
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 10:43AM
Dave P
This is just me but I would suggest picking a blue or green closer to the chairs you have. The problem with teal is that instead of uniting the blue and green, it will likely look more like you added an additional color to the mix. Then, there will be three colors asking for attention: blue, green, and teal (Plus, the wall tone, warm floor, black tv cabinet, and wooden foot chest).

Teal can definitely work, if you embrace it, maybe remove a chair, and pick some accessories that match it. Search "teal" on Houzz for accessory examples.

One easy room fix would be to hide away all of the DVDs/games (whatever they are) that you have out. Those are unintended visible colors that distract from the design. Also, it simplifies and de-clutters it a bit.

Enjoy the journey, experiment, and don't be fearful of mistakes. Every designer has those. Nail holes can be patched, walls can be repainted, items can be returned. Good luck!
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 11:00AM
mpoulsom
What about navy blue and teal for your pops of color? I like those colors with your taupe and beige!
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 11:05AM
mpoulsom
something like this as far as pattern and style may be nice in a pair on either side of the fireplace instead of the chairs you have. Then add some navy and teal accents. Navy throw pillows on couch or even navy blue curtain panels would look good!
1 Like   February 18, 2013 at 11:14AM
decoratorsh
Love the navy and teal idea. Plan on covering both chairs. Love the rug picture. Table can go. Not sure what to do in that spot. Fireplace picture needs to go. Ok up north but not in Florida. Keep those great ideas coming
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 12:24PM
mpoulsom
ok decoratorsh....not to be confusing, (and i DO love the navy and teal idea too), but here is a totally different direction for a color combo. It would also work. Just giving you another option. I actually ran across this unexpectedly from an ad today. go figure. The coral and yellow color was very pretty too with your taupes, etc. Please excuse the advertisement on the pic. lol

I also think you may need to start shopping around in local galleries or on etsy and find a nice piece for above fireplace, if you are thinking about replacing that. I think something colorful and maybe abstract, (WITH the colors you choose to use in chairs etc in addition to other colors.) There is plenty of reasonable artwork out there. Don't be shy when dealing with artists. If you love something of their's they may work with you on price, if it seems a little high. It needs to be more square than your piece you have now, and larger.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 12:47PM