Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I've watched too much DIY network
Dotti Blanton
February 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Need help with ideas. On a limited budget and have torn my kitchen apart. When I moved in they had stenciled flower pots on the oak cabinet doors. I've sanded them and discovered staining was not an option. I'm going to attempt painting, picked antique white with turkish coffee glaze. need advice on everything, counters,cheap but nice, color scheme for kitchen and walls. I am having one of the cabinets fitted for glass. The pics below show just how much help I need
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
DirectBuy of Fort Worth
Don't brush paint those cabinets use a sprayer. Make sure you use a good primer before adding the color. For the backsplash you can get an inexpensive white subway and then add a simple accent band in a glass mosaic. Inexpensive and looks nice. For the countertops try recycled glass or concrete. Both are very cost effective.
February 16, 2013 at 9:22am   
Dotti Blanton
thank you. would a roller work to paint the cabinets as well as a sprayer. I'm not sure I can use a sprayer well. thanks for the tips
February 16, 2013 at 9:24am   
kinz9999
I would also change up the knobs on the cabinets. Decorate above the cabinets with collectibles that you love - teapots, vintage kitchenware etc. What color do you like and would go with the decor of your home? Paint the walls that color, add some cute area rugs and clear off your counters. Good Luck!
February 16, 2013 at 9:27am     
groveraxle
Dotti, do NOT use a roller. It will leave little pock marks behind. Don't use a brush either. If you can't spray or just don't want to, use those disposable foam pads, the kind with the little hairs. I use them on all my woodwork. They're quick and give you the smoothest finish. I try to keep them on hand for touchups too.
February 16, 2013 at 9:33am     
soberg
For value, laminate counters are the way to go, Yours look fine though..are you changing them because they're worn?

The paint/glaze idea sounds beautiful. Just make sure to degrease, sand and prep very thoroughly. Remove dust with a tackcloth. Definitely new hardware for cabinets...classic bushed nickel knobs or pulls, perhaps.
February 16, 2013 at 9:34am   
soberg
Glass cupboard doors can be beautiful IFF you either put only lovely, coordinated dishes behind the glass, or you use obscured/frosted glass. A jumble of food packages and bottles on display does not enhance a kitchen.
February 16, 2013 at 9:36am     
Dotti Blanton
groveraxle, are you talking about the same material that on those edgers used for painting. I see the pic you did, I'll look for those.
February 16, 2013 at 9:42am   
Dotti Blanton
I did buy brushed nickle to replace the knobs, thanks
February 16, 2013 at 9:44am   
Dotti Blanton
soberg, I've gone around and around with the countertops, yes they are discoloring. I've seen Home Depot sells just the formica in sheets, has anyone had luck in just cutting that and gluing it over the old?
February 16, 2013 at 9:46am   
groveraxle
Yes, Dotti, I think they're called paint pads. The painting surface is foam with a bazillion tiny hairs. The one I pictured is the disposable kind; $2 at Home Depot. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100186429/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=paint+pad&storeId=10051#.USAd_46Xrfg
February 16, 2013 at 4:02pm     
sms9758
You actually can go over old laminate but don't feel limited to what's in stock. You can order any style in sheets. Look at Formica 180fx. It's awesome. And I used foam roller to do my cabinets. Looks gray lasted forever.
February 16, 2013 at 5:05pm     
bluvelvet222
I agree with sms9758. I used the small foam rollers with great success on cabinet doors.
February 16, 2013 at 5:27pm   
Christine Pucedo
Why can't you stain it if you remove the Finnish?
February 16, 2013 at 5:39pm   
ourfarmhouse
Dotti,
Use Floetrol paint conditioner if you use a brush. It evens out the brush marks and levels the paint. Make sure you rough up the finish on the cabinets and put a primer on it first. I've used it before and have gotten pretty close to a sprayed finish.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Flood-Floetrol-1-Qt-Clear-Latex-Paint-Additive-FLD6-04/100198078#.USBL4YWC7m0

By the way, the oak grain will come through with any painting technique, unless you fill the grain. There are some grain fillers out there, but this would be quite a bit more work.
February 16, 2013 at 7:22pm   
aniluap2
Rustoleum makes a product for transforming kitchen cabinets. Comes in many colors, it is supposed to be easy to use, check it out.
February 16, 2013 at 7:52pm     
yvesun
Purchasing new laminate counter-tops aren't that expensive. Find out where Home Depot gets their laminated counter-tops and go straight to the source. Quite often the "source" will have second's, which means someone mis-measured and new ones had to be re-ordered. The seconds are usually a fraction of the price. There are companies that will come to your home, remove the cupboard doors and refinish them and the face. Usually costs about $2k.
February 16, 2013 at 8:21pm     
nukiegirl
We did my daughters cabinets about 10 yrs ago in white. Used a special roller. Laid them out on 2x4 cribbing on the basement floors. I believe it took 5 coats BUT they sell a special paint for it. Back then I think it was $40 a gallon. Believe I got it at Home depot. It was esp for wood cabinets!
February 16, 2013 at 8:25pm   
Dotti Blanton
thanks so much for all these ideas. I'm digesting them all. Christine, I can't stain because I'm sanding, or roughing the finish. Stripping them completely wasn't going to work for me and where the previous owner had painted made the stain come out in different shades.
February 18, 2013 at 10:08am   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.