Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Wall texture help please!!
krystistaheli08
February 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have a bedroom we are trying to fix up in our first home. There are many holes and and a few cracks in the wall. I was thinking about doing a Santa Fe hand trowel texture, hawk and trowel texture, or trying to do another level 5 smooth texture. What is most popular for wall textures nowadays?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
krystistaheli08
The picture attached is an example of the Santa Fe texture.
February 16, 2013 at 11:13AM   
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
Selecting a wall texture really depends on the style of the interiors and architecture. What style are you trying to achieve overall... and what do you have on the other walls in the house... which is an important consideration
February 16, 2013 at 11:14AM   
krystistaheli08
The other walls have an orange peel type texture. We're wanting cover the damaged wall as best we can, while not making the room look outdated. The picture attached shows what we're trying to fix. It looks like that around the perimeter of the room.
February 16, 2013 at 11:20AM   
carolannr
I think it also depends on what part of the country you are in as well as your design style. Most common in my part of the country - CO - is the typical light knock-down. With careful repair of those cracks and problems, that's the most common solution. Because it is unobtrusive, it lends itself to most decorating styles. Santa fe style is heavier and I would say, a much more casual style.I do see some flat plaster but it's really rare because the cost is much higher when done by professionals.
February 16, 2013 at 11:26AM   
krystigomm88
We live in Utah. Thanks for the tips!
February 16, 2013 at 4:25PM   
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
A current project that I am working on (all new construction) I had all the walls done without texture. It is a very time consuming finish to achieve and once it is painted it is very difficult to make corrections to mistakes or damages without having to repaint whole walls... not just sections. Painters and contractors HATE doing smooth finishes.

A level 4 can be done with minimal texture at a lot less time and expense. I am not a fan of the orange peel texture... personally, unless it is a custom plaster job such as a venetian plaster or something similar, I prefer to go as smooth as possible, within reason of the particular project.
February 16, 2013 at 4:42PM   
More Discussions
need seating for 6
i am trying to imagine comfortable seating for 6 (2...
Airbrushing in home magazines???
My mum thinks that the beautiful homes in magazine...
Headboard Wall Art & Lamps
This is my master bedroom, and yes it is very cozy...
I've painted my office Benjamin Moore's Breath of Fresh Air-I hate it
There's no color at all. I thought from looking at...
What do I do with this GAUDY Rococo Bedroom Set? Help
So, very good friends of mine moved to the Yucatan....
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.