powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Open floor plan - This wall is driving me crazy!
angandjeremy
February 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This space consist of the living room, kitchen and dining area. Not sure to to design this HUGE wall that shares space! Sadly painting is not an option): we just installed black granite countertops and are going for a woodsy/earthy feel. I would live to sneak some prints and burnt orange in here some how. Ideas?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
angandjeremy
My panoramic picture didn't take so here are better ones!
February 16, 2013 at 11:15am   
angandjeremy
My panoramic picture didn't work here are better pics
February 16, 2013 at 11:18am   
PRO
Urban Ideas Inc.
Hi Ang, that would be a perfect wall for colour blocking. However, I understand that pointing is not an option....I would then try a book shelve to host your tv and fill the wall in the living room area. Something from Ikea, that's affordable and can be moved to another home with you. Then, on the wall behind the dining area, you can try a collage of different prints. Good luck,
Laura
February 16, 2013 at 11:18am   
Denice Shuty
If you can't paint, what do you expect to do, just hang art? Can you add moulding, veneer stone or beams? Can you change the light fixtures and flooring? What are you doing about furniture and window treatments?
February 16, 2013 at 11:20am   
hatokirei
February 16, 2013 at 11:25am   
angandjeremy
I'm thinking curtains for the windows, beige with print. I'm think about adding a furniture piece in the open area, maybe a hutch or bar like table but I'm still havering an issue defining each space. I would definitely hang art. Oh yes, the window treatments are actually brown
February 16, 2013 at 11:29am   
Denice Shuty
Before curtains, address your overall style, then furniture and flooring. What woods do you want to go with. I see an early american dinette, a trio of modern leather seating, and grandma's recliner. What are you doing with those?
February 16, 2013 at 11:37am   
angandjeremy
Overall the leather and teak prices are the foundation. My ideal room would incorporate living wall art, stained wood ( like mahogany) and spaces of color like burnt orange. This should be a conversation area not a bachelor pad (:
February 16, 2013 at 12:09pm     
solraven
Ang, how long is the wall?
February 16, 2013 at 12:12pm   
angandjeremy
The wall is approximately 26feet
February 16, 2013 at 12:20pm     
solraven
Forgive the mess, but these are pics of a duplex that we were renting a few years ago. I used the open shelving to unify the living and dining areas. Thankfully, the floor was the same throughout, so I believe that may have helped pull it off.

Do you think something similar could work for you?
February 16, 2013 at 12:28pm   
solraven
I believe this wall was 22' and the book shelves total 10'5", so it was just under half the size of the wall, but positioned off center with the TV to the left corner, and a desk at the end of the room.
February 16, 2013 at 12:30pm   
Denice Shuty
ang - if you can't paint consider temporary wallpaper to apply to that entire wall that will unify the space, then populate that wall with storage units that float off the ground. Pick a design color to unify your black, brown woods, beige and burnt orange. Stay modern and clean with the strong horizontal/rectilinear lines of that room. Add natural textures and tall, slim plants. Go to these 5 sites to look at temporary wallpaper designs - same concept as the Post-it Note. I will send you some other images. This could look very cool!!! http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/temporary-peel-and-stick-wallp-153453
February 16, 2013 at 12:40pm     
Lkristine
You do have a lot of wall space!!! I would get a nice entertainment unit if possible. Add your pops of burnt orange in accessories on the open shelves, curtain panels and decorative window panels. I'm sure there are many like this or similar available at many stores. http://www.nfm.com/DetailsPage.aspx?productid=36010627
February 16, 2013 at 1:07pm   
angandjeremy
Thanks for the ideas!
February 16, 2013 at 1:32pm   
solraven
Ang, the first thing I would do is re-arrange your furniture so you can get a better idea of how things will look. It looks like you may have a full sofa, love seat and two club chairs. I would bring them into the center of the living area, and off of the front wall, and pony wall. I would pull the club chairs forward and put the full sofa across from that, which will help define the living from dining space. The love seat would go opposite the TV. All of the seating areas should be intimate, or almost close enough that you can put your feet up on the coffee table. It's needs to feel like it would encourage conversation, not feel like you need to speak louder, for the person opposite, to hear you.

As for the wall, I like what Writely said as far as modern, linear and open shelving. That's what I had in mind for your space. Open, like the shelving that I had in my duplex, but for your space, I would go with a medium wood, like walnut. I also think that your shelving should be a little more random. Mid century, modular, clean and warm, with a touch of the early 70's.

For decor, I would add natural elements such as a driftwood coffee table, or perhaps a piece of driftwood on one of the shelves, or even a tree stump for a side table. The TV needs to be cleaned up. The open glass stands look great and clean in the store, but I have yet to see one that looks good once the TV is all hooked up and wires are everywhere.

Here are some ideas for the shelving.
February 16, 2013 at 3:33pm   
Denice Shuty
Here's some ideas with: temporary wallpaper; floating shelves (paint them in your accent colors); color-banded draperies; and using wallpaper or fabric to cover plain frames, creating a 3-D wall collage. Accent that ceiling angle!
February 16, 2013 at 4:30pm   
Denice Shuty
More photos showing color palettes, textures and patterns for decorating with black furniture. If you don't want the bachelor pad look that comes from having black leather sofa and love seat then add organic elements, stone, wood, bamboo, grasscloth, etc., and textures. That's why wallpaper would be a good choice -something organic-looking.
February 16, 2013 at 5:00pm   
Denice Shuty
oops, duplicated 1 photo. See these also. Here is the wallpaper or fabric stapled onto square and rectangular wood frames to create a 3-D wall collage.
February 16, 2013 at 5:03pm