Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with designing built-in
knc604
February 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Need to draw out a wall-unit for this wall. Need opinions as most pics I've found surround tv and whole wall and don't have windows to deal with! Thinking white cabinets/drawers all the way across wall and ending just below windows?! Help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Denice Shuty
Yes, I like the white cabinets/drawers across the whole width. I would design a piece that went all the way up to the ceiling in the middle so that it looks like a built-in, so the crown moulding at the top would then wrap around the front of the cabinet. I'll find some photos to show you what I mean.
February 16, 2013 at 12:08PM     
Denice Shuty
more styles
February 16, 2013 at 12:09PM     
PRO
Galleria Place
You need to hide the wires. http://www.bargainbacker.com
February 16, 2013 at 12:11PM   
PRO
Dytecture
I would end the built-ins right underneath the windows.

February 16, 2013 at 12:12PM     
PRO
Shoreline Renovations
This was a design we used recently to solve a similar request
February 16, 2013 at 12:12PM   
knc604
Thank you!! Yes will hide wires - tv was just mounted and then the idea of cabinets came into play. The white box on the right is covering some pipes so would be built over. Most of these designs would work better if tv was lower I think? I think the tv was mounted too high... Thoughts??
February 16, 2013 at 12:26PM   
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
Well is the tv at a comfortable height for you? Any built in will work around the tv and the windows.
February 16, 2013 at 12:29PM   
Denice Shuty
Yes tv is too high, an easy fix. Mount it just above your eye level when you are sitting down. Unless you only watch tv standing up.
February 16, 2013 at 12:29PM     
knc604
It's a good height for watching further back from kitchen table and bc it's angled down its not bad height from couches. Thanks for all the input!
February 16, 2013 at 12:38PM   
Kari Palomo
Something like this would work too without the upper floating shelves.
February 16, 2013 at 12:47PM     
Rachelle Plantagenet
Wow! This looks exactly like my tv and cabinet in my living room! I look forward to finding out what you do - please post pics. We mounted our tv high as it is safer for the kids (increased distance from their little eyes and less likely to be hit with toys etc) I wouldn't worry about lowering it unless it really bugs you; you will get used to it super quick.

I love the top left pic of the first remark, it looks great. I was thinking for ours of something like this pic or something off the floor completely and make the whole unit wall mounted- maybe with curved sides. If it is wall mounted then you can see more floor and the whole space will look bigger but it just depends on what you want to do with the rest of the house. Goodluck and please post pics :)
February 16, 2013 at 12:55PM   
Rachelle Plantagenet
My husband just pointed out that you may not want to build cabinets on each side of your tv because it will restrict the size of the tv you can place there in the future - probably a very important point to consider ;)
February 16, 2013 at 1:02PM     
knc604
Anybody have pics of something wall mounted all the way across that could work? Tv is only 42" so will have to leave open on sides of tv for resale purposes ;)
February 16, 2013 at 1:25PM   
Rachelle Plantagenet
Here is one on houzz which is mounted a bit low but it will serve to give you a good picture of how it would look in your space: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/68455/I-love-the-low-and-long-storage-unit-tha

This cabinet is awesome and modern http://vonwin.com/modern-and-multifunctional-tv-cabinet-with-hidden-storage-by-fimar/

Hulsta always have a good range of modern well designed wall mounted tv units which can be arranged to suit your individual style. Hulsta is an easy solution, looks great and very modestly priced if you can find a supplier in your area. Here is one which might suit you: http://www.huelsta.co.uk/uk_en/product_uk_en/living/simia/living-room-combination/var/7432/index.html
February 17, 2013 at 8:18AM   
PRO
TVCoverUps
You may want to try TVCoverUps instead of a bulky wall unit. Framed artwork or panel provides the focal point, until it swings upward to reveal your hidden TV. This will also take care of the hanging wires and can be built to accommodate your AV equipment, speakers, Blu-Ray and other consoles. It comes in automatic and manual lifts and also allows for TV tilting hardware. Each unit is custom to the viewer and room, so it is always best to give us a call.
February 19, 2013 at 6:46PM