powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How do I transition from white to espresso moulding and back again?
Kari Palomo
February 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is my kitchen island and I will be staining it espresso color soon. We have white trim moulding throughout the home and I believe from everything I've seen that the island trim should be the same color as the cabinets so that would mean staining or painting these espresso as well. Is that correct? So my main question is where so I start and stop the espresso and the white with this wall here? The wall cannot be removed either.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kari Palomo
Anyone? :)
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 6:50PM
Jayme H.
I would be inclined to do the entire island espresso...including the trim on it. The trim on the wall next to it..leave white.
5 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 7:06PM
PRO
BeautifulRemodel.com
Hi Kari,

The main reason the transition is a problem is because you have baseboard molding (of different size/profile to the walls) on the cabinetry, instead of a more typical flat toe kick. While the goal in adding the baseboard may have been to add decoration etc, it instead disconnects the toe kick from the cabinetry. My suggestion would be to remove the molding at the cabinetry and replace it with flat stock, (1" x 4" for example) which is stained/painted the color of the cabinetry (espresso) The transitions will be much cleaner between the moldings then because they won't be competing with each other.

- Steve
7 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 7:19PM
Jayme H.
Being this trim is painted, u likely would need new trim in order to stain it espresso...u could keep a wider trim or go for a flatter or smaller trim...this pic shows larger trim
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 7:26PM
olldroo
This is the hardest part about painting trim - marrying it back with the rest of the house. The white definitely stands out like a sore toe, but you do have a definite start and finish line on a corner. I would either do it the espresso, then your eye won't be drawn to anything or maybe consider painting it black and also painting the plinth under your other cupboards black. That will tie the kitchen together and separate it from the rest of the house. If you just use a black matte or flat paint too it will recede into the background, a gloss will stand out.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 7:29PM
rawketgrl
Yes the white molding on your peninsula cabinet sticks out there doesn't it. Just the molding directly touching the cabinet should be espresso. Have the paint store match your stain color in a paint for this. It looks like you have bead of white caulk running up the cabinet/wall also. That should be the wall color or it will really stick out. Cute kitchen, great wall color.
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 7:40PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
I agree with Steve and Jayme...I would use a piece on the peninsula that is taller than the base on the walls, that way it can be cut in and butted to the wall for the full length of the peninsula and the base on the wall can butt into it. Cut the wall base with a Fein tool or a Japanese style trim saw while in place (use a scrap piece of the new peninsula trim to create a guide and draw the saw along it perpendicular to the wall). Stain the cabinet and the trim, finish the whole peninsula and touch up the paint on the baseboard. I make it sound easy...and it is if you know what you are doing. If you don't and need more instruction, I'll try to help..or pass along our suggestions to your carpenter.
4 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 8:24PM
PRO
BY DESIGN Builders
Agreed with several others, your island is made of cabinetry, not wall board. It should have a trim piece at the bottom that reflects the connection to the cabinetry, painted or stained to match. A simple 1x4 would do.
Please post your after photos.
All the best!
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 8:30PM
PRO
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
I always tell my clients to consider the cabinets just like furniture. The wall is not. Paint wall, stain furniture, and I agree with all here, make the base higher on the island.
2 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 8:36PM
Kari Palomo
Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate it.

I'm a bit confused with the advice... we used to have linoleum in the kitchen/dining area and carpet throughout the rest of the house. The kitchen/dining area had rubber base underneath the cabinets and then the white wood moulding along the carpeted areas and also along the dining wall where linoleum was. We decided to replace the entire house with hardwood and decided to go with slightly larger moulding than the previous. We were going to carry that underneath the cabinets but it wasn't tall enough to fill it in. That is where the larger moulding came from. We looked at the plain baseboard but the heights it came in weren't a fit for underneath the cabinets. We could have cut it down but then what would we have done when it came out from under the cabinet and around this part of the island?
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 8:57PM
PRO
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Yes, Steve's got it right. You could also stain the base on the walls espresso which would look great too.

Hope that helps. Charmean Neithart
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 9:02PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
OK...I think I understand. At the toe kick of the peninsula, the taller base needs to double return on itself and stop even with the end of the cutout for the toe kick. So two miter cuts and a small double miter that creates a flat place for the standard toe kick to hit. From the side, the peninsula looks just as it does from the back, but you still have toe room under the working side. The detail is similar to what you did at the dishwasher, but out at the front of the cabinets. Is that clearer? You can go even taller and eliminate the top detail as it goes under the toe kick. The inside corner block would be eliminated and the three pieces of the base where it wraps around the outside corner would die into the taller piece where it runs into the wall.
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 9:11PM
More Discussions
Dining Room help -- paint and wall decor needed?
I need design help! I want my dining room to look "finished"...
Need to find this wall covering!
I saw this wall covering in an apartment in Barcelona...
I need helping picking a grey
I painted my living room, hall and foyer Benjamin Moore's...
Need help identifying this baby furniture item?
A friend gave this to me and told me it was a walker...
Houzzers, what are you thankful for?
It's the time of year to give thanks. Looking around...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.