powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What can I do with this fireplace? Love that I can sit in it but want to improve it?
tunnarr
February 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Do I just open it up completely and take brick out? Need help with surround!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lizabeth
what does the rest of the room look like? You could get two wood benchs and place them facing each other flanking the fireplace and creating an inglenook effect.
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 1:09PM
PRO
The Creative Man
Hi, No, leave the bricks. Is your house themed as colonial? I would update the brick area with timeless new pieces so it wouldn't look like a museum prop.
2 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 1:10PM
yvonnecmartin
I agree to make it an inglenook. Look at photographs of Frank Lloyd Wright's early houses to see examples.
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 1:17PM
njmomma
I would remove the shelf at the top of the fireplace. Remove most of your decorative items and just leave a large basket filled with kindle. Re-tile the base of the fireplace or paint the brick at the base (floor) and possibly change the wall color. Can you please show us more pictures of your room?
2 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 2:08PM
cwalbrun19
Depending on your style I would suggest it might be fun to paint the brick...white or even a bold color like teal. Again, totally up to your style but it would be unique and eye catching. You may have trouble finding benches to fit as the size looks a bit tight on either side. You could have some build to the right size, however, and put cushions on them in an accent fabric or something. Cute space :-)
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 2:19PM
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 6:14PM
rowekamp
Beautiful. I would get rid of everything that's in there now and replace with two very simple symmetrical benches (either built-in or very close to the existing dimensions) flanking the fireplace.
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 6:23PM
tunnarr
Thanks so much everyone for your great advise! I am chuffed to bits with your comments and help! I have just moved into the house and hav a lot of work to do! I have posted some more photos of the room was thinking of putting panelling in around the room and floor to cealing bookshelves?!
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 5:48AM
janroze
Whoa! Don't tear out brick or paint it. Any light neutral from white to cream for the walls would be great. It is absolutely wonderful the way it is. The trouble is with all the extra stuff. Remove the shelf above.

Be sure you benches come no closer than a couple of inches of the hearth's edge. WHILE YOU ARE WAITING to find or build the two small benches to flank it, remove all the stuff on the hearth and find or make comfy cushions for pleasant seating to visit and be warmed by the fire. Be certain the fabric and everything else there is subtle, so it doesn't distract from your uniquely shaped and all together fantastic FP.

If that feels too naked for you as you wait, put the huge basket back with seasonal stuff in it. Winter, it would be gorgeous with pots of poinsettias, fire wood or pine cones; spring with lilacs or cherry blossoms; summer with bromeliads or red twigs from your dogwood; and fall filled with pussy willows or mums.

If it is still too naked for you put the large candlesticks back and add a third that is a bit shorter. It could be a metal or one painted to match the main color in your room. After being extremely careful, I thought, and three fires from candles later, I highly recommend using only the battery operated ones.

Once you get your benches in place you might see if you still like the candles, one in each niche by the far wall and/or a thin fine iron table at the end of each for a cup o' Joe and maybe a book. OR you might find you would prefer two small, but really comfy chairs angled inward. This would be my preference, because I love being comfy as I enjoy the fire. They could even share a short hassock or ottoman with a throw across it.. Enjoy!
0 Likes   November 9, 2014 at 11:39PM
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.