Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Wood trim / door / cabinet color help!!
Nicki Garrett
February 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
So we are starting to redo our bathroom and bedroom, and before we can go much further, I need help with trim & the doors. We just refinished our bathroom cabinet and I love it! The granite looks good as well. The tile will be put up this weekend. Before I picked this color for the cabinets, I had been talking to my husband about painting all the trim in the house a white/off white color. So, I guess my question is, what about all the doors? Do I do them dark like the cabinets or light like the trim (that we are going to do)? The wood work in this house has been cared for and is in good shape, so my husband is having a hard time agreeing to paint the doors. What about around the balusters down the steps? I want the light trim to help lighten the house up. Thanks!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I would paint the doors and trim and baseboards white, but leave the stairs as they are.
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 2:20PM
PRO
Christine Bhe, Bhe Design LLC
If you truly want to lighten up, paint everything. If the doors are high quality solid wood and you can't convince your husband to paint them, staining them a dark color will update your look but you will need to do the frames and trim as well. Then, you may feel the need to repaint walls and lighten up other parts of your space. Either way, don't forget to replace the door hardware while you are at it. Good luck!
2 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 2:35PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
First time I disagree with Carolyn! I think the stained doors with white trim works fine. Paint the lower section of the stairs but leave the bannister stained. Practical reason for this is handling of doors and bannister happens constantly, whereas most people don't grab casings and jambs to swing around the opening (my son is an exception!). A darker stain will update the doors as will new hardware, but is not top of the to do list!
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 3:27PM
zenhome
I agree with Carolyn.
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 6:12PM
Jayme H.
For the bath, I think the cabinet is too dark to work with the door...doesn't match well..I would do white at least there. But then u have the other side of the door to deal with, which then wouldn't match the trim outside the room??
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 6:20PM
Nicki Garrett
Okay, thanks for the comments. I really don't want to leave any of this "fantastic oak" color anywhere. I basically needed to know if I should go the really dark stain on the doors with white trim, or do all the woodwork white? I guess with the stairs I should do the darker stain? (Since I don't want three wood colors in the house.). Right? I'm willing to put the work into it. And the hubs will eventually do what I think looks best.
1 Like   February 16, 2013 at 8:57PM
Kari Palomo
I like contrast myself and have white doors, white moulding, and dark wood flooring. Here is a pic of white trim around a black door so you can get a feel for that option.
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 9:14PM
Tori Baker
Ok .... Professional advice!!! The look you are trying to achieve is clean!!! All doors, moldings etc need to be white!!! Your eye will get confused and it will look extremely choppy with dark doors! Your bathroom doors are not the focal pt of the room!!! Your cabinet is carrying the weight and focal pt! Use darker colors on front doors that make a statement!!! Trim work should follow the same color and style throughout the house!!!
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 9:18PM
Nicki Garrett
Thanks everyone. I will pick out a white and get going!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 9:05PM
abbshel
I agree with Carolyn and Kari.
My colors are very much like yours. Darker cabinets, somewhat lighter stairs, and all my trim (including doors) is Sherwin Williams Dover White. I think it looks great!
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 9:15PM